Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2015, 07:35 PM

3,649 posts, read 4,494,397 times

Advertisements

Good evening Triangle folk!

Totally going to ask a girl at work out tomorrow. We don't get the chance to talk much at work because we are in different departments and so our breaks are at different times, but I get off at 4:30 and her 4:00. Sooo. I am planning on asking her if she wants to grab a cup of coffee after work. I don't want to go somewhere lame like Starbucks, but may end up doing so cause all my bills were due at once this past pay period and don't have too too too much to spare!

so anyone know any relatively inexpensive coffee shops or cafes or whatever in (preferably) downtown Durham? Or maybe Chapel Hill? Like under $10-12 for both of us? I've tried googling but meh not so helpful.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2015, 07:57 PM

69 posts, read 173,314 times
I've never been, so I can't comment on price...but I've driven/walked by Cocoa Cinnamon at the corner of Geer/Foster quite a few times, and it always smells like good coffee...

Cocoa Cinnamon

I don't do much of my coffee drinking downtown, though, so maybe others can be of more help...

Old 01-05-2015, 07:57 PM

116 posts, read 172,891 times
Monuts or Cocoa Cinnamon - both in Durham.
Good luck!

Old 01-05-2015, 08:49 PM

2,024 posts, read 5,912,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentP View Post
Monuts or Cocoa Cinnamon - both in Durham.
Good luck!
Yep! Either of these would be great choices. Fingers crossed for you!

Old 01-05-2015, 09:11 PM

3,649 posts, read 4,494,397 times
Thanks guys! I'll probably try Cocoa Cinnamon. They're drinks look great. I'm excited but even now I'm so nervous already lol...idk why she makes me so nervous..hoping I'll be able to think of things to talk about! Oh lawd. Already chickened out on asking her out this past Saturday! Can't chicken out again...

Oh btw, is it super lame to talk about work? Not planning on it much, just don't know much about what they do specifically in her department, planning on asking how long she's worked there, if she wants to stay there for awhile, etc. I haven't had to go on a first date in awhile as you can tell :P

Old 01-06-2015, 08:00 AM

644 posts, read 841,645 times
If you want to have conversation, I suggest you go someplace else. Cocoa Cinnamon has fantastic coffee, but, it gets very crowded. Try Francesca's on 9th Street. The coffee is quite okay and the prices are a lot cheaper than Cocoa Cinnamon.

Old 01-06-2015, 08:00 AM

9,775 posts, read 15,776,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordHelmit View Post
Thanks guys! I'll probably try Cocoa Cinnamon. They're drinks look great. I'm excited but even now I'm so nervous already lol...idk why she makes me so nervous..hoping I'll be able to think of things to talk about! Oh lawd. Already chickened out on asking her out this past Saturday! Can't chicken out again...

Oh btw, is it super lame to talk about work? Not planning on it much, just don't know much about what they do specifically in her department, planning on asking how long she's worked there, if she wants to stay there for awhile, etc. I haven't had to go on a first date in awhile as you can tell :P
Just be yourself, friendly, interested and let the conversation guide itself. But asking about work is totally fine but I wouldn't think it would be the only topic you talk about. Good luck!

Old 01-06-2015, 10:41 AM

826 posts, read 1,931,989 times
Beyu Caffe in downtown Durham is nice with lots of seating. They do serve food too so not sure if it starts to pick up around dinner. They do have live jazz several nights of the week but it looks like it doesn't start until 7 pm.

Cafe Driade in Chapel Hill (outside of downtown) is a really cute coffee shop that feels rather intimate. Prices are probably on the higher end but very tasty drinks and it looks like they carry Gugelhupf baked goods (a great German bakery in Durham)

Old 01-06-2015, 11:31 AM

2,511 posts, read 2,815,964 times
Get her a cuppa joe, warm up by chatting about work, etc. Swing into weather talk, as it's going to be cold in the next couple of days. Transition into a "where are you from?", sort of how the weather compares, etc.

Smile, nod, and get her talking about her favorite subject: herself. Don't ask questions with "yes" or "no" answers: ask open-ended questions that require an answer with some length and thought. Also make sure to paraphrase some things she's saying, so she knows that you're listening and paying attention.

'Course: what do I know, right?

Old 01-06-2015, 01:13 PM

7,104 posts, read 11,593,295 times
Caffe Driade would be my ultimate coffee date place. It's gorgeous and if you run out of things to talk about you can always talk about how gorgeous it is there :-D

Good luck! I think it's natural to start off talking about work since you work together.

Report back because we must know how it went.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary