Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2014, 11:21 AM

1,734 posts, read 2,560,999 times

Advertisements

Over the past eight years I have bought and sold probably 100 items on CL with only two that didn't pan out.

1. I had a car for sale on CL. A guy came by and said he would take it. He said he would go to the bank and be back in fifteen minutes .... and that's the last I saw of him. Why not just tell me he didn't want it?
2. A guy came buy to buy a range. He supposedly slipped on my deck and said he was going to sue me. After I ignored about six lawyer letters he gave up.

Oh, and expect more than half of the people to respond with the single email: "Is it still for sale" ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2014, 11:40 AM

2,924 posts, read 3,327,690 times
I have done all my furniture shopping on Craigslist. Overall, it has been great and the majority of the people I have met have been great. A couple of odd ones with bad furniture.

On the flip side I have tried selling on Craigslist here and when I lived in another state. There is more spam now and more scammers then a few years ago. For the most part I find selling on there frustrating, but that is just me.

Old 12-12-2014, 11:52 AM

8,583 posts, read 15,972,781 times
I have bought and sold cars, boats,trailers, downsized, sold tools,
rehomed rescued dogs, bought & sold pet supplies,
bought kayaks & other sports things,
sold baby rabbits, gave things away,
sold land, found painters & movers,
reunited lost dogs with owners..

and much more...

You have to be careful & smart...
Exchange a few emails to see if they can respond normally via email..
Screen, screen, screen..
Keep it anonymous with no address shared until they are
ready to come see item..
Be sure your email that you correspond on doesn't have your name on it.
It's no different than the old newspaper ads, in fact safer because they do not have your phone number unless you give it to them...

If uneasy at all meet in a public place or better yet don't meet at all..

I have never had a problem...

Old 12-12-2014, 11:57 AM

8,583 posts, read 15,972,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by attrapereves View Post
I've had good and bad experiences with CL. Most of the time, people email asking questions and never respond. Good experiences are emails like: "I want the item, what's your address? I'll be over in an hour". They come with cash and leave.
I actually would not respond to that email...
I expect them to ask about convenient times, not just say they are coming...
That email would be a "delete" for me ....

Old 12-12-2014, 01:42 PM

7,104 posts, read 11,563,532 times
I've only used it to advertise a curb alert for free 30-year-old drop in stove on my curb. It was amazing how many weird replies I got to that - people desperate to get it IMMEDIATELY. The item was free so I never opened my front door.

Am a little afraid to use it for actual sales - and I have some things I'd like to sell. It just seems to be inviting trouble.

For my curb alert - I didn't put the address right away. Finally gave the address to someone who seemed like they'd really show for it. I did give the town and general area to help people decide whether it was worth driving over.

Old 12-13-2014, 10:51 AM

789 posts, read 1,987,741 times
I recently hired a mover off of the services section to move a large piece of exercise equipment that I also bought off of CL. I Googled the phone numbers of each mover listed and many of them had websites and/or I was able to find reviews. I recommend doing the same. I went with the ones with the best reviews and was very happy with their service. They had to move the piece up 2 flights of stairs and were very careful not to damage my home or the equipment.

Make sure to Google their phone number, email address, and name. People that have received poor service or had a bad experience are much more likely to post online, so you should be able to find them. If that information isn't available, ask them for it. That's what I did. The people that are on the up and up will be happy to give you their information, and may even offer references.

I'm sure that you can find good service providers on CL. But it is up to you to spend the time doing diligence to try and weed out the bad ones.

Old 12-13-2014, 02:55 PM

36,499 posts, read 53,894,679 times
I found the best garden helper on CL. She was a hard worker and lasted for 3 years and then just disappeared. I miss her.

Old 12-14-2014, 04:19 PM

2,492 posts, read 3,020,495 times
Buying and selling has been positive. Advertising my home cleaning business was a disaster. I got so much spam and obvious scam replies . If I was bored I would reply with just as ridiculous answers just to see how far they would go with it. Took months before they stopped. Use an email address that isnt your main one.

Old 12-14-2014, 04:22 PM

4,477 posts, read 11,594,892 times
I found my significant other via Craigslist.. I give it two thumbs up!

Old 12-14-2014, 04:47 PM

307 posts, read 671,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyn7cyn View Post
Buying and selling has been positive. Advertising my home cleaning business was a disaster. I got so much spam and obvious scam replies . If I was bored I would reply with just as ridiculous answers just to see how far they would go with it. Took months before they stopped. Use an email address that isnt your main one.
How have you built your business since craigslist didn't work for you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary