Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2015, 06:17 AM

2 posts, read 6,214 times

Advertisements

I got a ticket on 1/5/15 for speeding 82mph on a 55 zone on hwy 64.
I was dropping off my young son at the daycare and was on my way back home with my other child. Suddenly my daughter started chocking on a cookie that she was munching on. I got panicked and sped to find a safe area to stop. I probably sped for a min and slowed down when she started calming down and rt when I was turning on to 55 I had flashing lights behind me. I have never gotten a ticket in my life. I always drive carefully and within the limit because I have my kids with me most of the time.I told the officer that I got distracted for a min and requested him to let me go this time. He handed me the ticket with no mercy. I've lived here for 3 years and have been going on 64 everyday and not even once have I sped other than yesterday. I don't want my insurance to go up coz I'm unemployed as well. do u think If i go to the court on my own and explain to the judge , there is chance he could excuse me for one time or should I go with a lawyer. What are my chances with a lawyer that I can avoid points on my license and an increase of my insurance premium and getting this case dismissed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2015, 06:51 AM

9,144 posts, read 14,762,210 times
Does the ticket say 82 in a 55?

If you have no previous tickets, you can definitely get a Prayer for Judgment on your own if it were simply speeding. However, the 27 miles over may be an issue as they may not do it for that. You will get a letter from what seems like every lawyer in Wake county over the next 10 days or so. You can always call them and ask what they would typically do for your case. Ask if they think the ADA would give you a PFJC or if it would be more than that.

You could also go to court on the day and talk to the ADA and see what they say. If they will not do anything then you can ask for a continuance and get a lawyer. But either way, there is a good chance you will have some impact from this due to the number of miles per hour over the limit.

Old 01-06-2015, 06:58 AM

748 posts, read 1,375,869 times
My daughter recently got a ticket for the same speed, 82 in a 55. She hired a lawyer and because she had no previous speeding tickets, got the speed reduced significantly. She said her insurance will not go up but she did get points on her license.

Old 01-06-2015, 07:08 AM

347 posts, read 522,026 times
This is why we don't feed our son in the car. Yikes.

Definitely hire a lawyer to contest the ticket for you. It's worth the extra cost. I'm sure you'll be receiving letters in the mail shortly from local law firms.

Old 01-06-2015, 07:11 AM

9,359 posts, read 14,099,574 times
Pay the ticket. Give thanks that your daughter was okay and that you did not cause/have an accident.

Old 01-06-2015, 08:03 AM

36 posts, read 78,057 times
I'd recommend Greg Stafford at Attorney Gregory W. Stafford | Stafford & Heafner, PC

He specializes in traffic law. You probably won't even need to show up at court. He has handled a ton of traffic cases for people at the company where I used to work.

Good luck.

Old 01-06-2015, 08:36 AM

342 posts, read 872,274 times
Don't waste a Prayer for Judgement on this. Simply get it reduced to 9 over and call it a day. I would recommend getting a lawyer to save you wasted time at court and for the best outcome and advice. That is what they are paid to do. You will get plenty of advertisements in the mail over the next few weeks advertising services.

If you you pay the ticket, you could lose your license. Speeding more than 15 mph over can cause you to lose your license in a 55 mph zone.

Old 01-06-2015, 09:43 AM

1,337 posts, read 2,208,435 times
You'll get about 20 attorney letters all at once. My husband did and the ttorney handled it. he was going 35 in a 25-saw the 35 sign but hadnt reached it yet and got nabbed! Had to pay the ticket and attorney, but got the points reduced.
I would let the attorney handle it. If you told me your story and I was the judge, I'd question why you take/afford daycare for your son but are unemployed. Not judging, but possibly not very convincing in another's eyes as a reason for sympathy for not being able to afford it.

Old 01-06-2015, 09:46 AM

521 posts, read 1,598,647 times
I'm not one to usually recommend lawyers for traffic citations, but I would get a lawyer for a 27-over speeding ticket. I don't think you're going to make any headway with the judge (or, more likely, the asst. DA) with your explanation about the choking child.

Old 01-06-2015, 12:07 PM

2 posts, read 6,214 times
I definitely want to go through a lawyer. The dilemma is finding the right one. Can anyone suggest me a good lawyer who has dealt with a similar case and has been able to not get the insurance go up. My case is in Raleigh district court. How important is it that I find a lawyer that is based in Raleigh or it doesn't matter as long as he's well experienced. I called attorney Mathew J Golden who is advertised or popped up on this forum and he said I could get my license suspended for the speed that I am charged for and the main goal would be for that not to take place. He said there is no way out from my insurance not getting affected. My only chance is if the officer doesn't show up and the case getting dismissed. Another lawyer said that I will need to undergo some 8 hr safety class and community services in order to reduce the charge but that again doesn't promise of getting zero points. I'm getting so nervous about all this now. Is it the nature of the lawyers to make you feel like its very complicated . All of this is stressing me out.

Jondin, the Attorney you mentioned is located in Chapel Hill. Someone told me that it is really imp that the lawyer being familiar with all the judges if he would need to request for a PJC.

QuitestormNC, can u pass me the name of the lawyer that you used for your daughter? your daughters case gives me a little hope.

Has anyone used sparrow law firm. or Sandman, Finn & Fitzhugh. These are the local lawyers I found online.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary