Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2014, 07:38 PM

190 posts, read 275,454 times

Advertisements

It's interesting how the definition of the 'Triangle' depends very much on what part you're from/living in.

Efland, Bahama, and Rougemont can all be very country
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2014, 08:04 PM

2,823 posts, read 4,473,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by behan View Post
It's interesting how the definition of the 'Triangle' depends very much on what part you're from/living in.

Efland, Bahama, and Rougemont can all be very country
I agree with those three being very country, and the Triangle is still a southern metro of course since we're in North Carolina. However, it's definitely a case where some areas are more culturally southern than others.

Old 10-09-2014, 08:55 PM

190 posts, read 275,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJayCB View Post
I agree with those three being very country, and the Triangle is still a southern metro of course since we're in North Carolina. However, it's definitely a case where some areas are more culturally southern than others.
Oh, I agree.

What I meant is that people in Wake County have a very different perspective than someone from Orange or Durham. You will see that reflected in the towns mentioned here. Being from Durham I am much more familiar with the counties nearby such as Person, Granville, and Alamance than say Sanford, Clayton, Fuquay, Zebulon etc. In the same way you didn't see Efland mentioned here even though it's in Orange County and directly off a major highway - but for someone from a Wake County perspective it's on the complete opposite end of things.

Old 10-09-2014, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by behan View Post
Oh, I agree.

What I meant is that people in Wake County have a very different perspective than someone from Orange or Durham. You will see that reflected in the towns mentioned here. Being from Durham I am much more familiar with the counties nearby such as Person, Granville, and Alamance than say Sanford, Clayton, Fuquay, Zebulon etc. In the same way you didn't see Efland mentioned here even though it's in Orange County and directly off a major highway - but for someone from a Wake County perspective it's on the complete opposite end of things.
Ah okay, I gotcha.

Yeah, Efland would be quite distant if you lived in Clayton or maybe Zebulon, not so far if you lived in Hillsborough, Chapel Hill, or Durham. I live in Wake County, but I'm on the Durham side just a spit from the Durham County border. Excluding Wake and Durham, I'm also more familiar with Orange and Alamance but maybe due to the fact that I visit Greensboro very often. Granville, too. If I have to go up to Virginia for any reason, have to go through Granville.

Random, but would you say Hillsborough is still quite southern?

Old 10-10-2014, 06:16 AM

251 posts, read 272,732 times
Most Southern= rural places, one stop light, no movie theaters, no malls, or 5min drive to supermarket, speaking with a twang?

Are these the qualifications?

Not sure what Southern is code word for?

Old 10-10-2014, 09:27 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,272,406 times
I think parts of ITB can be quite Southern.

Hillsborough is a bit of a mix, but yeah, I'd say you definitely know you're in the South when you're there.

Old 10-10-2014, 10:00 AM

1,701 posts, read 2,579,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mashiara4life View Post
Not sure what Southern is code word for?
What happens at a restaurant? Two characteristics of Southern ...

On a freezing-cold January day, your breakfast order includes "tea."
The waitress brings iced tea. Never crosses her mind that you wanted a hot beverage.

When you pay the check the cashier says "Y'all come back" and she means it.
"Y'all come back" is very different from "Have a nice day."

Old 10-10-2014, 02:54 PM

7,819 posts, read 4,545,588 times
I think the mere presence of a beloved Piggly Wiggly firmly locks Zebulon in the Most Southern camp.

Old 10-10-2014, 08:22 PM

715 posts, read 886,150 times
Wish we stayed country need I say more. We lost something here and that makes me sad.

Old 10-10-2014, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CardinalRed View Post
Wish we stayed country need I say more. We lost something here and that makes me sad.
Well, go a good 20-30 miles out of the Triangle in any direction, and you're safely in the country. Most of Orange County is still quite country in my book, same with Chatham, Granville, Franklin, Johnston, and Harnett. Still plenty of country areas in Wake and Durham! Hey, we'll always be North Carolina
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary