Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-03-2014, 07:12 PM

810 posts, read 1,448,185 times

Advertisements

Watch Accuweather for a five-or-six-day sequence of sunny days after a good rain.

At the beginning of the sequence, get on your knees and scuff up the dirt to hold the seed.

Strew the seed and go over it with lime. Grass likes lime. Rake it in.

Water it gently so the lime settles into the ground.

Three days later a furious day-long rainstorm comes along and washes most of what that you did away.

Watch Accuweather for a five-or-six sequence of sunny days after a good rain.

At the beginning of the sequence, spread fertilizer. Water the ground gently so the fertilizer settles into it.

That night, Accuweather predicts furious thunderstorms, to wash most of what that you did away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2014, 07:33 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,416,510 times
Use a garden weasel to rough up the soil after scalping the lawn. Use the flip side of a rake or the garden weasel again after spreading seed/fertilizer to work the dirt over the seed. No straw needed and it won't wash away. A little labor intensive. Alternatively get an aerator and go nuts, criss cross your lawn etc. multiple times, then spread seed. Problem solved!

Old 10-04-2014, 03:30 AM

7,104 posts, read 11,585,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
Use a garden weasel to rough up the soil after scalping the lawn. Use the flip side of a rake or the garden weasel again after spreading seed/fertilizer to work the dirt over the seed. No straw needed and it won't wash away. A little labor intensive. Alternatively get an aerator and go nuts, criss cross your lawn etc. multiple times, then spread seed. Problem solved!
I am hoping for this scenario in my little corner of Durham - time to overseed!

Also I have to note that I've been hand pulling dreaded Virginia buttonweed all summer (lost battle, it took over half my front yard) (I tried to go no chemicals) and I got a spider bite or something.

Old 10-04-2014, 04:07 AM

621 posts, read 981,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorasMom View Post
Also I have to note that I've been hand pulling dreaded Virginia buttonweed all summer (lost battle, it took over half my front yard) (I tried to go no chemicals) and I got a spider bite or something.
I went no chemical with respect to weed control. Not sure I would want to do that every year though it only takes a couple of hours spread across the year.

Old 10-04-2014, 05:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by local2rtp View Post
I went no chemical with respect to weed control. Not sure I would want to do that every year though it only takes a couple of hours spread across the year.
I was worried about the neighborhood dogs, and the bees. I'm not really sure of what to do - that buttonweed is definitely coming back next summer, ugh. I won't use roundup, trying to make my yard a bees welcome zone

Old 10-04-2014, 05:35 AM

621 posts, read 981,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorasMom View Post
I was worried about the neighborhood dogs, and the bees. I'm not really sure of what to do - that buttonweed is definitely coming back next summer, ugh. I won't use roundup, trying to make my yard a bees welcome zone
Just being a good host or you need the bees for pollination? Honey even?

Old 10-04-2014, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by local2rtp View Post
Just being a good host or you need the bees for pollination? Honey even?
Good host!

Also today I found out you've got to be quick about the garden weasel - sold out of three stores :-/

Old 10-05-2014, 06:28 AM

9,358 posts, read 14,061,365 times
My favorite roughing up tool is a curved three prong (tine) garden implement with a long handle. Sometimes they are described as 'talon-like'. Just scrape the exposed soil a couple of times in the bare areas, sprinkle seed, and rake it in or cover with additional sprinkle of soil.

Old 10-07-2014, 02:08 PM

I ended up using a rake to rough up some sections (where I'd pulled out all of the buttonweed and left bare soil). Overseeded with fescue last weekend and have been watering every day - fingers crossed!

Though I didn't find the garden weasel tool I'd wanted, I ran across the nut gatherer on Amazon - that thing is magic! Gets those dreaded sweetgum balls AND the acorns. My dog's paws and digestive system are happy once again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
View detailed profiles of: