Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-19-2014, 09:45 AM

342 posts, read 386,028 times

Advertisements

My mid 70's mother in law is interested in meeting other senior singles and isn't sure where to start. I know that several churches have single groups for middle aged people. Does anyone know of any church groups or other groups?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2014, 12:57 PM

1,714 posts, read 2,756,657 times
browse through meetup.com Meetups near Raleigh, North Carolina - Meetup and see if you can find a group that might work

Old 10-19-2014, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitroad View Post
browse through meetup.com Meetups near Raleigh, North Carolina - Meetup and see if you can find a group that might work
Thank you! I looked there but the only one I found looked like it might be a little too young since it said most members were in late 50's.

Old 10-19-2014, 03:04 PM

19,367 posts, read 27,593,685 times
I agree that Meetup is generally not going to give her people around her age.

There are a variety of senior community centers and newcomer's clubs. I can make better suggestions if I knew where she is going to be living. And are there certain activities that she enjoys?

Also - is she looking for 'singles' as in she wants to date, or as in she prefers not being a 3rd wheel with a bunch of couples? Or does it not matter and she's just looking for people in her age range?

Old 10-19-2014, 06:58 PM

51,587 posts, read 25,520,612 times
Lifelong Learning programs might be a good bet to meet people her age.

https://onece.ncsu.edu/mckimmon/divi...olli/index.jsp

Osher Lifelong Learning Institute -- Duke Continuing Studies

Continuing Education at UNC-Chapel Hill: Think Again!

Old 10-20-2014, 08:48 AM

2,743 posts, read 4,797,156 times
re try MeetUp, and try searching on "Senior"
Raleigh MeetUp groups with Senior
comes back with over 10 groups.

Old 10-20-2014, 12:03 PM

JKGourmet - She lives in Wake Forest and probably wouldn't drive further than Raleigh. She is interested in music, gardening, arts and food. She's not really looking to date, per se, but wouldn't finding a male friend to do things with, if that makes sense. She is involved in several women only groups and wants to expand so that she might find a friend that is male.

Ed, I looked through all of those meetups and they seemed more geared towards people in their 50's and 60's. She's had a hard time finding stuff for those in her 70's. I will email a few of the organizers to see if any would have people her age.

GotHereQuickAsICould, Great ideas. I will pass those on. She likes stuff like that.

I really appreciate everyone's suggestion and help.

Old 10-28-2014, 07:24 PM

51,587 posts, read 25,520,612 times
The Universities of the Third Age, as they are called, are wonderful places for seniors who are interested in learning, music, the arts. They are always set on college campuses so you get the benefit of being around a lot of younger people but still have a place where you belong. The downside is parking is usually a bear.

Senior Centers are good places to socialize. Many have exercise, yoga, stretching... classes on all sorts of topics.

Check out the local Parks & Rec guide for programs as well. They have all sorts of art, gardening and cooking classes.

Old 10-29-2014, 12:07 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,730,311 times
If she just wants to meet friends, I would avoid anything with "Singles" in the name of it

And I think the reason most of the groups found online focus on 50s-60s is that 70+-year olds are in general not so comfortable using computers to meet people compared to Baby Boomers and later. I agree with checking into Sr Centers as well as simply finding groups focused on things she's interested in. There will likely be others her age involved. She might check the local paper or ask at a library (non-computer sources of information). Or maybe you could search on terms like "senior + volunteering (etc)" to assist her--though again, whatever you find online may be limited in the number of 70-year-olds who participate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary