Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2014, 06:29 PM

2,925 posts, read 3,341,119 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncbeckster View Post
I was thinking you might have luck with the Cary Parks and Recreation.

I know that the Food Bank of Central and Eastern North Carolina has kids days at the Raleigh and Durham branches.

The library would be another suggestion.

If your son is artistic, he might enjoy taking children's classes at the Wine and Design in Cary.
Yes, do check the library. Some branches offer a lego programs and different specials on the weekend. Also in addition you can check out Cary Arts Center.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2014, 09:29 AM

122 posts, read 151,475 times
Thanks for the suggestions. We are signing him up for basketball. Any other suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks so much!

Old 11-18-2014, 08:17 AM

633 posts, read 1,164,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomitillo26 View Post
Hey congratulations on your move. I'm in the same boat as you with a 9 year old and we are moving down to Raleigh next June. My plan is for him to "shadow" the fourth grade class in the school we chose. The school actually encouraged this. It will allow him to meet some of the kids who will be in his fifth grade class in August. Also he participates in baseball and basketball and I'm currently looking at some of the summer camps and clinics for this, figuring he will meet kids there as well.

I know a move to a new area is tough on them, but they are at an age where they make friends quickly. The boys seem to make friends a little quicker than the girls.

Hey there! What do you mean shadow? Before you move? I'm very nervous for my 2 as well, they will be in 6th and 7th grade, and my 6th grader is a Sept baby so she will be the youngest in her grade there for sure as the cut off is early.

Old 11-18-2014, 08:41 AM

21 posts, read 20,008 times
Out of curiosity, where in CA did you move from? We moved here from Santa Clarita this spring. Our 12 year old son is in 7th grade.

Old 11-18-2014, 09:43 AM

10,728 posts, read 22,827,176 times
People are suggesting great outlets, but since nobody knows what kinds of things your son is interested in, may be missing the mark. You've mentioned basketball and that will go a long way.

Find something he liked to do before and see what is here in that vein. If he is artistic, there are lots of youth theatre groups/camps at places such as Raleigh Little Theatre. Also maybe group guitar (or whatever) lessons or a local chorus. You didn't mention a church, but if you join one, they will have a youth group (presuming it is not cliquey which they can be).

Old 11-19-2014, 12:25 PM

We moved from the San Fernando Valley… Woodland Hills area. We weren't far from each other! How do you like it here? We love it… Just trying to get our son used to The change. That people are so kind and it's so beautiful here :-)

Old 11-19-2014, 05:50 PM

379 posts, read 517,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
People are suggesting great outlets, but since nobody knows what kinds of things your son is interested in, may be missing the mark. You've mentioned basketball and that will go a long way.
Yes basketball goes a long way there, go Duke!! I mentioned "shadowing" before. What I meant by that is he will sit in the fourth grade class in the school we chose for a full school day. He will follow the lessons for the day and complete any work that the class is doing. He will have the opportunity to meet the kids he will be in 5th grade with, which is great. We plan on doing this during the week in February that he is off from school here.

Old 11-19-2014, 06:21 PM

That is awesome! Your kiddo will prob really enjoy that. My son had to jump in, and they started in July. He just started in Oct!

Old 11-19-2014, 07:29 PM

527 posts, read 686,817 times
Have you joined the Y? I think you will find a lot of folks in your same boat. There's the Cary Y, and if you're willing to drive, the Alexander Y downtown - you will be extremely well connected.

Old 11-19-2014, 07:54 PM

379 posts, read 517,795 times
I hope so. We have him in Catholic school up here and we are going to put him in a Catholic school down there. They even suggested that he wear his school uniform the day he goes. I don't know if he is going to like that lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary