Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2014, 02:00 PM

9,196 posts, read 24,940,073 times

Advertisements

Certainly there's lots of "rural" that will remain west of Pittsboro even with the development of Chatham Park.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2014, 06:46 PM

1,545 posts, read 1,874,561 times
In regards to chatham park, I don't think you will actually have to worry about that, any time soon it is estimated to take at least 30 years for it to fill out, and estimates are often varied to change., I also would like to know, why those two places in particular?

Old 12-18-2014, 07:02 PM
rfb

2,594 posts, read 6,356,657 times
I agree that between Chapel Hill and Pittsboro, Pittsboro is the more rural. If your only criteria is a rural area near the Triangle area there are a lot of additional options to choose from if you are open to them.

Old 12-20-2014, 10:29 AM

6,379 posts, read 5,495,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
Definitely Pittsboro is more "Country" than Chapel Hill, not even a question. Have you ever been to either (I'm guessing not). Will your job be in Chapel Hill? Lots of folks commute from PBO to CH.

There are other places in the area such a Bynum, Mebane etc that are also "country"--best thing to do is come look around for yourself and see what you like best. The Internet can only tell you so much.

Rereading your post, I'm wondering how much you even know about NC at all to have chosen these two places? Is this another "We threw a dart at the map and it landed on NC, so now please tell us where to live?" situation?
I was thinking the same thing.

Chapel Hill is a urbane/quasi-suburban college town and part of the continuous build up of the Raleigh-Durham-Chapel Hill core of the Triangle ; Pittsboro is a (currently) small and relatively isolated town in the middle of a (geographically) large rural county.

Old 12-25-2014, 02:38 PM

89 posts, read 123,846 times
Taxes are higher in Orange County, probably because of the better schools. We recently moved to Pittsboro (Fearrington Village) from NY after looking at developments around the Triangle area. Didn't want a gated community, or an over 55 retirement area, and we found Fearrington to be quaint, with a real country farm feel, and a range of housing prices. We like living only 8 miles from Chapel Hill, and still being able to look out our windows and seeing lots of mature trees and the occasional family of deer walk by
We've met several people who lived in Chapel Hill and relocated to Pittsboro for a number of reasons, most stating downsizing or lower taxes. However, we seriously considered Chapel Hill because of all it has to offer in terms of activities, etc. Either would be a great choice, depending on exactly what you're looking for. Resale is not a concern for us, as we feel the entire area is well positioned for any housing market upturns.
The Chatham Park development will be years in the making, and if it affects traffic in Pittsboro it certainly will spill over to Orange County and Chapel Hill as well. While we'd like to see the entire area stay somewhat rural, progress happens, and we hope it will be well planned for the entire Triangle area, not just Chatham Park.
We're very happy with our decision, and wish you the best!

Old 12-25-2014, 07:01 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,338,660 times
Actually, where Chatham Park is slated to be developed I think that it will affect Pittsboro quite significantly, but its effect will be fairly negligible on Chapel Hill. Most traffic will be increasing on hwy 64.

I do think both areas are appealing, but I would encourage looking more northerly in Orange Co toward Hillsborough.

BTW, plenty of deer in Chapel Hill. I had 4 hanging out in my front yard today, very tame, about 6 feet away from us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary