Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2014, 09:33 AM

1,907 posts, read 3,228,788 times

Advertisements

I was taught in Real Estate school that the highest and best land use can and typically will change over time. I drive past Glenwood on the Beltline everyday, and as a former Design student I keep thinking that that Building is Hideous. Does anyone know when it was built? I know it's changed hands several times. And wouldn't we all like to see it raised in lieu of something truly grand, tall and gorgeous in that location. a "W", or "Hyatt" or equally impressive hotel and meeting complex? Just more or my random observations. Any other thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2014, 11:07 AM

1,067 posts, read 1,831,272 times
Ugly or no, I am sure the hotel is still quite profitable, and there has to be a really big upside to warrant demolishing a profitable 12-story building. Flood plain regulations would probably make the whole redevelopment process very complicated, as well. The wildcard is if some serious underlying issue with the building is discovered.

If we're going to see some big gleaming new hotel in the Crabtree Valley area it should go on the Soleil site. The 9-floor building that was torn down there had significant structural issues and couldn't be repaired economically.

Old 11-11-2014, 11:49 AM

544 posts, read 852,331 times
It must be doing okay, in spite of its terrible location.

If you want to exit the hotel and head westbound, you're fine. But if you want to go in-bound on Glenwood, you have to make a u-turn, and the exit from Century Dr. onto Lead Mine only helps you if you are headed north. Good luck turning left on Lead Mine when its busy.

I wonder how the hotels perched up on the hill on Arrow Drive do. If you're not from the area, you could have a challenging time getting in and out since -- from down on Glenwood, it's not clear how to get to where you are going. (for those of us who are visual learners.)

I'm surprised the Soleil site hasn't been developed yet. Maybe Crabtree is saturated with rooms at the moment.

Old 11-11-2014, 11:59 AM

4,304 posts, read 5,988,329 times
Soleil site just went back on the market a few weeks ago...there will certainly be interest, but don't know if they'll pay the $7.5 million asking price.

Old 11-11-2014, 12:51 PM

9,145 posts, read 14,762,210 times
Keep in mind the 7.5 mil includes SIGNIFICANT underground foundation work that can easily be adapted to other building designs. Might not have been needed for a 6 story building but anything decently tall it would be.

Old 11-11-2014, 04:46 PM

2,047 posts, read 2,517,222 times
Slightly off topic. Why are there so many hotels in that area anyway. I'm sure they are doing well. Otherwise they wouldn't keep building them. It just seems a little strange for a mall area to have more hotels than DT. I suspicion is that the hotels serve the arena also. I could be wrong.

Back on topic. I got married in the Holliday Inn Crabtree ballroom. It's a nice hotel inside. Nice rooms. Nice restaurant/bar. At least 14 years ago. The outside has alway been ugly.

Old 11-12-2014, 07:07 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,936,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atowwn View Post
Slightly off topic. Why are there so many hotels in that area anyway. I'm sure they are doing well. Otherwise they wouldn't keep building them. It just seems a little strange for a mall area to have more hotels than DT. I suspicion is that the hotels serve the arena also. I could be wrong.
I'm sure a lot of businesses in the area use those hotels - mine does (albeit the Marriott ones).

Old 11-12-2014, 10:57 AM

10,728 posts, read 22,822,690 times
It first opened as a Howard Johnson's, probably around the same time Crabtree opened in 1972. Be aware that when Crabtree opened, it was very exciting and the "hot new mall" (largest between DC and Atlanta, at the time) and that part of town got a lot of buzz, similar to how the North Hills area is now.

Update: The Wake property website shows it to have been built in 1973, with an addition (the restaurant, probably) in 1981 (though they list the dates backwards).

Old 11-12-2014, 11:38 AM

544 posts, read 852,331 times
There is an awesome slide show of Glenwood Ave photos here:

A Glenwood Avenue Timeline | Raleigh Public Record

Check out the one titled "Glenwood Ave is Built". It's from 1938. Check out the intersection of Glenwood and Leadmine near the center of the photo.

Old 11-12-2014, 11:59 AM

10,728 posts, read 22,822,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emitchell View Post
There is an awesome slide show of Glenwood Ave photos here:

A Glenwood Avenue Timeline | Raleigh Public Record

Check out the one titled "Glenwood Ave is Built". It's from 1938. Check out the intersection of Glenwood and Leadmine near the center of the photo.
Very interesting! But frustrating that the photos are so small

Also, while the "Raleigh Beltline" opened in 1965 past Glenwood, it most certainly was NOT "Interstate 440" yet! That didn't happen until the 1990s. At the time, the Beltline (such as it was) was generally known as "1/64" IIRC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
View detailed profiles of: