Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2014, 06:50 AM

12,475 posts, read 32,230,653 times

Advertisements

I've heard that all malls are having a bit of a slowdown due to the internet and people online shopping.

With limited time, I don't always have time to get to the mall. Many times I've gone online to find what I'm looking for. Sometimes I'll find it online and then go to see it in person, at the mall. I do think the internet has changed shopping.

Old 11-26-2014, 11:06 AM

113 posts, read 180,850 times
Very good points being made, which all boil down to location. Crabtree is the better mall and better located. Crabtree and North Hills are much more accessible because of the beltline, which is much more useful for travel within the city as opposed to traveling on 540 to get to Durham or the Airport. That said, if you're traveling from Wake Forest or even points further East, you might as well travel a little bit further to Crabtree or North Hills or Cameron Village if you know you're going to get what you want. That said, retail mix takes great skill, and Crabtree has gone to great lengths to expand and attract retailers.

Old 11-26-2014, 08:09 PM

1 posts, read 1,327 times
Crabtree and North Hills are surrounded by households with higher average income (esp those between I-440, Glenwood and NCSU area), but Triangle Town Center does not have this benefit.

Old 11-27-2014, 03:06 AM

9,680 posts, read 27,153,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cxbrame View Post
Very good points being made, which all boil down to location. Crabtree is the better mall and better located. Crabtree and North Hills are much more accessible because of the beltline, which is much more useful for travel within the city as opposed to traveling on 540 to get to Durham or the Airport. That said, if you're traveling from Wake Forest or even points further East, you might as well travel a little bit further to Crabtree or North Hills or Cameron Village if you know you're going to get what you want. That said, retail mix takes great skill, and Crabtree has gone to great lengths to expand and attract retailers.
Crabtree is a piece of crap and has always been thanks to uncaring management and customers willing to put up with lousy service.

Years ago, Crabtree hired traffic directors to ease access during holiday periods. No more.

If customers stopped going there and told store managers why, Crabtree would clean up their act or go away.

Customers have the power if they will only use it.

Old 11-27-2014, 07:12 AM

1,886 posts, read 4,813,458 times
I think we have one or two malls too many. TTC is one of those.
We will drive from SE Cary to Southpoint without a second thought. TTC doesn't offer anything we can't get somewhere else we would rather visit.

Old 11-27-2014, 07:37 AM

9,358 posts, read 14,082,704 times
It seems to me that the more successful malls today are those that incorporate, or are based on, a fresh air theme. No more do we enjoy huge indoor spaces with stagnant air and lighting, where sound echoes ominously around the halls. I find that disparate music tumbling out of each store and into a noisy central hall makes my head and brain hurt. I can't wait to get out of an old style mall and will only willingly go into stores that open off of the exterior.

People spend so much time indoors these days that they like walking outside when going from store to store. We like the feel of a small village where the outdoors is part of the theme. Benches, statues, plants. Having a 'mall' broken up into curvy streets you can drive down is also appealing. I think North Hills and Streets of Southpoint have the vibe I'm looking for.

Old 11-27-2014, 08:20 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,228,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyn7cyn View Post
Yep I realized this awhile back. Now when I read threads I have to keep that in mind. I grew up in Knightdale,lived off capital blvd and now Garner. If I rated my life according to this forum it would be a failure. Ive learned to adjust and realize most of the misinformation is just ignorance rather then bad intent.
We moved a lot when I was a kid. I've lived all over the Triangle. Including Knightdale and Mini City. Used to live not far from Garner, too. Mini City really has declined. It's not exactly dangerous, but there's no way I'd move there now.

Garner and Knightdale are good areas to find affordable homes in solid neighborhoods. Garner would get my vote for accessibility overall. Not too long ago, Holly Springs was similar, price-wise. It really has grown. Of course, I remember Apex AND Cary being small.

Things change. Including what many people consider to be an average home price. Average to me in Cary feels like about 300k. For a SFH. Maybe a bit less. Maybe a bit more.

In Garner, that average would skew slightly lower in price for a similar home.

Nothing wrong with that.

Old 11-27-2014, 08:22 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,228,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncgreatguy View Post
Crabtree and North Hills are surrounded by households with higher average income (esp those between I-440, Glenwood and NCSU area), but Triangle Town Center does not have this benefit.
It was planned thinking it WOULD have that benefit. Then, the economy took a dive.

Old 11-27-2014, 08:53 AM

13,966 posts, read 24,143,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncgreatguy View Post
While TTC has some immediate areas surrounding it that are clearly more solidly middle class, there is a vast amount of high income neighborhoods to the near west for which TTC is the most accessible mall. This would include North Ridge and everything north of 540 between Six Forks and US1.

Old 11-27-2014, 10:28 AM

9,680 posts, read 27,153,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
While TTC has some immediate areas surrounding it that are clearly more solidly middle class, there is a vast amount of high income neighborhoods to the near west for which TTC is the most accessible mall. This would include North Ridge and everything north of 540 between Six Forks and US1.
Somebody must have shekels to keep Saks Fifth Avenue in the mall.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary