Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-09-2015, 06:32 AM

1,310 posts, read 2,939,819 times

Advertisements

Disappearing middle class must be in the news lately since I've seen several posts regarding this. One interesting discussion was on the perception of a disappearing middle class.
US middle class has disappeared into higher-income groups; recent stagnation explained by changing household demographics? » AEI | Carpe Diem Blog » AEIdeas
US middle class has disappeared into higher-income groups; recent stagnation explained by changing household demographics?

Old 02-09-2015, 06:44 AM

2,047 posts, read 2,517,423 times
That billboard sounds like a great idea. I would only add one thing to it. All non-natives good home.

If you were born outside of Wake Co.,time to hit the road Jack. Nothing personal

Old 02-09-2015, 07:32 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,253,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atowwn View Post
That billboard sounds like a great idea. I would only add one thing to it. All non-natives good home.

If you were born outside of Wake Co.,time to hit the road Jack. Nothing personal
I'm not moving back to Wilson. My mom and her whole family were born in Wake. So was my little brother. Our stay there was temporary. LOL.

Old 02-09-2015, 12:15 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,165,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
I'm not moving back to Wilson. My mom and her whole family were born in Wake. So was my little brother. Our stay there was temporary. LOL.
I'm not moving back to New Orleans or NYC.

Just want to keep this area from becoming a junk heap because of uncontrolled growth.

Old 02-09-2015, 07:03 PM

2,798 posts, read 2,990,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnfan View Post

Just want to keep this area from becoming a junk heap because of uncontrolled growth.
You're not a native; you leave first.

Old 02-09-2015, 09:04 PM

Quote:

Well. I like high-end retail, high-end homes, and attractive suburbs with matching mailboxes.

I'm also not opposed to more unconventional neighborhoods.

And I love trees.

I was born here. I've lived in Wake County since 1st grade in 1974.

Am I an overpaid yuppie because I live in Stepford Cary?

Be mindful of what you say. You're offending people. Natives and transplants alike.

I get it. You don't want the area to go downhill. Nobody does. Not really.

But, wishing away all growth isn't going to help. Stagnation is every bit as bad as unchecked growth.

And this isn't a blue collar area. It's an area with a wide variety of people. I like that.

So should you. I don't think you'd like the place you want this to be. If it was stuck in 1989, it would be on the decline.

Old 02-09-2015, 11:57 PM

610 posts, read 746,295 times
Quote:
I do reconsider. Both yuppies and illegal aliens should not be welcomed in our area.
I agree on illegal aliens (but welcome legal immigration and wouldn't mind more of that than we have with our cumbersome immigration system) and even though I deplore the spending habits of yuppies, they have every right to live where they want and spend their money any way they like.

There's room for everyone here - whether they're in your or my socioeconomic group or not. I've been everything from poor to upper middle (no rich, alas!) and people are people. As long as they're decent, kind people, it's all good.

Old 02-10-2015, 03:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBonzie View Post
I agree on illegal aliens (but welcome legal immigration and wouldn't mind more of that than we have with our cumbersome immigration system) and even though I deplore the spending habits of yuppies, they have every right to live where they want and spend their money any way they like.

There's room for everyone here - whether they're in your or my socioeconomic group or not. I've been everything from poor to upper middle (no rich, alas!) and people are people. As long as they're decent, kind people, it's all good.
Yes, the yuppies should be welcomed here but the companies employing them should not be bribed to come here unless it's a good thing such as bringing good jobs like an auto assembly plant to counties with high unemployment. Our area is NOT one of these especially when the fools in control will not accept the need for rail transit or assessing impact fees to keep infrastructure adequate.

There has always been a place for yuppies in areas such as Cary. What burns us middle class up is that prices and rents are rising because the overspending yuppies are luring not only high end retail but real estate developers that fill the area with garbage apartments at high rents. Other landlords smell the money and raise rents considerably on older properties.

We need more yuppies here as much as submarines need screen doors.

Old 02-10-2015, 05:48 AM

Quote:
Yes, the yuppies should be welcomed here but the companies employing them should not be bribed to come here unless it's a good thing such as bringing good jobs like an auto assembly plant to counties with high unemployment. Our area is NOT one of these especially when the fools in control will not accept the need for rail transit or assessing impact fees to keep infrastructure adequate.

There has always been a place for yuppies in areas such as Cary. What burns us middle class up is that prices and rents are rising because the overspending yuppies are luring not only high end retail but real estate developers that fill the area with garbage apartments at high rents. Other landlords smell the money and raise rents considerably on older properties.

We need more yuppies here as much as submarines need screen doors.
You do realize that most of North Raleigh's growth was due to the great IBM influx of the 70s and 80s, right?

Raleigh has never been just a middle class area. There have always been a variety of income levels. Your attitude about this is very self serving. Do you not see that?

I think your real issue is that you don't like rents going up because it may price you out of the area.

This is one of the reasons people buy houses. You have been here long enough to own a home outright and be paying VERY little for housing. You chose not to do this and now you're wishing for the area to stay within your budget and blaming people with good incomes because it isn't. You moved here in 1989 and it was a good opportunity for you at the time.

Others who move here are doing it for similar reasons. Why was it okay for you then but not for them now?

Old 02-10-2015, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
You do realize that most of North Raleigh's growth was due to the great IBM influx of the 70s and 80s, right?

Raleigh has never been just a middle class area. There have always been a variety of income levels. Your attitude about this is very self serving. Do you not see that?

I think your real issue is that you don't like rents going up because it may price you out of the area.

This is one of the reasons people buy houses. You have been here long enough to own a home outright and be paying VERY little for housing. You chose not to do this and now you're wishing for the area to stay within your budget and blaming people with good incomes because it isn't. You moved here in 1989 and it was a good opportunity for you at the time.

Others who move here are doing it for similar reasons. Why was it okay for you then but not for them now?
Some people prefer to rent and don't want to be priced out because others do not realize they are being overcharged. In this state, rent control can never happen to protect those who need or prefer to lease their living space.

Same with homes. Prices are going up too. North Hills used to be middle income. Now it's yuppie.

It's not just for me. It's our kids and grandkids that might not be able to stay in their home city because of the invasion of yuppies.

This is all wrong and is the result of bribing companies to come here without paying for the infrastructure their presence will require. We do not need to buy these companies' loyalty. If they don't come, it's their loss not ours. We are fine as we are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary