Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2014, 06:49 AM
rfb

2,593 posts, read 6,335,345 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
Well that's sort of the point of a protest - to draw people's attention and increase awareness of an issue.
Preferably without endangering the protester's lives or anyone else's.

Old 12-11-2014, 06:58 AM

12,475 posts, read 32,173,561 times
These large protests put lives in danger. The police are trying to maintain these people. They can't win. All it takes is one crazy to start a fight and the police have to stop them. Someone WILL get hurt and it will be blamed on the police.

It is like I used to tell my teenagers. "If you put yourself in a place where you are at risk of getting hurt and you get hurt, it is your own fault".

Old 12-11-2014, 07:43 AM

881 posts, read 2,248,105 times
Vey disappointed they continue to block the streets, it's dangerous for them as well as others. They've already had to reroute one ambulance.

This may not be a popular opinion but most of these protestors (at least the ones arrested) are very young and haven't truly thought about some of the long terms consequences for Durham by continuing these "protests". It's not just about preventing a 3 yr old from seeing Santa. If families don't feel safe, and I sure as heck don't blame them, they will avoid these places. Wonder how many of these protests know why Northgate mall experienced a decline?

Old 12-11-2014, 07:57 AM

8,704 posts, read 10,856,616 times
Are they arresting EVERYONE who blocks a street? I would think under "normal" circumstances, they would arrest people if they were blocking streets. If these protestors are allowed to block streets, does this set a precedent going forward? Will this now be allowed fo all?

Old 12-11-2014, 08:07 AM

288 posts, read 360,394 times
LOL @ people who go to the mall. There's a reason that they stopped building them in the US. I guess that a lot of people are slow to join the 21st century.

Old 12-11-2014, 08:14 AM

536 posts, read 636,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris75 View Post
LOL @ people who go to the mall. There's a reason that they stopped building them in the US. I guess that a lot of people are slow to join the 21st century.
Haha good point. Downtown + Internet (and to a lesser extent, "quasi-urban" shopping centers like Cameron Village and North Hills) are where it's at now.

Old 12-11-2014, 12:26 PM

59 posts, read 131,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Pinellas_Guy View Post
Are they arresting EVERYONE who blocks a street? I would think under "normal" circumstances, they would arrest people if they were blocking streets. If these protestors are allowed to block streets, does this set a precedent going forward? Will this now be allowed fo all?
I am also curious as to the legality of these folks blocking the road. Does anyone know what the law is here and what recourse you have in such a situation?

I fully understand protesters being able to protest from the sidelines, but to block roads like this seems illegal, and dangerous as others have mentioned. Thus my inquiry in to our state laws.

Old 12-11-2014, 12:38 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,173,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris75 View Post
Shhhh, you don't want the millions that shop at Crabtree to know this!!!

Old 12-11-2014, 12:44 PM

8,704 posts, read 10,856,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by akleeuw View Post
I am also curious as to the legality of these folks blocking the road. Does anyone know what the law is here and what recourse you have in such a situation?

I fully understand protesters being able to protest from the sidelines, but to block roads like this seems illegal, and dangerous as others have mentioned. Thus my inquiry in to our state laws.
Especially at night. That seems particularly dangerous. I wonder what the officials are going to say if this eventually harms someone?

Old 12-11-2014, 12:56 PM

11,202 posts, read 8,249,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Pinellas_Guy View Post
Blocking roads is a dangerous thing. This type of thing has caused issues with people getting to the hospital. Who knows what other issues it is creating for people stuck in traffic. It is not just a minor inconvenience for everyone. Some people may have very important reasons to get to where they need to go.
Gotta hope they have more success than Michael Brown when it comes to arriving home safely....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary