Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2008, 10:45 AM

2,835 posts, read 7,342,526 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NChomesomeday View Post
Would you mind sharing?

1. How much did you spend?
2. How much did you move (1 bed apt, 4 bed house?)
3. How far did you come?
4. What moving company did you use?
5. What would you do differently if you did it again?
6. Any other advice you have?

Thanks!
1. About $5000
2. 4 bedroom home. Gave lots of 'stuff' away on the from end...
3. 700 miles
4. North American Van Lines
5. Would have given more stuff away, some is still on boxes! UGH!
6. Have a job here prior to making the big move. If you have school age children check out the school and ask questions on this forum about the schools. Rent before you buy. We are grateful we did that, it gave us a chance to know the area before we jumped in and may have been stuck somewhere we might not have wanted to be. Decide how far you want to live from work and school, at $3+ per gallon for gas it could chew up a lot of your expendable income.

Good luck and the area is as nice as any to relocate to provided you do your homework.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2008, 02:36 AM

37 posts, read 72,729 times
I did the same...like most here...
I bought a 6X12 trailer for $2750 drove it twice from NYC (~500miles) to move a 4 BR house. Besides gas and meals I did not spent any other money.
I would not do anything different but downsizing is a good idea, but sometimes it doesn't work when you have a 5,000 dollars BR set that you bought 2 yrs ago and now it's worth 1,000 dollars...
The trailer was new and the ride was smooth. I can still sell the trailer for the same amount if I want to. I got a good bargain at that price :-)

Kate

Old 03-12-2008, 06:13 AM

9,680 posts, read 27,163,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alketi View Post
I did the same...like most here...
I bought a 6X12 trailer for $2750 drove it twice from NYC (~500miles) to move a 4 BR house. Besides gas and meals I did not spent any other money.
I would not do anything different but downsizing is a good idea, but sometimes it doesn't work when you have a 5,000 dollars BR set that you bought 2 yrs ago and now it's worth 1,000 dollars...
The trailer was new and the ride was smooth. I can still sell the trailer for the same amount if I want to. I got a good bargain at that price :-)

Kate
Now that's a good way to save money.

I wish I could do self-moves. Despite working out daily, my eyesight is so bad that I'd destroy everything banging into walls and doors. Using Two Men and a Truck in a few weeks for an apt swap within the same complex.

Old 03-12-2008, 09:48 AM

546 posts, read 1,678,862 times
1. How much did you spend? 5k

2. How much did you move (1 bed apt, 4 bed house?) 3 BR home on 2 acres to a 4 BR town home

3. How far did you come? From Massachusetts

4. What moving company did you use? AF (pack the truck yourselves they move it for you)

5. What would you do differently if you did it again? I would go for a real moving company

6. Any other advice you have? If you're new to the area, rent before you buy. You learn a lot more about the area, which neighborhoods work and dont work for you, when you actually live here for a little bit.

Old 03-13-2008, 09:45 AM

20 posts, read 82,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NChomesomeday View Post
Would you mind sharing?

1. How much did you spend?
2. How much did you move (1 bed apt, 4 bed house?)
3. How far did you come?
4. What moving company did you use?
5. What would you do differently if you did it again?
6. Any other advice you have?

Thanks!
1. $1700 (Moving truck and a trailer to tow one car + tolls + 1 night in a hotel
2. 3 bedroom home (we got rid of a LOT of things before-hand though)
3. From Southeastern CT - which is like another planet.
4. No moving company. We started packing 4 months in advance. It's amazing all the things you truly don't need in life. We lived out of two boxes for three weeks.
5. I would have rented a bigger truck to bring more stuff.
6. Don't go cheap on a rental vehicle. Cheaper isn't always better. I'd take a somewhat-more expensive 'yellow' truck over and 'orange and white' one any day. Also, don't be shy about visiting a few times before you take the plunge and buy a house. If you're spending $150K, $500K or a million, what's a few hundred dollars in the long run.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary