Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2008, 09:19 AM

51 posts, read 213,124 times

Advertisements

Ok, before I get flamed here, yes, I've been to all the job search sites and I've done some reserch but I'm just looking for some honest feedback for those in the know or from those who have made the move to RTP without a job.

We've been to Raleigh a few times and love the feel/beauty of the area in addition to friendly people. To all of you who currently live there, congratulations, as it seems to be a wonderful place to call home!

My background is in financial services (11 years) as I've worked both in the midwest and out on the west coast. I am currently working on my business school pre-requisties for graduate school part time, however, I would be looking a good full time financial position in the RTP area while continuing my school on the side. We would move make the move to the area first to better our chances but I would really to love to hear from some others who have been looking for work in the area recently or who have made the move without a job. What was your experience like?

Is it possible that there are too many people moving to the RTP area and that good jobs are hard to find?

Any insight is appreciated. Thanks in advance and a happy new year all of you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2008, 09:29 AM

9,848 posts, read 30,273,258 times
Thumbs up My experience

Quote:
Originally Posted by wagonwheel View Post
Ok, before I get flamed here, yes, I've been to all the job search sites and I've done some reserch but I'm just looking for some honest feedback for those in the know or from those who have made the move to RTP without a job.

We've been to Raleigh a few times and love the feel/beauty of the area in addition to friendly people. To all of you who currently live there, congratulations, as it seems to be a wonderful place to call home!

My background is in financial services (11 years) as I've worked both in the midwest and out on the west coast. I am currently working on my business school pre-requisties for graduate school part time, however, I would be looking a good full time financial position in the RTP area while continuing my school on the side. We would move make the move to the area first to better our chances but I would really to love to hear from some others who have been looking for work in the area recently or who have made the move without a job. What was your experience like?

Is it possible that there are too many people moving to the RTP area and that good jobs are hard to find?

I moved here without a job but had already had several interviews and some very strong leads. That being said, I am in a very different field than you (sciences).

I think people have had varying degrees of success moving here without a job depending on their specific field of expertise. And of course your expericne and education background will play a role in your level of success just as much here as anywhere else you look for employment.

There are good jobs here, but in some fields the competition can be tight. That being said I don't know what the demand is for people in your field of work.

To be safe, I would not move here without a job unless you had at least a 6 month financial safety net.

Good Luck!

Old 01-04-2008, 09:34 AM

39 posts, read 106,201 times
Default Se habla Espanol??

In many of the service industries, including financial, you'll increase your value as a prospect a great deal if you speak Spanish. Probably could say the same for any city, really.

Old 01-04-2008, 09:41 AM

997 posts, read 4,643,523 times
Have you tried looking into Charlotte? It seems with your backround there might be more jobs available there to you. RTP is more specialized I feel with tech and bio-tech fields.

I am not trying to keep you away from the area, it is beautiful and I love living here. I invite everyone to come and see the area. Though not for all, we do have a lot to offer.

As NRG said, I would not suggest moving without a job unless you have some money saved in advance.

Good luck.

Old 01-04-2008, 10:05 AM

5,524 posts, read 9,935,880 times
I agree with jln.....BUT while Charlotte is considered the financial capital of the asouth in this area we still have some financial juggernauts. Credit Suisse, First Citizens Bancshares, BB&T (Greensboro), Fidelity has moved here and there are plenty of positions in finance with other large companies....it depends on what you have been doing though. I suggest contacting some staffing agencies that specialize in finance, Ajilon, Robert Half etc...and see what they have available. If you are in investing this may not be as fruitful as Charlotte but if you can do financial management, business manager, controller, CFO etc then you have more options.

Old 01-04-2008, 10:05 AM
UES

19 posts, read 63,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jln69 View Post
Have you tried looking into Charlotte? It seems with your backround there might be more jobs available there to you. RTP is more specialized I feel with tech and bio-tech fields.
True, Aside from retail bank branches there is not much in the way of financial services in the RTP area. Charlotte OTOH is probabaly the biggest financial center in the South. It has to major national banks headquartered there.

Old 01-04-2008, 10:39 AM

2,835 posts, read 7,339,535 times
The want adds are filled with job opportunities here in the Raleigh area. It is always helpful to have a job here before you move and that holds true for anywhere you would pick to move to. Between on line sites and job bulletin boards, newspapers and word of mouth one can usually find a job they are looking for if they have the qualifications.
Sometimes people come looking for a great opportunity for better pay without advancing their skills or qualifications. Unfortunately many of them get discouraged and put the area down.

Good luck with your job search and I personally feel this area is as good as any when looking for employment provided your have the skills and qualifications the area employers are looking for.

Old 01-04-2008, 10:47 AM

60 posts, read 185,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wagonwheel View Post

Plenty of jobs and opportunities for finical services department. You may want to look into RBC Bank and First Citizens Bank. Both have HQ here. BB&T also has a lot of their jobs located here. Here is a link for the insurance company in Raleigh, NC too as I’m not sure what your field is.
Insurance Companies in Raleigh, North Carolina (NC)

Good luck!

Old 01-04-2008, 11:20 AM

5,524 posts, read 9,935,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UES View Post
True, Aside from retail bank branches there is not much in the way of financial services in the RTP area. Charlotte OTOH is probabaly the biggest financial center in the South. It has to major national banks headquartered there.
Not true. There are plenty of companies in the area under Mergers and acquisitions, securities brokers, venture capital and private equity firms and then of course the banks. It all depends on what type of financial background you have.

Old 01-04-2008, 11:38 AM

60 posts, read 185,298 times
[quote=wagonwheel;2413751] Is it possible that there are too many people moving to the RTP area and that good jobs are hard to find? QUOTE]

And in case I didn't answer this question, no. More and more jobs are being added each year. Unemployment rate here is lower than the national average.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary