Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2014, 06:20 PM

1,020 posts, read 1,613,528 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
I'm kind of partial to the one that The Peanuts served: Popcorn, Toast, Jelly Beans and Pretzel Sticks!
My son would love that!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2014, 06:31 PM

1,478 posts, read 1,227,628 times
For Thanksgiving Im pretty traditional but for Christmas I make shredded pot roast over risotto cakes w/gravy. I think that is my BF's favorite meal of the year!

Old 11-24-2014, 06:52 PM

1,277 posts, read 3,546,291 times
We've turned it into "favorite foods" day. Everyone gets to pick 1 or 2 foods that they want to eat that day. We started this the Thanksgiving after my Mom died - she was the traditionalist, and the rest of us decided we just didn't really like Turkey so took a break for a year. And it has never been named as anyone's favorite since! Turkey gravy is on the list, but Trader Joe's has a nice turkey gravy that we reheat and pour over those mashed potatoes.

My sister and boyfriend used to eat chinese every year on Thanksgiving - that and see a movie. Most holidays, they ate chinese.

Old 11-24-2014, 07:33 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,224,628 times
I order a turkey breast from Fresh Market along with some ham, make a few desserts and sides, and call it done.

Christmas is wide open. I do whatever we decide we want.

Old 11-24-2014, 09:59 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,316,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeLuvNC View Post
We've turned it into "favorite foods" day. Everyone gets to pick 1 or 2 foods that they want to eat that day.
That's kinda what we do if we're staying home. My kids do enjoy some of the traditions such as PIE, but only chocolate chess pie, not pumpkin. I love cranberries. The spouse and I both like stuffing (the kids not so much). I had one kid request the brussels sprouts on the stalks. But what they really love is Martha Stewart's Macaroni and Chee$e. I only make it for holidays because it takes a long time and costs a lot. I think they could skip the meat entirely if they can have that.

Old 11-24-2014, 10:07 PM

789 posts, read 1,991,043 times
We usually go to a Chinese or Asian restaurant. Same for Christmas. Gives us all day to hang out and play games and enjoy each other's company without anyone having to spend hours in the kitchen. Works well for our family.

Old 11-25-2014, 07:37 AM

2,424 posts, read 3,533,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dp38393 View Post
I am curious. Does anyone else cook something for Thanksgiving other than the standard turkey, stuffing, and cranberry sauce? Do you have a annual trip to a Triangle restaurant? Anything special that I am missing or haven't thought of?

I am certain that I am in the minority here, but the thought of the big bird dinner just makes me tired and stuffed. Everything has the same basic color (shades of brown), taste (salty), and texture (dry).

Before everyone starts out saying “you haven’t had my moist brined turkey” or “you are surrounded by bad cooks” – please note that I have had it all, and I am simply no longer interested.

For me, the thought of a thanksgiving meal represented as a huge bowl of tonkotsu ramen with broth that has been simmering all day is exciting and a touch exotic.

So, CD folks – what say you for non-traditional Thanksgiving traditions?
We are vegan, so whatever we cook for any festive meal is non traditional.

Old 11-25-2014, 08:59 AM

204 posts, read 383,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlhm5 View Post
We are vegan, so whatever we cook for any festive meal is non traditional.
Even the traditional tofurky? Which, I have to say I mildly enjoyed the one time I had it!

Old 12-03-2014, 07:32 PM

1,020 posts, read 1,613,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
Darn. I was looking forward to what you thought of the duck and the rest of your meal at Tasu.
Today we went to Tasu for lunch. Hubby wanted sushi. I ordered the duck appetizer. It was ok but not as good as the crispy duck pancakes we had in UK. Being in one large wrap was a bit odd for me and it had loads of fatty bits. I loved the rest of my meal though and hubby was happy with his sushi.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
View detailed profiles of: