Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2008, 02:30 PM

241 posts, read 934,480 times

Advertisements

After over a year of going back and forth and deciding where to go, when to go etc... we've decided April 2008, we're taking the plunge

I've been lurking and posting on this forum for a while... and now I get to say I'm going to be your new neighbor... be afraid (kidding).

Any tips, advice, cautionary tales?

We're driving out from California (LA area) at the beginning of April. Renting a house in Cary for about 3-6 months so we can house hunt. My Husband already has a job so we're set and I will be looking for something part time.

We're very excited, nervous... everything you would expect going into a move... I'm sure a lot of you can relate

Thanks to everyone for posting, commenting and writing about everything we ever needed to know about the Triangle area... I've really relied on this forum every step of the way (Even at 1 am when we needed to find an all-night pharmacy near Apex... I used my internet phone and the city-data forum was the first answer on google!)! Thanks so much! Can't wait to get settled!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2008, 03:12 PM

168 posts, read 500,063 times
Best of luck with your move! You are making a great decision.

Old 01-05-2008, 03:17 PM

2 posts, read 10,052 times
how did you choose carey as a place to relocate? We are also Californians looking to relocate for financial reasons, and there are so many possibilities...it gets a little overwhelming...

Old 01-05-2008, 05:08 PM

546 posts, read 1,678,182 times
sounds like you already have a great start by having a job lined up, renting first before buying, etc. Cary is a great place and the surrounding areas wonderful too! We just moved a couple of months ago from Massachusetts to Apex, next to Cary, and we couldnt be happier. Congratulations!

Old 01-06-2008, 01:15 AM

1,036 posts, read 3,968,666 times
Welcome to NC!

As for tips, you are doing it right by renting and having a job lined up first. Really explore the area and look at some of the surrounding cities to Cary as well. I spent my first year renting before I decided what area was my best fit to buy a home in.

There are a lot of good options here and the atmosphere can very greatly between areas. Try to take in everything and explore.

Old 01-06-2008, 06:52 AM

147 posts, read 688,986 times
I think you're doing the right thing by renting. That wasn't really an option for us but I think overall it's the best thing to do. We have moved a lot and I always have found it's better to pick a location to be looking around in before you move, otherwise it gets overwhelming as there are so many choices. If you've narrowed it down to Cary already, that's great! We started off looking in N. Raleigh, Cary and Apex when we found out that we were moving here but quickly narrowed it down to Cary. It just made it so much easier to have a more limited pool of houses to look at, and the knowledge that if we didn't find anything there were more choices outside our self-enforced boundary gave me a sense of comfort as well.

We just recently closed on a house near Bond Park in Cary and are very happy. It's easy to get to everything you could want/need for shopping, entertainment, parks and so on. And it's really easy to get to Raleigh and Durham from here. Traffic during rush hour can be a little much but not too bad, especially compared to what we were used to in Miami!

Congratulations on your upcoming move!

Old 01-06-2008, 07:24 AM

91 posts, read 308,992 times
You will enjoy our area! Congrats on taking the plunge, we have so much in NC to be thankful for, sometimes I don't think we natives appreciate the beauty around us, the beaches and mountains are just beautiful and a short drive away.

There are currently 129 rentals listed in our MLS system in the Cary, Morrisville aea. This is a good source for looking at rentals. Best of luck to you!

Old 01-06-2008, 11:44 PM

13 posts, read 25,820 times
Unhappy difficulty relocating to cary, north carolina.

Hello, I have spent much time reading through post after post. I am so excited each time there is a post of a family relocating to NC. My husband and I have been researching cary for over a year and after making a couple of visits out with our children we have fallen in love with the state and feel it would be a wonderful place to raise our children. Unfortunately, my husband has not had much success with the job market. Any advice to a family of four ( 4 & 6 year old children) from northern California who eagerly await an oppurtunity to move out? My husband is a mechanical engineer, senior level and has been trying to find some networking in the triangle.
Any advice out there would be helpful...

Old 01-07-2008, 06:46 AM

1,832 posts, read 5,088,202 times
you know, there's a new company called Optimal that's coming to downtown Raleigh and is looking to hire about 300 people over the next couple of years, and I would think they'd want senior people first. I know they need mechanical people. Here's an article:
newsobserver.com | Raleigh may get 325 jobs (http://www.newsobserver.com/business/story/822693.html - broken link)

Maybe send his resume over there

Old 01-07-2008, 08:27 PM

13 posts, read 25,820 times
annesg,
Thank you for your response. My husband and I are trying to network advice and suggestions from all angles. We thought that we were well researched and "linked in", to successful job hunting but after a few job offers fell through and almost a year later we are getting anxious to make our move wondering when the time will come. So, thank you for the tip.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary