Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2007, 11:21 PM

61 posts, read 200,820 times

Advertisements

I am considering moving to the Raleigh area and would like to buy land to build a house in the future. I'd like to get around 1/2 to 1 acre or so. That isn't set in stone though. I just want enough area to build a rather nice home. What are the good areas to look at for buying land?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2007, 05:35 AM

128 posts, read 411,766 times
One option in this area is buying a lot in a subdivision where all lots are at least 1/2 acre, 1 acre, or even more. There are some that don't have time limits to build. Most have a builder team where you would choose one of 4-6 builders to construct your home. Some are "bring your own builder", where you can choose to work with any builder you want to construct your home.

You'll get a lot of great suggestions here. I'm partial to Chatham County because it's gorgeous with all the trees, you're close to Jordan Lake and the Haw River, both of which are great recreation areas, and taxes are lower, but it really depends on what your budget is and how close you want to be to Raleigh itself.

Old 12-29-2007, 05:49 AM

43,036 posts, read 76,548,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PennyH View Post
One option in this area is buying a lot in a subdivision where all lots are at least 1/2 acre, 1 acre, or even more. There are some that don't have time limits to build. Most have a builder team where you would choose one of 4-6 builders to construct your home. Some are "bring your own builder", where you can choose to work with any builder you want to construct your home.

You'll get a lot of great suggestions here. I'm partial to Chatham County because it's gorgeous with all the trees, you're close to Jordan Lake and the Haw River, both of which are great recreation areas, and taxes are lower, but it really depends on what your budget is and how close you want to be to Raleigh itself.

Good post by Penny. I would add a little to it.
Your budget will be a huge determining factor.

You can buy land almost anywhere in the Triangle, and in a great many nice areas. It is a very subjective project...
I would look in the Apex area, West and SE Chatham County, Orange County. There is some very affordable stuff in the Fuquay-Varina/Willow Springs area.

Lots of questions:
Is commute a factor?
Do you want to be in a subdivision, or not necessarily?
Urban, suburban, rural?
Availability of city services, water and sewer particularly... Is this important to you? Or are you fine with drilling a well and having an on-site septic system?

You can pay anywhere from $20,000 for a half-acre lot to several hundred thousand dollars for a residential lot on a golf course.
So, is a "rather nice house" in the $200,000, $400,000, $800,000 range, or higher?

Old 01-13-2008, 10:46 AM

Default More Info

Well I would say I would need at least a half-acre. The home I would want to build would probably be $700-800,000. I'm want to be act as my own contractor though, so I can build it for much less. That would be a factor in the develop I would go to though. If I'm forced into using their builders, then I have to pay their prices.

Quote:
Lots of questions:
Is commute a factor? It will be somewhat of a factor.
Do you want to be in a subdivision, or not necessarily? As long as I have options with my construction and can build when ready, then it doesn't matter.
Urban, suburban, rural? I'd prefer not to be too rural. I'd like an area where I would have some land, but not be too far away from things. I like being able to get to restaurants or stores pretty easily.
Availability of city services, water and sewer particularly... Is this important to you? Or are you fine with drilling a well and having an on-site septic system? I would definitely want city services. I don't want to have a well or septic system.

A view would be an awesome feature. I don't know how available that would be. I'd rather not pay hundreds of thousands of dollars just for the land. I'd rather put the money into the home.

If you have any further suggestions, let me know.

Old 01-13-2008, 12:51 PM

932 posts, read 1,265,546 times
franklin and southern Granville counties. land and taxes cheaper there, and commutable...we live in franklin co and hubby drives to raleigh each day...

Old 01-13-2008, 02:34 PM

820 posts, read 2,781,614 times
Since you answered the first question of price range the next question is how "near" Raleigh you want to be. Do you want to be 20 minutes away? As close as possible (meaning actually in Raleigh)? In that price range you have a ton of options. My personal choice would be to build inside the beltline off Glenwood and I am sure other would agree. MOST of the options there will be teardowns and depending on the location you might have some architectural restraints.

Old 01-14-2008, 12:46 AM

Default more questions

Well cheaper land and taxes are always a good thing as long as you are getting a nice location. Commuting 20 or 30 minutes is not a big deal at all. I'm living in Boston now, so as long as NC can handle Boston driving, then it'll be nothing. I guess with this, it is more about what the area is like 20 or 30 minutes outside of Raleigh. Is it still well developed or is it pretty spread out?

My home design I want to build is going to be an upscale home. I just want a great spot for such a home. Where would be the areas with at least a decent view of something nice to enjoy?

TLH1005: Are you saying the teardowns and architectural restraints are inside the beltway you mentioned?

I am starting to lean to a Mediterranean or European style of a home. I found a Craftsman style home that had the floor plan I'd enjoy, but I would want to modify the outside to the other style. So where would this style fit in? That may make a difference as to the location I would suppose.

MikeJaquish: You're an agent. Where would you build this style of home where you could have a view, but not spend a ton of money just for the land? Or maybe a couple areas you'd build?

Thanks to all....

Old 01-14-2008, 06:07 AM

43,036 posts, read 76,548,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwatkin5 View Post
Well cheaper land and taxes are always a good thing as long as you are getting a nice location. Commuting 20 or 30 minutes is not a big deal at all. I'm living in Boston now, so as long as NC can handle Boston driving, then it'll be nothing. I guess with this, it is more about what the area is like 20 or 30 minutes outside of Raleigh. Is it still well developed or is it pretty spread out?

My home design I want to build is going to be an upscale home. I just want a great spot for such a home. Where would be the areas with at least a decent view of something nice to enjoy?

TLH1005: Are you saying the teardowns and architectural restraints are inside the beltway you mentioned?

I am starting to lean to a Mediterranean or European style of a home. I found a Craftsman style home that had the floor plan I'd enjoy, but I would want to modify the outside to the other style. So where would this style fit in? That may make a difference as to the location I would suppose.

MikeJaquish: You're an agent. Where would you build this style of home where you could have a view, but not spend a ton of money just for the land? Or maybe a couple areas you'd build?

Thanks to all....
I have been thinking about this since you first posted.
I don't think an ITB knockdown fits your budget unless you want to be a pioneer, the first kid on your block. And I don't think it gives you much of a view.
The view can be tricky, since we live in an area that goes from flat to quickly rolling hills.
Long vistas are very difficult to find, and can be rural or very expensive.
I suggest a budget of at least $200,000 for a lot with city amenities.

I would search with public water and sewer as defining parameters, and go through the results lot by lot to qualify the location.
As a back-up, it might be worthwhile to consider subdivisions with community water and sewer. That means that the subdivision has their own facilities, generally professionally managed.

And driving around, seeking that privately marketed lot can pay off. It is a game of patience.

Where would I look?
Wake, Durham, Orange Counties, and qualify the lot when I found it.
Kind of broad, isn't that?

Old 01-14-2008, 04:32 PM

820 posts, read 2,781,614 times
I agree Mike; my ITB recommendation was based on him saying he wanted to build in the future so was thinking by a teardown now and build later.

Old 01-14-2008, 06:28 PM

51 posts, read 411,996 times
$800k in the Raleigh area is a tremendous house! I've seen some nice new 3500-4000 sq ft homes on an acre for a little more than half that.

Just a few examples of homes around $800k:
5000 sq ft+ and 1.5-3 acres.
Single Family Home - 4407 White Chapel, Raleigh, NC, 27615 - Realtor.com
Single Family Home - 900 Darfield, Raleigh, NC, 27615 - Realtor.com
Single Family Home - 9416 Koupela, Raleigh, NC, 27615 - Realtor.com

Last edited by jesseschulman; 01-14-2008 at 07:02 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary