Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2014, 09:52 AM

407 posts, read 1,074,656 times

Advertisements

Can't thank you all enough for your input. Some pro, some con, but honest opinions are all I'm out for. If we're to make the move again, it'll be within 2-3 years, nothing rushed, as was the case last time. A lot of things went against us the first time around, me leaving my job of over 20 years I think had a lot to do with things and how they went. Not that I missed my job, but that I landed right back into one that was the same, just a different enviroment. Didn't make a difference, because I was miserable doing the same thing again. Had I landed a job doing something completely different, I could say with absolute certainty we would still be in NC. I know my situation wasn't much different from others, because I've heard of their same plights. Me thinks I hit the panic button and pulled the move back because I felt it was the right thing to do for my family and find job security in an area I was familiar with. Now that I'm over two years separated from that chaos, I know now that I can (and have) readjust to a life without my former profession and be happy with it. The only void left is the area where we live. Honestly, can any of you convince me that FL is a better place to live than NC? Having experienced other areas, I say that NC wins hands down. Several of you have recommeded to stay put, let the kids finish school, and then move on. Well, that's fine for a lot of folks, but for me, the opportunity to raise them in NC rather than FL will be missed and can never be made up. If there was a reset button available for such, I'd hit it and start all over. Two years ago it was one person pulling hard at NC and the other not so sure. Things were chaotic at best and the move was a disaster. We rushed to find a home to rent, rushed to move out, had a HELL of a time with the movers, spent way too much on rent because it was all we could find in a good area on such short notice, and were coming to the realization that staying up there with no supplemental income was eventually going to put a strain on us. Today, things are different. Wife has graduated form school and getting experience under her belt, I have come to realize that I can (and have) reinvent myself and work other professions, and have made some good moves in regards to our home so that if we sell it, we'll do much better in the profit margin and carry that equity into our new home. Last home sale we cleared less than $3K because the short sales and foreclosures around us killed our profit margin.

Regardless, I'm not doing the move unless WE as a family all agree. I know my youngest daughter would like to move back, my wife is on the fence (simply because she HATES the process of moving), and my oldest daughter would probably be upset at first, but ease right into things if it happens. She still keeps in touch with NC friends via the internet, so that's a plus.

For me, it's not a wanderlust. If it were me saying, "let's move to Cali or Vermont and try things out there," I could understand the concern. But being that I simply want to move back to an area I once lived and stay there the rest of my life in my eyes doesn't fall into that category, at least in my opinion. I'm over the knee jerk moves; if we make the move to NC, it'll be where we'll establish our roots and make it a life there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2014, 10:31 AM

351 posts, read 693,446 times
Well, I'm certainly not the one to convince you to stay in FL. I lived there briefly. I'm there almost every year because my mother lives there. I hate it. I grew up in NYC, so I'm used to the rude drivers, but I wouldn't live in either place. My mother got screwed by insurance in FL, but she's stuck there due to career. She wants to move here to NC as well. She visits me in Cary a few times a year and she loves it. There are so many things to do as a family here that she doesn't have easy access to in FL. It's a lifestyle that makes Miami or even South of Miami liveable. She's not part of that life. I don't like that life. She could move her job here, but she and her husband are close to retirement, so she decided it's best to stay. Then she may decide after retirement to move if she's able to (She's sick so moving would be a big deal for her).

So, even though I wasn't in FL myself for too long, I can say living here in Cary is SOOO much better! I have kids too and I wouldn't have them in FL. My husband suggested moving to FL once. I put my foot down. I like seasons. At least here, there are seasons, and Spring and fall times are gorgeous! Great for picture taking if you like photography.

Old 10-23-2014, 11:34 AM

3,941 posts, read 6,725,641 times
I want you to know that in no way was I implying your desire to move was wanderlust. I was being brutally honest about my flaw in this regard. I lived in both Florida and NC and prefer the latter. It sounds like you have learned from the past and are better equipped to make the move if your family now decides it would be best. I sincerely wish you the best.

Old 10-23-2014, 11:34 AM

2,925 posts, read 3,340,662 times
Here is my 2 cents. You have gotten good advice regarding your family and your kids. When you were here you did not like it, you made the decision to move back to FL. I am not following why now you are looking back on NC in such a positive light when you were so unhappy here before.

I think you need to be 100% sure of what you want. If you are not happy with yourself or the life, moving here will not fix it.

Old 10-23-2014, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goolsbyjazz View Post
I want you to know that in no way was I implying your desire to move was wanderlust. I was being brutally honest about my flaw in this regard. I lived in both Florida and NC and prefer the latter. It sounds like you have learned from the past and are better equipped to make the move if your family now decides it would be best. I sincerely wish you the best.
Totally understand and I appreciate your well wishes. Hope I didn't come across accusatory because that wasn't my intention. Thank you again for the advice.

Old 10-23-2014, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sal_M View Post
Here is my 2 cents. You have gotten good advice regarding your family and your kids. When you were here you did not like it, you made the decision to move back to FL. I am not following why now you are looking back on NC in such a positive light when you were so unhappy here before.

I think you need to be 100% sure of what you want. If you are not happy with yourself or the life, moving here will not fix it.
Living in one place for years and moving to another, then moving back to the same certainly puts things in perspective. I lived nearly a year in NC and found every reason why not to like it. Those reasons were heavily influenced due to my second "career" choice which was the same career I was more than happy to retire from. The family I moved away from will be the same family that will be moving away from us early next year. The rest of my family, well, we don't hang much and didn't even prior to moving. I firmly believe that if many of you experienced living here after living in NC you'd strap rocket boosters to yourselves and jettison out the first opportunity. Listen, it' not that incredibly bad here; there are some things I do like about living in FL. Overall, though, NC is in my opinion the better of the two. Having lived there and experiencing the life, as miserable as I was at times for the reasons I described before, convinces me it's the better of the two. I'm not looking for opinion from others that only agree with my own. I'm taking all of this in and will contemplate this for the next 2-3 years. Who knows what our feelings will be then.

Old 10-23-2014, 12:37 PM

You mentioned that you family is moving away from you guys in FL. Was missing them a part of the reason you returned?

Old 10-23-2014, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sal_M View Post
You mentioned that you family is moving away from you guys in FL. Was missing them a part of the reason you returned?
Yes. As a matter of fact, they were hoping we would stay in NC because of their own feelings regarding FL, but here we are. When we realized they would be leaving FL early next year, it was a kick to the gut. We're happy for them, but we'll be sad when they leave. The kids are bummed they'll be leaving. The rest of my family, well, let's just say their beliefs are so tilted it's caused us to sever ties with them. Unfortunate. The only other family I keep in touch with has already told me he'll move his family elsewhere once his wife has their baby early next year. Not to go into details, but he was nearly beaten to death while at work only because the thugs had nothing better to do than gang up on him. Quality people living here, ya know?

Old 10-23-2014, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by touretteboy65 View Post
Yes. As a matter of fact, they were hoping we would stay in NC because of their own feelings regarding FL, but here we are. When we realized they would be leaving FL early next year, it was a kick to the gut. We're happy for them, but we'll be sad when they leave. The kids are bummed they'll be leaving. The rest of my family, well, let's just say their beliefs are so tilted it's caused us to sever ties with them. Unfortunate. The only other family I keep in touch with has already told me he'll move his family elsewhere once his wife has their baby early next year. Not to go into details, but he was nearly beaten to death while at work only because the thugs had nothing better to do than gang up on him. Quality people living here, ya know?
Is that part of you family moving here?

Old 10-23-2014, 01:40 PM

19,437 posts, read 27,832,770 times
Don't misunderstand - I love living in The Triangle. And I very much liked living in Florida for one winter season. But there are plenty of great places to raise a family besides FL and NC.

So, I'm not sure why you are so focused on NC, especially since it was such a bad experience the last time. I'm not being critical - it just confuses me why you aren't considering other options. You have PLENTY of time over the next 2-3 years, right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary