Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2014, 09:23 PM

2 posts, read 2,494 times

Advertisements

Hi. I'm a single professional in my twenties(27) looking seriously at the triangle as a place to relocate to. I'm a computer engineer and I can already see that my employment possibilities in the triangle are very good compared to where I currently live, but what I'd really like to know before I move is: what part of the triangle do the young people hang out in? What neighborhoods can I get an apartment in that will maximize my possibilities for dating and socializing with other singles? What are the local hot spots and hangouts for the younger crowd? If you were(or are) my age, what part of town would want to live in?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2014, 09:44 PM

637 posts, read 1,054,758 times
I would move near the location of the job after you've landed it. You will care more about distance from home to work than you will distance to recreation.

Old 09-25-2014, 10:11 PM

579 posts, read 517,961 times
Glenwood South, Raleigh

Old 09-26-2014, 01:06 AM

1,965 posts, read 3,292,235 times
There are things for younger folks to do in the Triangle, but it really is more geared towards families. Depending on your perspective you may find the area a bit dull. When you're a young single professional you really have alot more options open to you in terms of potential cities and should explore them all.

Old 09-26-2014, 08:44 AM

660 posts, read 1,001,473 times
Default Neighborhoods

You might as well have asked "what neighborhood holds the most promise of me getting laid". LOL! More seriously though, I would think multiple neighborhoods around one of the many universities in the area would work; better yet, take a class or two and mingle.

Old 09-26-2014, 08:58 AM

644 posts, read 838,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoaminRebel View Post
There are things for younger folks to do in the Triangle, but it really is more geared towards families. Depending on your perspective you may find the area a bit dull. When you're a young single professional you really have alot more options open to you in terms of potential cities and should explore them all.
As a 27 year old single guy that moved to the area from a bigger city, I am going to have to respectfully disagree. I find there to be a lot more things to do. The good weather throughout the year , the relatively less traffic and the less expensive offerings for food and drinks make this area great for things to do.

OP - I think Glenwood South in Raleigh (I prefer it over Brier Creek, but, Brier Creek may be closer to RTP which may be where you end up working) and DT Durham are excellent choices for a single guy.

Old 09-26-2014, 10:35 AM

I'm not sure the "where to live" part of the OPs post is getting enough attention here. While the suggestions for recreation spots are good, the issue is that most single activities are done during non-rush hour times of the day, whereas commuting to work is usually done during busy traffic times.

Also as far as dating there is not really a cluster of singles in one area unless you're in college. The people you actually meet / will date will be from all over the area, and I think you'll find very few of them live within walking distance of the bars.

You'll be happiest if you focus on reducing your commute to work and driving to wherever else you want to go in your spare time.

Old 09-26-2014, 12:37 PM

4 posts, read 5,972 times
Live in either downtown Durham (where I've lived for 4 years) or Downtown Raleigh. There are plenty of things to do in both locations and you can walk. The people living in downtown Durham are generally Duke grad/med students or are young professionals. I've found them to be intelligent and generally friendly. I work in Morrisville and the commute is between 15-20 min. That is nothing if you've ever lived in a big city.

Old 09-26-2014, 12:41 PM

612 posts, read 1,275,959 times
I tend to be in the minority that I would much rather live where I play, and commute to work. The majority of things that I like to do happen to take place in Durham, so that's where I live. I work in the Park but couldn't image living in Morrisville and driving into Durham for fun.

I would suggest visiting the area and seeing which city/town is a best fit for you specifically. Spend a couple of days each in Raleigh, Durham, and Chapel Hill. The rest of the town/cities in the area are probably not going to interest you much and more suburban and family oriented. Good luck with your move!

Old 09-26-2014, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerTPJ View Post
Live in either downtown Durham (where I've lived for 4 years) or Downtown Raleigh.
But either would probably suck if he finds out his first job in the area is in Clayton or Wake Forest. It sounds like he's trying to choose his living location before he knows where he will work. Bad move.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary