Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2014, 12:03 PM

39 posts, read 89,595 times

Advertisements

We just moved to Cary. We are looking for probably a 6 hour (10am- 4pm or something along those lines) preschool for our 4 1/2 year old. I called a few places like Bright Horizons, Knowledge Beginnings etc but they are super expensive, about $1000 per month and it's not even full 5 days. I seriously think this is a rip-off.
I know there are some church related preschools but they are all unfortunately full.

Does any one know of a decent place where they follow wake county syllabus or some sort of teaching syllabus?
I'm planning to spend up to $750 per month if possible.

Any help would be highly appreciated.

We live off of High House and Davis Drive. So anything in that area would be helpful.

Last edited by 2013carquote; 10-27-2014 at 12:15 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2014, 12:12 PM

455 posts, read 916,296 times
Pre-schools around here aren't cheap.

My son has been going to Peace Montessori since just about his 2nd Birthday and loves it. Price has been a factor for us, and so we started out slow - 3 half days a week, then the next year moved him to 5 half days, and now we do 3 full days 2 half days which runs us around 650 a month I believe.

They're pre-school program is only until 12:15, but as of this year they have a daycare portion in the afternoon, which is what our 3 full days are after 12:15. They do also go up through Elementary, which if I could afford I'd probably keep my son there as he loves it so much. Next year when he goes to public school we'll start our daughter at Peace as she'll just be over 2 at that point.

Peace Montessori School, Apex, North CarolinaWelcome to Peace Montessori School, Apex, North Carolina

Old 10-27-2014, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGMayor View Post
Pre-schools around here aren't cheap.

My son has been going to Peace Montessori since just about his 2nd Birthday and loves it. Price has been a factor for us, and so we started out slow - 3 half days a week, then the next year moved him to 5 half days, and now we do 3 full days 2 half days which runs us around 650 a month I believe.

They're pre-school program is only until 12:15, but as of this year they have a daycare portion in the afternoon, which is what our 3 full days are after 12:15. They do also go up through Elementary, which if I could afford I'd probably keep my son there as he loves it so much. Next year when he goes to public school we'll start our daughter at Peace as she'll just be over 2 at that point.

Peace Montessori School, Apex, North CarolinaWelcome to Peace Montessori School, Apex, North Carolina
Thanks a bunch for the response.

You are right. I think preschools usually are scheduled only for 4 hours and the rest of it would be daycare type of setup.. My son went to a church preschool in Charlotte which was for 4 hours a day, 5 days a week and it would run us about $340 per month. It was nice. But then we moved to Cary couple of weeks ago.

I like your idea of 3 full days and 2 half days. Peace is about 5 miles from our house. Do you know of any other such places in Cary around Davis Drive and High House?

Old 10-27-2014, 12:48 PM

2,924 posts, read 3,322,245 times
If you are looking for 6 hours I think that might put you in a position of being forced to pay for full time rates. Half day is usually 3.5 to 4 hours. Full day rates that I have seen are not hourly, just daily.

The thing about doing a couple of full days and a couple of half days is then your child will be in 2 different classes. If that is ok with you, then talk to the center to find out the options.

Near your location is Kids r Kids - Towne Village Drive (behind Fresh Market) They offer half day and full day, you can call and see what they have that might work for you.

Old 10-27-2014, 12:48 PM

455 posts, read 916,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2013carquote View Post
Thanks a bunch for the response.

You are right. I think preschools usually are scheduled only for 4 hours and the rest of it would be daycare type of setup.. My son went to a church preschool in Charlotte which was for 4 hours a day, 5 days a week and it would run us about $340 per month. It was nice. But then we moved to Cary couple of weeks ago.

I like your idea of 3 full days and 2 half days. Peace is about 5 miles from our house. Do you know of any other such places in Cary around Davis Drive and High House?

It's been a few years since we researched them, but I do remember that most were out of our price range lol.

Old 10-27-2014, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGMayor View Post

If you are looking for 6 hours I think that might put you in a position of being forced to pay for full time rates. Half day is usually 3.5 to 4 hours. Full day rates that I have seen are not hourly, just daily.

The thing about doing a couple of full days and a couple of half days is then your child will be in 2 different classes. If that is ok with you, then talk to the center to find out the options.

Near your location is Kids r Kids - Towne Village Drive (behind Fresh Market) They offer half day and full day, you can call and see what they have that might work for you.

Thanks for the excellent tips. Yeah, I'm not sure about the 2 different classes if I were to do full time and half days. To start with, we might just do 3 full days and then go from there.

Bright Horizons is a stone-threw distance from my place and they want $800 for 3 full days. According to them full time is 6 hours. They don't do more than that for that money. So called "Registration fee" is another 200 bucks or so.

Old 10-27-2014, 02:39 PM

347 posts, read 517,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sal_M View Post

My son attends Kids r Kids for full time day care. They definitely aren't cheap.

Old 10-27-2014, 07:02 PM

2,924 posts, read 3,322,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKlunk View Post
My son attends Kids r Kids for full time day care. They definitely aren't cheap.
I didn't say they were cheap but they are not the most expensive around either. They are a good center and well run. Their half day program is reasonable. I find all the full time rates all over are very expensive.

Old 10-27-2014, 08:12 PM

2,270 posts, read 9,122,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2013carquote View Post
I know there are some church related preschools but they are all unfortunately full.
All of them? There are quite a few, including Resurrection Lutheran, Christ the King Lutheran, Methodist Children's Center, and Peace Presbyterian.

You can find a more complete list of all types here:
Cary Magazine | Preschool Guide

Old 10-27-2014, 09:08 PM

48 posts, read 128,386 times
Genesis Preschool on High House Road is a wonderful preschool as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary