Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-15-2014, 03:24 PM

113 posts, read 186,270 times

Advertisements

My brother and wife don't need any "stuff" so I was thinking tickets to a concert or show venue in the Triangle might be a good gift. I tried looking up some specific artists to see where they are playing, but didn't come up with anything other than the Duke Center for the Performing Arts.

If you are familiar with the DC area, I'm thinking also of places like the Birchmere or Ram's Head as possibilities for looking for tickets.

Any ideas of places to look would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2014, 03:50 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,328,304 times
Probably the best thing to do would be to check the Indy Week for show listings they might like. They should have pretty much everything listed there. Here are some venues to consider:

DPAC (Durham Performing Arts Center), which is very nice: Official Website Durham Performing Arts Center :: Home

Carolina Performing Arts (UNC's Memorial Hall Chapel Hill): https://www.carolinaperformingarts.org

Duke Energy Center (Raleigh): Remarkable Performances. Remarkable Venues. - Duke Energy Center for the Performing Arts

PNC Arena (Raleigh, sports, but also some concerts): PNC Arena :: Events

The ArtsCenter (Carrboro): Events | The ArtsCenter

The Haw River Ballroom (west of the Triangle in tiny Saxapahaw, but an amazing venue worth the drive): Haw River Ballroom

Carolina Theater (historic theater, beautiful space, Durham): Carolina Theatre | Downtown Durham, North Carolina

some clubs (more along the line of the 930 club):
Cats Cradle (Carrboro): Cat's Cradle
Southland Ballroom (Raleigh): Home | Southland Ballroom
MotorCo (Durham): Home | Southland Ballroom
Pinhook (Durham): The Pinhook
Lincoln Theatre (Raleigh): Lincoln Theatre - Raleigh, NC
Kings Barcade (Raleigh): Kings
The Pourhouse (Raleigh): http://www.thepourhousemusichall.com

And a bunch more.

A show at the DPAC would be very nice if they have an artist your brother & sis-in-law would like. It's a very nice venue. The Haw River Ballroom is a bit of a far piece from Raleigh (45 min?), but it's a gorgeous old restored and converted mill and they book some really excellent current artists (not so much the oldies revues some of the other bigger fancier places get). The Eddy Pub is right next door and they do great food. There's also the Haw River Farmhouse Ales that just opened. I haven't tried any of their beer yet, but I can vouch for the Eddy's good food and the Ballroom's great shows.

Last edited by poppydog; 12-15-2014 at 04:01 PM..

Old 12-15-2014, 03:58 PM

113 posts, read 186,270 times
Thanks, I will look at those sources.

Old 12-16-2014, 08:27 AM

Just saw I gave a bad link for MotorCo. It's Motorco | with Parts&Labor .

Old 12-16-2014, 08:45 AM

11,221 posts, read 8,296,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
The Haw River Ballroom (west of the Triangle in tiny Saxapahaw, but an amazing venue worth the drive): Haw River Ballroom

Reps specifically for this comment. I agree (amazing).

Old 12-16-2014, 09:24 AM

It is a really nice space. Heather and Tom have just done amazing things with it and consistently have wonderful acts booked there. I haven't seen listings for 2015 yet, but if you like their facebook page they will post them.

Old 12-18-2014, 01:58 PM

656 posts, read 1,207,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
Probably the best thing to do would be to check the Indy Week for show listings they might like. They should have pretty much everything listed there. Here are some venues to consider:

DPAC (Durham Performing Arts Center), which is very nice: Official Website Durham Performing Arts Center :: Home

Carolina Performing Arts (UNC's Memorial Hall Chapel Hill): https://www.carolinaperformingarts.org

Duke Energy Center (Raleigh): Remarkable Performances. Remarkable Venues. - Duke Energy Center for the Performing Arts

PNC Arena (Raleigh, sports, but also some concerts): PNC Arena :: Events

The ArtsCenter (Carrboro): Events | The ArtsCenter

Carolina Theater (historic theater, beautiful space, Durham): Carolina Theatre | Downtown Durham, North Carolina

some clubs (more along the line of the 930 club):
Cats Cradle (Carrboro): Cat's Cradle
Southland Ballroom (Raleigh): Home | Southland Ballroom
MotorCo (Durham): Home | Southland Ballroom
Pinhook (Durham): The Pinhook
Lincoln Theatre (Raleigh): Lincoln Theatre - Raleigh, NC
Kings Barcade (Raleigh): Kings
The Pourhouse (Raleigh): The Pour House Music Hall

And a bunch more.

A show at the DPAC would be very nice if they have an artist your brother & sis-in-law would like. It's a very nice venue. The Haw River Ballroom is a bit of a far piece from Raleigh (45 min?), but it's a gorgeous old restored and converted mill and they book some really excellent current artists (not so much the oldies revues some of the other bigger fancier places get). The Eddy Pub is right next door and they do great food. There's also the Haw River Farmhouse Ales that just opened. I haven't tried any of their beer yet, but I can vouch for the Eddy's good food and the Ballroom's great shows.
Nice consolidated list...does PlayMakers fit here ?

Old 12-18-2014, 04:22 PM

Well, not for a concert, which is what I was going off, but certainly for a play. Very nice place to see that kind of show.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary