U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2009, 03:49 PM

9,064 posts, read 18,327,477 times
I enjoy checking out the art for sale by the many artists at Artspace in downtown Raleigh. I bet there are some great artist studios and galleries in Durham as well.

When I have no money but want to get my art fix I watch reruns of Bob Ross on UNCTV. (May he rest in peace).

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2009, 04:23 PM

185 posts, read 368,729 times
Indeed the pompousness within the art community is also leading to its downfall. The pompousness you display is what drives the price of pieces to unattainable prices for most folks. Its great that you believe you are the worlds knowledge on art collecting. One mans trash is another mans treasure I suppose. And the point of art IS for it to look good. Going by your guidelines, as long as hard work was put into it any price can be charged, in-spite of quality...........hold on, isn't that part of the auto industries problem.

Old 01-25-2009, 04:59 PM

38 posts, read 76,810 times
Arts market is generally divided into two layers: collectibles and commercial. So don't be confused when we talk about "Starving artists sale"--they are commercial or decorative arts products; they have little or no values for collection, but they can serve the purpose of making your rooms or hallways look nice.

I have been to the Starving Artists Sale once at the Holiday Inn at Crabtree Valley and know what they deal with. They are traveling sales shows that are staged with regularity at different cities. Their products are mostly from China where low-ranking artists and skilled technicians mass produce works in a factory-production fashion. They produce the lowest-cost oil paintings in the world and have gradually taken over the Europeans as the main supplier for the US commercial oil paintings market. The US import market for oil paintings is about 4 billion annually, China's directly export to the U.S. for about 200 million a year. However, much of the oil paintings that the U.S. consumers bought nowadays as European or Mideast arts are actually originated from China.

Much of those commercial arts are replicas of classic pieces--well or less well known. If you just want something look nice on your walls, those can be incredible bargains; they are much better than reprints in my opinion for decorative purpose. They use real oil pigments and canvas and all the necessary techniques --minus of course the artistic creativity of the originals on the artists' part (if that matters to you as someone simply want to decorate). My suggestion to all is that when you approach those kinds of products, be realistic--know what you want to spend and what you want them for. It's not helpful to be snobbish while seeking a bargain.

There are two or three large clusters of oil painting workshops in southern China. I visited one of them, where I bought a bunch of stuff and shipped them back to Cary (no custom tax for personal use). They have shipping companies on site and made the whole transition a breeze. I am an average consumer and not particularly sophisticated in arts. But I did have some very good deal. For instance, I bought a painting in a gallery selling works by a university art professor, Mr. Lin, who developed techniques using both knifes and brushes in oil painting, resulting in a unique style. I bought my 36"x48" piece, with a very nice and substantial wood frame, for the equivalent of what a framed reprint would cost in North Carolina. You can see some of his work at the site: http://www.dhds.cn/

Old 01-25-2009, 06:07 PM
Status: " Love is Freedom, Love is Equal, Love Conquers Hate" (set 6 days ago)

21,912 posts, read 38,797,534 times
keep it local and or continue your discussion on art in Hobbies and Recreation

thanks

Old 02-28-2009, 12:39 PM

2 posts, read 8,059 times
Default Art sale this sunday

The "Starving Artist" art event/sale is going to be this Sunday - March 1st - at the Marriott Hotel across from Crabtree Valley Mall (I had to call the hotel to be sure). It starts at 9am and goes until 6pm. From what I'm hearing it would be best to start early as the art sells on a first-come basis. I have never been before so even though people are saying it's not worth it, I'm going to go... personally I'm more into the eye-of-the-beholder theory when it comes to art, not that other opinions aren't welcome of course! Best of luck and I hope you find some nice pieces!

Old 03-16-2009, 10:59 PM

6,061 posts, read 9,016,032 times
There have been "starving artist" sales in hotels for at least 35 years. They've always been mass produced and done overseas. I bought two about 35 years ago after looking hard for ones that didn't look mass produced in the group offered. They filled spots in my first apartment, and I knew they were mass produced, and they were dirt cheap, so they were worth it.

Today, there are so many other options, including eBay, local artists and even Craigslist. I wouldn't waste any money on the "starving artists."

In the former suburb I lived in, they used to have art exhibits at the town hall by local artists. I bought a simple painting of a barn against a spring sky that I treasure now, and it reminds me of an era that is now gone.

Somebody locally should have a big art exhibit and let any artist set up outside for free and sell their work at reasonable prices. And have prize ribbons, too. Would be good for the artists and the buyers.

Whoops. Didn't see Sunny's warning. Sorry.

Old 03-17-2009, 06:51 AM

8,379 posts, read 12,023,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovebrentwood View Post
Somebody locally should have a big art exhibit and let any artist set up outside for free and sell their work at reasonable prices. And have prize ribbons, too. Would be good for the artists and the buyers.
Several of the counties around the Raleigh area have an annual "art crawl" - usually in the fall - in which artists open their studios, and you can follow the maps and signs around the county to check out the various artists and their work.

See, for example, the Chatham County Studio Tour (scheduled for December):
Map of the Chatham Studio Tour (http://www.chathamstudiotour.com/map/map.html - broken link)

For information on many different art crawls, see the NC Arts Council web site:
N.C. Arts Council - Open Studio Tours

Old 03-17-2009, 11:24 AM

6,061 posts, read 9,016,032 times
There's something intimidating sometimes about going into tiny art galleries -- at night -- and feeling as if the artist is over your shoulder watching your reaction -- even if they aren't.

I'd rather see a BIG outdoor show where all the little art galleries come together. Back in Rochester, there was a "Clothesline Art Festival," and it was held on the grounds of the art museum. It continues to be an annual celebration of art, and it was a big deal. That would be cool to have something similar here at the NC art museum. I'm sure it would substantially increase the sales of small galleries.

Can someone get on that right away? You know we Yankees want all the things we left behind, and we want 'em now!

Old 03-17-2009, 02:20 PM

836 posts, read 2,258,430 times
Not to mention Artsplosure, which is coming up. And First Friday, where all the galleries are open and packed and no one can tell what you are looking at or thinking anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary