Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2014, 04:32 PM

527 posts, read 686,604 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
How do you feel about a critic's scathing review of an actor's performance or the performance of an ensemble in any sort of movie, TV show, etc?

Because, once you put something out there on the Internet and you plug your production company, you are pretty much opening yourself up to whatever criticism that is hurled your way.

I think that any and all criticism is acceptable when it comes to professional work, and they've set themselves up as professionals no matter what they say about how this is something they do just for "fun."

I'm pretty sure that Ashton Kutcher started "punking" his friends before he actually made a TV show out of it, but once it was out there in the public domain, it was open to criticism from the masses.

Of course, if either blogger had ACTUALLY threatened the family in any way, I would absolutely not be okay with that. I might find them smug and doofy, but I sure think that they don't deserve to be physically harmed or threatened in any way.

There's criticism and there's violence. These two bloggers were not pulling back any punches, but at the end of the day, it was just criticism.
I think about it this way. If I did a poor job at my job, my performance review would not be good. But if, in my yearly review, my boss said I was the worst thing to happen to my company and told me to eff off, and eff those who like me, I think that's counterproductive.

Old 11-19-2014, 04:43 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,241,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caarmour View Post
I think about it this way. If I did a poor job at my job, my performance review would not be good. But if, in my yearly review, my boss said I was the worst thing to happen to my company and told me to eff off, and eff those who like me, I think that's counterproductive.
Which makes sense for a private citizen doing work that's not public.

But... if you were, oh... say... a news anchor or a co-host on The View, don't you think that you'd have bloggers and other random people feeling absolutely free to criticize your performances?

That's how it goes with performers.

Same thing with politicians. And you've gotten to the heart of why I've never much wanted to be a celebrity.

Minor aside: You would not BELIEVE the things that people say to the moderators here at City-Data sometimes, just for doing our jobs.

We've all been called names that I won't repeat on the forum, or they'd be replaced mostly by asterisks. And I don't get paid to moderate here. I'm pretty sure the Holderness clan have gotten paid for those videos.

Just saying.

(Note: Most of the people who post here are lovely... occasionally cranky, but that's not a big deal. The exceptions are incredibly vicious.)

Old 11-19-2014, 04:48 PM

527 posts, read 686,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
Which makes sense for a private citizen doing work that's not public.

But... if you were, oh... say... a news anchor or a co-host on The View, don't you think that you'd have bloggers and other random people feeling absolutely free to criticize your performances?

That's how it goes with performers.

Same thing with politicians. And you've gotten to the heart of why I've never much wanted to be a celebrity.

Minor aside: You would not BELIEVE the things that people say to the moderators here at City-Data sometimes, just for doing our jobs.

We've all been called names that I won't repeat on the forum, or they'd be replaced mostly by asterisks. And I don't get paid to moderate here. I'm pretty sure they've gotten paid for those videos.

Just saying.

(Note: Most of the people who post here are lovely... occasionally cranky, but that's not a big deal. The exceptions are incredibly vicious.)
see that's the thing. I am a performer (one day, I will tell you about my time on the X-Factor). Just because you put something out there doesn't mean you want to be ripped apart. I love to sing, and I'm good at it. Maybe you didn't like my last album, or maybe my songwriting isn't strong, all fair criticism. But to straight up just rip something apart simply because you're not into it? Not cool, and extremely unhelpful, especially for an artist (or what have you) that is trying to really hone their craft.

Old 11-19-2014, 05:25 PM

238 posts, read 669,115 times
They both used to be in TV and now work for their own PR firm. Looks like they are getting some PR.

About Us | Greenroom CommunicationsGreenroom Communications

Old 11-19-2014, 05:35 PM

Quote:
see that's the thing. I am a performer (one day, I will tell you about my time on the X-Factor). Just because you put something out there doesn't mean you want to be ripped apart. I love to sing, and I'm good at it. Maybe you didn't like my last album, or maybe my songwriting isn't strong, all fair criticism. But to straight up just rip something apart simply because you're not into it? Not cool, and extremely unhelpful, especially for an artist (or what have you) that is trying to really hone their craft.
Well, I do agree that it's not necessarily nice, but that is how it goes with anyone who puts his/her self in the public eye as a performer.

People have the right to their opinions, good and bad. Do you get annoyed when people who like your music don't have anything useful to say about it either? Because telling you they like it but having no idea why might make you feel nice, but that's the only way it is helpful.

I don't really get being hateful to people either, not really. I wouldn't write a blog like the ones those people wrote. I might write a critical blog (if I could be fussed to do it, but likely that wouldn't happen with the Holdernesses because I simply don't care enough about what they're doing to bother). If I did write a critical blog, I would not resort to ranting. I think that people either enjoy a rant or they ignore it entirely. So, if you're wanting the object of your rant to pay attention to you and change in some way, it's just not gonna happen.

Thoughtful criticism is far more helpful, after the initial hurt/irritation with it wears off. Don't you agree?

Old 11-19-2014, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffm View Post
They both used to be in TV and now work for their own PR firm. Looks like they are getting some PR.

About Us | Greenroom CommunicationsGreenroom Communications
Yup. I recall that from the last Holderness thread.

There's no such thing as bad press, right? I mean, until the sex scandal drops. Then, there's always Playboy or something.

Old 11-19-2014, 05:58 PM

7,822 posts, read 4,562,395 times
Quote:
Sorry, no sale. Before I retired I worked in the production side of TV and while it was seldom giggles to have my work eviscerated, it happens. Once the product was put out there I had no expectations about how the work would be evaluated aside from meeting the goals of the person financing the effort. Of course it's always swell to have your work loved, but it's more swell to have the phone continue to ring asking for your involvement in additional projects.

Old 11-19-2014, 06:39 PM

1,521 posts, read 2,764,863 times
I find them to be annoying, yet irrelevant.

Old 11-20-2014, 11:53 AM

633 posts, read 1,164,730 times
I think it's hysterical.....and if they make $$$ on it eventually, good for them!

Old 11-20-2014, 11:57 AM

Someone turned me on to this blog (which I found to be quite thoughtful) about gender issues with that most recent video (which I still have not watched).

Holderness Family Thanksgiving Video Has Gender Stereotype

On edit: I watched about 15 seconds of it. Can't watch the rest. I get her point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary