Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2014, 06:34 AM

52 posts, read 59,843 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by moving_pains View Post

Questions -

Is there a separate lottery for every charter school? Do I have to participate in each of them individually? If so, do they all have different dates and procedures?
There is a separate lottery for every charter school. You would have to participate in the individually, even if they are run by the same parent-company.

Most charter schools only offer basic school info prior to lottery application. If accepted, they offer in-house tours during instruction. You then have so many days to accept or decline the seat.

I have a rising kindergartener and a kiddo that will be in the second grade. We will be applying for two charter schools and one magnet. I didn't want to freak myself out with too many choices. I've just narrowed it down to what i feel was the best for my kiddos. Be sure the magnets you choose are what you really want...if you do happen to get in, you will no longer have a seat at your base school. And. According to the data manager at our current school, it is not so easy to get back in if you decide the magnet isn't what you want due to overcrowding.

I am doubtful we get in a magnet...they way they pull for the lottery is just crazy. The chances are so slim if you are not in a high performing node. :/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2014, 07:46 AM

10,728 posts, read 22,824,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moving_pains View Post
Thank you for explaining those. So come this summer, but before she goes to the Kindergarten, my daughter will be a "rising" kindergartener?
Yes. I'm actually surprised that you had never heard this term, as it is not, that I'm aware, unique to NC (nor to Kindergarteners). My whole life, I've heard high schoolers talk about being a "rising Senior", the summer before their Sr year, or whatever. Summertime (on a traditional calendar) is limbo, so you can't really say you are "in" one grade or the other; most like to "round up" and say "rising ____".

I agree that with K, where you haven't started yet, it may sound a little more odd, instead of just "she's will be starting Kindergarten", but "rising [grade]" is quite common, not a local thing.

Old 12-03-2014, 08:07 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,336,102 times
The NC Report Card site linked up thread or the NC Dept of Public Instruction has info on charter schools. I don't like the third party sites as much, but some folks use Great Schools and School Digger. I'm not familiar with the one you linked.

Carolina Parent also has a lot of education resources.

And yes, as others mentioned, each charter school has a separate lottery. The magnet schools are part of the Wake County Public School System. You can think of each charter as it's own self-contained school system. They are part of the state of North Carolina's public schools and are subject to many of the same tests, rules & regulations, as other school systems in the state, but a charter school in Wake County has little to do with Wake County public schools other than being located there. Charter schools have their own school boards (not the Wake County School Board) and set their own directions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary