Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2014, 10:42 AM

1,054 posts, read 1,984,153 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by local2rtp View Post
Looks like the Town of Cary's long pending vision for having one grocery store for each subdivision will be realized soon. In the meantime, for grocery chains intent on infesting this area with more stores, maybe there can be some form of a levy to help run much needed grocery stores in the food deserts.
Better yet, maybe they can allocate a certain percentage of square feet to classrooms. Instead of being capped out of a school, you can go to class next to the frozen foods (bring a sweater!).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2014, 11:43 AM

1,907 posts, read 3,226,083 times
Can't wait for North Raleigh to get in on the Show. The more competition the better. And the publix I've visited in Georgia have been great.

My coworker zipped there on lunch and was raving. Something about how they had pie samples and they were way better than HT. Anyway I'll be stopping by after work.

Last edited by Taynxtlvl; 10-30-2014 at 12:00 PM..

Old 10-30-2014, 12:57 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,091,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
I can't imagine lining up to go to a Publix. It's a grocery store and most of what they sell can be bought elsewhere. I guess it's either the newness or nostalgia?

I'll wait until the hoopla tapers off to check this one out. None of the ones I've seen in FL were particularly impressive.
I don't get it either...

Old 10-30-2014, 02:16 PM

6,818 posts, read 9,046,612 times
I'd like to head over there but I'll also wait until crowds die down. Has anyone compared this to a Lowes Foods? I get the impression that Publix is more expensive? How does the selection differ between the two stores? Are there more gourmet items at Publix?

Old 10-30-2014, 02:51 PM

22,663 posts, read 36,747,725 times
Quote:
I can't imagine lining up to go to a Publix. It's a grocery store and most of what they sell can be bought elsewhere. I guess it's either the newness or nostalgia?

I'll wait until the hoopla tapers off to check this one out. None of the ones I've seen in FL were particularly impressive.
Not to mention one of the top stories on the news.

There were people there with full shopping lists, clearly had been waiting for THE day this store opened. And I heard one guy say "this makes me miss Miami".

Old 10-30-2014, 02:53 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,220,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
Not to mention one of the top stories on the news.

There were people there with full shopping lists, clearly had been waiting for THE day this store opened. And I heard one guy say "this makes me miss Miami".
Was he referring to Publix, or waiting in line to buy groceries?

Old 10-30-2014, 03:07 PM

2,863 posts, read 4,673,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zitsky View Post
I'd like to head over there but I'll also wait until crowds die down. Has anyone compared this to a Lowes Foods? I get the impression that Publix is more expensive? How does the selection differ between the two stores? Are there more gourmet items at Publix?
From what I saw the quality of the meats was better than Lowes and HT. The pricing appeared better as well. Their fresh bread prices were less than HT and the same or better than Lowes but Publix had more breads to choose from. As with any other store you'll have to price compare your specific items of interest. For me that was ice cream and beer...both higher than what I pay at Food Lion or Walmart market.

Old 10-30-2014, 03:38 PM

7,104 posts, read 11,589,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
N
Does that mean they have Cuban bread ?

I would only go there for that (I live nowhere near there)

Old 10-30-2014, 03:43 PM

7,104 posts, read 11,589,740 times
Quote:

This is a good point; I hope it's the bread

Old 10-30-2014, 03:47 PM

22,663 posts, read 36,747,725 times
Quote:

LOL - I was pondering the merits of the comment, and took it no further than that!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary