Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2014, 08:39 PM

660 posts, read 1,006,432 times

Advertisements

I'm visiting the Triangle Thursday-Sunday (I've posted on here several times) since I'm planning to relocate to the area in 2015. Any restaurants you'd recommend, preferably in Durham and/or Chapel Hill?

Not looking for fancy -- but good, reasonably priced, and fun. Oh, and a great beer selection would help too.

I'm open to spots with "local flavor" too!

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2014, 09:04 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,333,920 times
In Chapel Hill/Carrboro:

Lantern
Crook's Corner
Acme
Neal's Deli
Venable
Southern Rail
Carolina Brewery
Top Of The Hill
Spanky's
Lucha Tigre
Tyler's Taproom
Milltown
Sutton's Drug Store (no longer a drug store, just a breakfast/lunch grill).

Check the yelp or urban spoon reviews. I haven't so don't know if there are bad reviews, but they should give you a good idea of what kind of food they have. All of these have a pretty good rep, although I just threw Spanky's in there for a classic Franklin St college restaurant.

I defer to others on Durm.

Old 10-02-2014, 07:00 AM

25,116 posts, read 16,209,782 times
where are you staying?

If you're going to spend time near/at Southpoint, I have heard great things about Harvest18. I'd think Lantern is a little on the chic side for what you describe.

You should be able to get some great answers. Downtown Durham is the food mecca of the Triangle.

Old 10-02-2014, 07:13 AM

1,509 posts, read 2,427,892 times
My Durham recommendations would be:

Bull City Burger and Brewery (as the name implies they brew their own beer)
Dame's Chicken and Waffles
Fullsteam Brewery (Has VERY limited food options on their own, but it's a regular stop of local food trucks, it's right next door to The Pit, across the street from Motorco, up the street from Geer Street Garden, and with local truck KoKyu Korean BBQ semi-permanently anchored just down the street)
Geer Street Garden
Guglhupf
Nanataco
Old Havana Sandwich Shop (Due to a business restructuring they lost their license to sell wine and beer for a little while. I don't think they've earned it back yet. That said, this place has the most amazing Cuban sandwiches.)
Only Burger
The Pit
Pizzeria Toro
Pompieri Pizza (owned by the same folks who own Bull City Burger and they also sell their beer)
Que

Old 10-02-2014, 07:18 AM

232 posts, read 553,162 times
Vimala's Curryblossom Cafe in Chapel Hill.

Old 10-02-2014, 07:38 AM

1 posts, read 1,220 times
I love Toast and Mateo Bar de Tapas in Durham.

Old 10-02-2014, 07:53 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,333,920 times
Oh, yes, Vimala's! And Cholonad is also very good.

Lantern has an excellent and well-deserved foodie/gourmet rep, but it's not that fancy-chic. It's rock-n-roll friendly. It may be a little spendier than you're looking for ($25 entrees), but you'd be fine going in jeans or fancier duds either one. The bar in the back is a little funkier than the dining room. The outdoor garden area is very nice, too, with glass roof. Very Chapel Hill.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Lante...07836549278963
Lantern Restaurant | Home

Old 10-02-2014, 08:14 AM

11,222 posts, read 8,299,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by garnetpalmetto View Post
My Durham recommendations would be:

Bull City Burger and Brewery (as the name implies they brew their own beer)
Dame's Chicken and Waffles
Fullsteam Brewery (Has VERY limited food options on their own, but it's a regular stop of local food trucks, it's right next door to The Pit, across the street from Motorco, up the street from Geer Street Garden, and with local truck KoKyu Korean BBQ semi-permanently anchored just down the street)
Geer Street Garden
Guglhupf
Nanataco
Old Havana Sandwich Shop (Due to a business restructuring they lost their license to sell wine and beer for a little while. I don't think they've earned it back yet. That said, this place has the most amazing Cuban sandwiches.)
Only Burger
The Pit
Pizzeria Toro
Pompieri Pizza (owned by the same folks who own Bull City Burger and they also sell their beer)
Que
Great list. I would DEFINITELY add the Federal (Durham), as it seems to fit the OP's request perfectly. And as also mentioned, Mateo Tapas is good, if not a little more high-end than some of the other recs.

^Great list, I think I need to read up myself and get busy!

EDIT: Don't discount DT Raleigh either. I won't write a lot since you didn't ask, but definitely search the forums for a LOT of good choices there. (I think it is arguably better for a foodie than Durham, but that is not the prevailing consensus...)

Old 10-02-2014, 08:20 AM

84 posts, read 160,089 times
Geer St. Garden in Durham!

Old 10-02-2014, 11:43 AM

1,716 posts, read 2,770,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post
Don't discount DT Raleigh either. I won't write a lot since you didn't ask, but definitely search the forums for a LOT of good choices there. (I think it is arguably better for a foodie than Durham, but that is not the prevailing consensus...)
Be aware if you do venture to Raleigh the 'Wide Open Blue Grass Festival' is going on in downtown Raleigh all weekend. If you like bluegrass that could be a bonus but expect lots of people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary