Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2015, 08:30 AM

138 posts, read 154,004 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC2RDU View Post
I thought I felt the earth move the other day, now I know why.

I've been to the new Publix in Cary and expected to leave a changed man; sadly I left with only a bag of apples and a fundamental lack of understanding why people get excited about the place.
Found this thread in regards to the opening of Publix in the area. I have been waiting for the insanity to die down before I made the trek out there.....

Just dropped by the Publix in Cary to check it out. I left feeling unimpressed. I didn't find it offered more than my local Kroger or Lowe's. Harris-Teeter and Whole Foods surpass Publix, although prices are undoubtedly higher. I'm hoping the Wegman's rumor that they are looking into this area is true. It's always good to have more options, I guess, but I wouldn't spend the gas or time to go out to Publix again. Just my opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2015, 09:49 AM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,409,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoMo_Gnome View Post
Found this thread in regards to the opening of Publix in the area. I have been waiting for the insanity to die down before I made the trek out there.....

Just dropped by the Publix in Cary to check it out. I left feeling unimpressed. I didn't find it offered more than my local Kroger or Lowe's. Harris-Teeter and Whole Foods surpass Publix, although prices are undoubtedly higher. I'm hoping the Wegman's rumor that they are looking into this area is true. It's always good to have more options, I guess, but I wouldn't spend the gas or time to go out to Publix again. Just my opinion.
There's people who love Publix, those who hate it, and those who think it's just OK. I personally fall in the first group. It's a huge difference from every other grocery store, except maybe Wegmans and Whole Foods. Publix does the basics right where so many other chains fail.

Old 06-22-2015, 10:51 AM

195 posts, read 285,882 times
Publix has better bread than Harris Teeter or Kroger -- HT has rock hard shells or it's "flavored" and Kroger is extremely hit-or-miss, if they even have any. Publix fruit/vegetables is as good as HT but cheaper. Meats/seafood are cheaper at Publix as well. The variety of products is also greater in a Publix. HT product selections change. Just this past weekend, 2 products disappeared. I had to go to Food Lion to get them. And personally, I like the bright aesthetic of Publix over the darker HT. I expect to see some blacklight's and 70's velvet posters in the HT beer/wine section soon.

Whole Foods is out of my budget.

Old 06-22-2015, 11:44 AM

21,020 posts, read 27,221,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
There's people who love Publix, those who hate it, and those who think it's just OK. I personally fall in the first group. It's a huge difference from every other grocery store, except maybe Wegmans and Whole Foods. Publix does the basics right where so many other chains fail.
Publix has been consistent in many ways to remain successful.

Publix has affected several competitors. Bi-Lo, Food Lion and Winn Dixie, chains that have operated in Publix's footprint, have closed numerous stores and exited markets. Kroger is focusing on increasing its presence in the southeastern United States because of Publix's growth. It acquired Harris Teeter. It may be entering Florida in the near future.

Publix will affect Food Lion, Harris Teeter, Kroger and Lowe's Foods. If competitors do not improve and sales decline, their stores may close.

Old 06-22-2015, 04:27 PM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,409,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
Publix has been consistent in many ways to remain successful.

Publix has affected several competitors. Bi-Lo, Food Lion and Winn Dixie, chains that have operated in Publix's footprint, have closed numerous stores and exited markets. Kroger is focusing on increasing its presence in the southeastern United States because of Publix's growth. It acquired Harris Teeter. It may be entering Florida in the near future.

Publix will affect Food Lion, Harris Teeter, Kroger and Lowe's Foods. If competitors do not improve and sales decline, their stores may close.
Agreed. As of right now, though, there is only one Publix store in the Triangle. There are two more coming next year and more will come after that. Publix is committed to the area. Once more stores open, I think people's opinions of the chain will change and it'll become welcomed. Plus, as you mentioned, they will likely overtake the competition. Publix has never closed a store.

Old 06-22-2015, 07:40 PM

19 posts, read 26,472 times
I love Publix. I just moved here from TN a few months ago, and I really miss their stores. Publix stores are so clean and the staff is extremely helpful. There was a product I was looking for that my local store did not carry, so the manager offered to drive to another Publix for me to get me what I needed! I told her that was not necessary, but I was blown away by the offer. I'm new to Harris Teeter, but I was hoping it would be very similar to Publix. Their stores just don't seem as clean to me and their check out process takes forever! And not once has anyone ever offered to help me out to my car with my groceries, at Publix I never even had to ask.

Old 06-22-2015, 09:22 PM

9,576 posts, read 7,323,454 times
Quote:
Agreed. Publix has never closed a store.
That's pretty good for Publix, which has over 1,100 stores. I read in an article once that over the years, Wegmans had to close nine stores that failed to generate adequate revenues.

Old 06-22-2015, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Agreed. As of right now, though, there is only one Publix store in the Triangle. There are two more coming next year and more will come after that. Publix is committed to the area. Once more stores open, I think people's opinions of the chain will change and it'll become welcomed. Plus, as you mentioned, they will likely overtake the competition. Publix has never closed a store.
Publix rarely closes stores unless they are low performing. Most older stores that are rebuilding close temporarily, are demolished, and built as new stores. Publix has a net gain of stores each year.

I doubt three store sites in the Raleigh area is enough for Publix to make an impact. It needs to open more stores.

Old 06-22-2015, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
That's pretty good for Publix, which has over 1,100 stores. I read in an article once that over the years, Wegmans had to close nine stores that failed to generate adequate revenues.
Publix operates 1,102 stores in six states at the moment.

Wegman's operates approximately 84 stores in six states. Its footprint is large, but it does not appear to have enough stores.

Old 06-22-2015, 11:25 PM

9,576 posts, read 7,323,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
Publix operates 1,102 stores in six states at the moment.

Wegman's operates approximately 84 stores in six states. Its footprint is large, but it does not appear to have enough stores.
Wegmans only tries to open about 3 stores a year, plus it's totally a family-owned company, not private/employee-owned like Publix.

Like I said, Wegmans is the IKEA of supermarkets!

FWIW Publix has a little over 4x the revenue as Wegmans, but 13x as many stores.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary