U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2007, 12:56 PM

161 posts, read 299,586 times
I feel the same as many expressed on here. I miss reliable transportation too. I do drive but a car is not affordable right now and for many other reasons I just miss NY. It's vivacious always a place to pick up and go to. THe world doesn't stop at a certain time it continues and it has far more personality to me than here, but for many other reasons it's nice here too. No regrets yet. Only time will tell. If someday life takes me back to where I came from. So be it. I am sure that is not an odd thing to do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2008, 08:08 AM

850 posts, read 2,199,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShanMan72 View Post
#1. Once there were there any things good or bad that you were not expecting?
#2. If you could go back in time, would you change your mind about relocating to the area given what you know now?
I didn't expect so many folks from places other than NC! Its a good thing. My neighbors are from all over; FL, MA, PA, VT, OH, CO, etc....and each/every single one of them came here for a better life so that is how they are living...better, more serenely.

I didn't expect the country roads and the many near misses! One main country road here is 55mph, its one lane each way and there are often huge trucks that cross over into MY lane. With nowhere to go but to plow over mailboxes or in a ditch....that heart in my throat feeling has happened OFTEN.

I didn't expect to meet so many really cool people in my community (don't get me wrong...there's some doozies too)!

I didn't expect to be in awe daily when I leave my house at the beauty around me (okay, not so much now but the rest of the seasons leave me breathless).

If I went back in time, I'd move here sooner (as house prices went up well over $50k from when I first started looking).

Lauren

Last edited by lauren4521; 01-03-2008 at 08:08 AM.. Reason: fix the quote I messed up

Old 01-03-2008, 08:41 AM

1,251 posts, read 2,860,172 times
#1. Once there were there any things good or bad that you were not expecting?

I wasn't expecting all the nice parks here. I'm in the Cary/Apex area and there are tons of parks all over and they're all nice. On a recent visit back to MA I went to a park because it's part of our routines with our daughter. The park was scary & the bathrooms were chained shut! I don't miss that at all!

#2. If you could go back in time, would you change your mind about relocating to the area given what you know now?

I wouldn't change anything 'cept we had a really bad experience with the realtor who rented us a house when we first moved here. I'm not sure what I could have done to prevent it as he worked with a reliable national company. You don't normally have to check references on a landlord/realtor property manager, but I guess if I had to do it all over again I would. But no, I would not change my mind about relocating here.

Old 01-03-2008, 11:47 AM

1,518 posts, read 3,760,312 times
It took me 2 1/2 years to stop my crying about moving here from CT. I missed my family pretty bad, and everytime it was someones birthday up there it was even worse for me. I came on a 1 year IBM assignment, and am still here and LOVING it. If you ask me now would I go back the answer would be NO! My family is still up there and yes I still miss them, but go back often, and they visit as well. I hate the weather up north, seeing that I don't ski or do anything outdoors in the winter but freeze and complain it is not the place for me. I do like to skate now but can do that inside, while drinking hot cocoa. :-) The people are friendly, weathers great, shopping's great, schools were great for my children, and jobs were always easy to find. I can't complain, but sure did do alot of kicking when I came. It was the best move for me and my family.

Old 01-03-2008, 11:59 AM
NCN

14,084 posts, read 12,050,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scorp200 View Post
I'll give mine but this is all really subjective so understand that what I don't like, many others love, and vice versa.

While I did take a short trip up here, the bad thing that I still didn't expect was that the Triangle as a whole is just...so...suburban. A prettier suburban than northern NJ...I feel like it's central NJ. I don't mean because there are so many people from NJ here...I'm talking about scenery and infrastructure. Now it certainly wasn't always that way so I've realized that the North Carolina I like is probably the one from 25 years ago in terms of development, and I might like the country much more.

That leads me to the good I didn't expect: In and around where I live it's quite liberal, cultural, and interesting...I was pleasantly surprised. Also unexpected - the great ethnic food. Unexpected - people tell me I can't get good southern food here.

#2 - I wouldn't move to the Triangle knowing what I know now. Mainly because after living practically on the water in FL I feel horribly landlocked. I would, however, move to Wilmington!
If you want some real Southern food, you can take a little trip to Shatley Springs in Ashe County. That's just about as Southern as it gets.

Old 01-03-2008, 12:15 PM

2,560 posts, read 5,593,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Carolina Native View Post
If you want some real Southern food, you can take a little trip to Shatley Springs in Ashe County. That's just about as Southern as it gets.
Agree 100%. Grew up going to Shatley Springs in Crumpler, NC (Ashe County).

It is closed for the winter and will re-open in the Spring!

Old 01-03-2008, 12:57 PM

23,651 posts, read 19,186,436 times
Default I think there is a different frame of reference here

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorp200 View Post
I'll give mine but this is all really subjective so understand that what I don't like, many others love, and vice versa.

While I did take a short trip up here, the bad thing that I still didn't expect was that the Triangle as a whole is just...so...suburban. A prettier suburban than northern NJ...I feel like it's central NJ. I don't mean because there are so many people from NJ here...I'm talking about scenery and infrastructure. Now it certainly wasn't always that way so I've realized that the North Carolina I like is probably the one from 25 years ago in terms of development, and I might like the country much more.

That leads me to the good I didn't expect: In and around where I live it's quite liberal, cultural, and interesting...I was pleasantly surprised. Also unexpected - the great ethnic food. Unexpected - people tell me I can't get good southern food here.

#2 - I wouldn't move to the Triangle knowing what I know now. Mainly because after living practically on the water in FL I feel horribly landlocked. I would, however, move to Wilmington!
Let me say this from the start. In my visits here to see my son and in my short time here I find people very warm and outgoing. I don't think liberal is the right word. I think those of us from up north have a concept of liberal/conservative and I am finding here that people have a concept centered on values and family. As a minority I am finding that people are as friendly to you as you are to them. If you strike up a conversation they will talk to you forever. The workers in the construction industry are very friendly and love to chat and share stories. They will treat you as an equal if you treat them as an equal. It has been made very clear to me that the term red neck has a different meaning here then up north. There seems to be a sense of socio economic status that transcends race. I may be wrong but that has been my sense as we contemplated relocating and went through that process and are now here.

Old 01-03-2008, 01:14 PM

92 posts, read 124,668 times
Love all the positive info I'm seeing here. We also considered a move to Georgia (I'm originally from there) but kept getting a bad vibe from that decision. I read a posted message on the Georgia boards similar to this one and the responses were ALL negative. Which reaffirms my intuition to not go back there. Plus too I think I'd do better in NC since the job market sounds better. That's about the only thing I worry about. I'd like to be employed when I get there but that's a stretch. I've been talking to a recruiter but still it's a big IF not knowing what's going to be available at that time. Thanks for the info from everyone...you're all wonderful.

ShanMan
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary