Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2014, 06:05 AM

307 posts, read 672,874 times

Advertisements

Does anyone have any experience with postings for services (using or providing) on Craigslist? There are so many postings on the Raleigh group that I wonder how they could possibly be effective. Would you trust a listing there? Are they safe?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2014, 06:10 AM

444 posts, read 582,132 times
Before I moved to the south I always leveraged Craigslist to buy and sell. When I moved to Charlotte I used Craigslist a few times, but have decided the "type" of people responding to the ads down here are folks I do not wish to associate with.

Old 12-12-2014, 06:15 AM

43,282 posts, read 77,104,102 times
It's a coin flip.
I have had mixed success with CL services. Actually, it is where I have found web designers, again, with mixed success.
If someone cannot post a coherent ad, I skip them.

But, really, I have met a lot of great people off CL, usually buying and selling our Junque.

Old 12-12-2014, 06:16 AM

307 posts, read 672,874 times
I've had pretty good experiences buying and selling products, but I'm specifically interested in service providers. And yes, I'd think the character of Craigslist changes based on location, which is why I asked the question in this NC group.

Old 12-12-2014, 06:21 AM

43,282 posts, read 77,104,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcp6453 View Post
I've had pretty good experiences buying and selling products, but I'm specifically interested in service providers. And yes, I'd think the character of Craigslist changes based on location, which is why I asked the question in this NC group.
CL is only an advertising medium, with no quality filters.
So, you can meet people there but you are still responsible for your own diligence and judgment as to their suitability and integrity.

Old 12-12-2014, 07:52 AM

13,714 posts, read 12,431,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcp6453 View Post
When I moved across town recently, I used a moving service off craigslist and a maid service. Both were fine. For the move, I wanted cheap, and they showed up more or less on time, called to say they would be 45 minutes late, didn't break anything, and got everything loaded into the truck and into my new place with no breakage of anything.

The maid service for my move out cleaning went off without a hitch as well.

Old 12-12-2014, 07:56 AM

2,863 posts, read 4,677,588 times
I've had an overall positive experience selling on Craigslist. A few flakes for the inexpensive stuff but I moved a used car quickly and without a hitch. I have had great experiences getting rid of free stuff (metal for scrap, broken things, etc) by simply posting what I had and stating it was at the curb for first come-first serve pickup.

Old 12-12-2014, 08:07 AM

1,701 posts, read 2,589,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C_Lan View Post
I've had an overall positive experience selling on Craigslist.
Me too.
Quote:
... I moved a used car quickly and without a hitch.
I bought my used car from a Craig's List ad. Low mileage, well-kept, one owner... a good deal.
Quote:
I have had great experiences getting rid of free stuff (metal for scrap, broken things, etc) by simply posting what I had and stating it was at the curb for first come-first serve pickup.
Please refrain from posting Curb Alert ads. Six people race to claim your offered item... resulting in one happy person and five others who wasted time and fuel. (Been there, done that, paid those dues.)

Old 12-12-2014, 08:24 AM

2,863 posts, read 4,677,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielbmartin View Post
Me too. I bought my used car from a Craig's List ad. Low mileage, well-kept, one owner... a good deal.Please refrain from posting Curb Alert ads. Six people race to claim your offered item... resulting in one happy person and five others who wasted time and fuel. (Been there, done that, paid those dues.)

It's a good way to get rid of something someone can use that would otherwise be thrown out. To me that outweighs the gas issue. We cancel the posting as soon as stuff is gone.

Old 12-12-2014, 08:31 AM

978 posts, read 2,053,979 times
I've had good and bad experiences with CL. Most of the time, people email asking questions and never respond. Good experiences are emails like: "I want the item, what's your address? I'll be over in an hour". They come with cash and leave.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary