Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2014, 07:46 PM

272 posts, read 302,579 times

Advertisements

Anybody know the best/easiest way to repair/recover damaged pdf/html documents and files? Used a really terrible free antivirus (Avira) and got some REALLY BAD viruses on my computer. Now all my documents are unreadable. Both on my hard drive and on a usb. I've got hundreds of them!! Someone please help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2014, 07:48 PM

39 posts, read 47,546 times
What do you mean when you say the documents are unreadable? Are you unable to log into Windows to access them, are they just looking like gibberish when you open them, or are you getting a message that they've been encrypted and you have to pay to retrieve them?

Old 11-06-2014, 07:52 PM

22,651 posts, read 36,657,128 times
I know a guy who can probably save them. He charges $50 if he can, nothing if he can't.

Phil @ Advantage Computer. He's an interesting character to boot.

advantagepcrtp.com

Old 11-06-2014, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanman1 View Post
What do you mean when you say the documents are unreadable? Are you unable to log into Windows to access them, are they just looking like gibberish when you open them, or are you getting a message that they've been encrypted and you have to pay to retrieve them?
When I click on the pdfs it says Adobe cannot open the file because it has been damaged. Wordpad looks like gibberish. Html docs are blank.

Old 11-06-2014, 08:54 PM

119 posts, read 84,753 times
Default Virus eradication

Quote:
Originally Posted by ContainednCary View Post
Anybody know the best/easiest way to repair/recover damaged pdf/html documents and files? Used a really terrible free antivirus (Avira) and got some REALLY BAD viruses on my computer. Now all my documents are unreadable. Both on my hard drive and on a usb. I've got hundreds of them!! Someone please help.
Install and run MalwareBytes, then run a full scan with Avira to see if it finds any further malware/viruses.

"Free" antivirus doesn't equal terrible. Antiviruses can't stop what humans start by opening infected files/clicking on malware links. All an antivirus can do is clean up the mess after the fact.

Old 11-07-2014, 04:35 PM

This is what I get when I try to open pdfs in Word as well as Word docs themselves:

UOíœëa0‘vïÐdÈ
ü¶>elß?˳Òt²ìÈÆсãÙùn5 .2uéè̇LëFBO=ã¥6ëJ*ÁЄî?]ž'Æí“ñ*#k¦‹g½öjjÙÃÇ5<Ã#À1Ì:ø™ëãÔ5 wMíúÙ
½Î¢ P—µf["0[ï
Åk +8ÄàäÛX$Èe;‚ë:&Æš!’Ýýq7/øZG)‹×,}>õ—ž¾ËÖbYiûÒ`fÉ6üVKô`Û…PiAG t-0cHÙÓÁë9Ù¹£W[÷V'‹~öîøÛ$Ô:=,Bûÿ£ªo*kÒíДî–S¦~ê ÚõÔLA2蚨ŠcÖ<Ò›³/”íã©DÕÌÀ:uA¸ÂÑÇäWž{飽jÃÛô« LÅ[‘²£1ª@ŽÊà©m,;Ö*™Ta©‹géE
)Ê3!i¤Qõ…T":ºzZ×Æ ߤt»\²wY¸2Ì@n®Éž¡3OÑô3Ê!

#PËÇ-\,6·§óùf–ÿPÚ'…]Üj©p_N6äÃ/=kZD©}áu1ÕÍDD÷]f{ÿ²a—¸
žë ˜ˆ^ ÆÏ9ìçy 9»4´S‰‘—ê¥ãH
k£ÝÞ:rsø³ÚÇd§±:LòQ,V£<œäx<ïT¶¶@Ñ\i e†–$üƒÉË #£vóQ¬AD
>Xà8Lz‡2Œ–]{ÖèlçCÈ¡ÊÞ¤NoËs
•X‚f¿Aaœ8•n›v¡ÂzÏ!óãS¶:>‡7Îë”ç‰_ôvåè% FNÊoÞ½&§’¾x8€yó!ðr6&5’ƒ2Fu’úß
Þ›âÚ1ºó,^xUF±%
^:C)ÿ³Ø**,¸7K1<EBT;Î0mÖá‚Fd„„‹?Bó†Y‹ß‘Y âé†ñÜb}"^I.ÖÍÈ4Â8‹u¼¼GUC£SìÚ,û£² `¹>!rü8sÛÞèQÛOâÔd>*pˆ½¤rÞ\Oõ½Êвó ÓcÝÊ
oÏ9瘚8H]Š¿îâÏžùE&SåóEu-‹#a)`Li3¼4•ÿe|5!wJ«%ç=*è Å.`Ý«X™×êѝÏd7”Xk•+<ò—gŽYã¬Gã

Old 11-07-2014, 07:11 PM

621 posts, read 979,999 times
Try running the free anti-virus softwares. Perhaps one of them has a fix for the virus on your PC. Norton/ PC Doctor/ AVG/ etc.

Old 11-07-2014, 08:40 PM

871 posts, read 3,014,264 times
Did you perform a System Restore? My recently infected-by malware/Trojans was corrected by that means. Then I ran malwarebytes and I am good as new.

Old 11-09-2014, 01:49 AM

1,965 posts, read 3,298,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eloyfan View Post
Did you perform a System Restore? My recently infected-by malware/Trojans was corrected by that means. Then I ran malwarebytes and I am good as new.
Do this. It worked for me in a similar situation. Obviously you should also consider getting an external hard drive and backing up frequently.

Old 11-09-2014, 06:02 AM

2,743 posts, read 4,810,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ContainednCary View Post
This is what I get when I try to open pdfs in Word as well as Word docs themselves:
UOíœëa0‘vïÐdÈü¶>elß?˳Òt²ìÈÆÑ ãÙùn5 .2uéè̇LëFBO=ã¥6ëJ*ÁЄî?]ž'Æí“ñ*#k¦‹g½öjjÙÃÇ5<Ã#À1Ì:ø™ ãÔ5wMíúٽ΢ P—µf["0[ï×êѝÏd7”Xk•+<ò—gŽYã¬Gã
FYI: PDFs opened in Word or Notepad or any another program that's not a PDF reader, will naturally show you gibberish. Information in a PDF is not stored as plain-text that you can read that way.

Just like you would get gibberish opening up a Word doc in a PDF reader.

But your Word Doc, opened up in Word, and being gibberish, is definitely a problem, (presuming you are distinguishing between the different Word formats, ie *.doc and not *.docx)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary