Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2014, 07:12 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,336,102 times

Advertisements

What dismal parking situation? There are two decks plus a big lot east of Columbia as well as on-street parking. There are two decks west of Columbia, plus two lots and on street parking and VALET parking at night on both ends of Franklin. It's a very rare occasion that all three decks/lots are full on East Franklin (maybe for the Christmas parade). I usually just snag an on-street spot. It's easier than parking at Southpoint. Now THAT'S dismal!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2014, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
I agree - but for whatever reason, when we got out we tend not to think of Franklin Street. We tend to head toward Hillsborough or Durham. I wish we could say that we stay in Chapel Hill, and there are some places we have loved there, but sadly it's not at the forefront of our minds when we consider where to go.
Well, don't be sad about it. Just change your habits. There are tons of great restaurants in Chapelboro. No need to drive that far.

Old 12-20-2014, 10:12 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,078,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
What dismal parking situation? There are two decks plus a big lot east of Columbia as well as on-street parking. There are two decks west of Columbia, plus two lots and on street parking and VALET parking at night on both ends of Franklin. It's a very rare occasion that all three decks/lots are full on East Franklin (maybe for the Christmas parade). I usually just snag an on-street spot. It's easier than parking at Southpoint. Now THAT'S dismal!
Well I told you it had been a long time since I've been downtown.

Old 12-20-2014, 10:59 AM

The decks on East Franklin have been there for decades (deck-ades, get it!?). There's a new deck at 140 West Franklin. I haven't used that one yet. A new one just over the Chapel Hill/Carrboro line at the Hampton. It's free, too.

For those of you who are parking challenged, may I present this: Park on the Hill - Chapel Hill's Parking Resource

Old 12-20-2014, 12:52 PM

9,196 posts, read 24,938,023 times
East Franklin has always been easy. West Franklin previously had many challenges and was the origin of many predatory tows.

Old 12-20-2014, 03:32 PM

I've never had a problem with predatory towing on West Franklin in the 30 years I've been going down there. The only place I've had a problem with that was when I parked behind what was Golden Dragon (now Cosmic Cantina) about 25 years ago and once at University Square about 20 years ago. Zipped right into some on-street parking on West Franklin today and did a little Christmas shopping. Ran into a friend in the shop, had a nice chat, got just what I needed, too. Then I had to go out to Southpoint for 1 thing and it took me 30 minutes of circling the place and meditating to finally snake a place. Cars were hovering like vultures. Ugh. I hate that place at the holidays, but it can be bad any weekend.

If you haven't been downtown lately you might like to give it a try again. That's one of the things I really like about living in Chapel Hill and part of what makes Chapel Hill and Carrboro special. We love to eat downtown, too.

Old 12-20-2014, 08:57 PM

1,545 posts, read 1,874,252 times
just park in carrboro right beside open eye cafe, free parking all the dang time, and I think I read an article that for the month of December, parking is free period, but if that is not the case, you can park in the parking area I mentioned, are right there by the carborro arts center, again free, and no need to worry about being towed., there are two other areas, to park the first one I mentioned is on greensboro st. Right beside that lot is another area where you can park for free near Armadillo grill, there is another one further up on main st. closer to where there farmers market is, and you can also park at Carr-mill mall/ or heck, the bus is completely free, hop on that bad boy one day, if you worried about parking tickets or getting towed.

Last edited by drrckmtthws; 12-20-2014 at 09:05 PM..

Old 12-21-2014, 07:25 AM

Only park at Carr Mill if you're shopping at Carr Mill. They will tow, but understandably so. There are a limited number of places there. I've never been towed from there, though, because I only park there if I'm going to Weaver Street or Carr Mill. After hours and on the weekends you can also park at Fitch if you're just going to be in downtown Carrboro.

The deck at the Hampton/ArtsCenter is free, though, and has plenty of parking.

And yes, all parking downtown is free for the holidays. Yesterday I punched in my parking space number on the electronic parking meter and it said "Free Parking. Happy Holidays."

It was HELL at Southpoint. Ugh.

Old 12-21-2014, 04:50 PM

7,104 posts, read 11,600,888 times
Thanks for the parking info, poppydog! I never go to Franklin Street because I was under the impression the parking was terrible too. But today I took my dog for a walk there and found parking easily. Didn't do any shopping but will start spending more time there...especially during UNC winter break.

Old 12-21-2014, 06:51 PM

It's maybe a problem if there's a basketball or football game and folks park before the game to grab a bite on Franklin and then take the shuttle down to the game, but the rest of the time there's usually plenty of parking in the decks if not on the street. I almost always park on the street, though, and I'm down there probably every other week.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary