Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2015, 02:27 PM

4 posts, read 4,548 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone, We are relocating for work to the Apex area. We are looking for a smaller historic town with a 30-45 minute commute to the NE Apex area. We are looking for affordable homes family oriented, organic gardening, farmers markets, healthy outdoor awareness living. Looking for current responses 2015. I have research the school issues, the rapid growth issues, the frustration from the locals, but business is business and business must grow....or so we've been told. I want an acre or two to hide away and raise my kids and be involved at the school and the community and enjoy the climate and a garden. Any suggestions? Be nice please.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2015, 02:31 PM

2,798 posts, read 2,988,534 times
Apex?

Old 01-09-2015, 03:45 PM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,379,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billygoatbetty View Post
Hello everyone, We are relocating for work to the Apex area. We are looking for a smaller historic town with a 30-45 minute commute to the NE Apex area. We are looking for affordable homes family oriented, organic gardening, farmers markets, healthy outdoor awareness living. Looking for current responses 2015. I have research the school issues, the rapid growth issues, the frustration from the locals, but business is business and business must grow....or so we've been told. I want an acre or two to hide away and raise my kids and be involved at the school and the community and enjoy the climate and a garden. Any suggestions? Be nice please.
Look into Carthage in Moore co. about 45 min from Apex down rt 1.

Carthage, North Carolina - Moore County -Home

Old 01-09-2015, 04:16 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,231,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billygoatbetty View Post
Where are you moving from?

Give us examples of what you think of as historic small towns.

Old 01-09-2015, 04:41 PM

379 posts, read 517,424 times
I thought Apex was/is an historic town to begin with. Why not just live there. It has a wonderful main street downtown area. And what you are looking for in terms of property is not far away.

Old 01-09-2015, 04:55 PM

We have lived in Phila, Eugene, Seattle, Pittsburgh, Vermont, Sacramento, Phoenix....We've never lived in the SE ..It's not where we're from it's where we're going to go!

Historic buildings, no cul-de-sacs, property-- not lots, history in that it (the town- main street) has been there maybe 100 years or so. Maybe an old Mill? Do they have them there? Maybe a historic industrial feel with an abandoned building or factory to convert?

My impression from the other posts from 2007 until present, are that the entire area grew fast. Lots of new construction. Some resentment. But Business tax breaks bring jobs not expanded schools to accommodate the growth. Hey Politicians and big business-- Working families have kids! Kids needs schools!! Taxes pay for schools!! Duh! I thought Apex looked overly populated... new buildings from on Google earth but I can't say for sure. But this is why I am asking, the info here seems dated and people seem angry. Are they?

Now we are one of the many who have been offered a job in that area and are considering the climate and family lifestyle plus is it lucrative?

Old 01-09-2015, 04:58 PM

162 posts, read 212,826 times
I've always liked Hillsborough.

Old 01-09-2015, 05:04 PM

Hillsborough might be too far especially with traffic. Thank you for the info though.

Old 01-09-2015, 05:07 PM

Carthage looks cool!

Old 01-09-2015, 05:09 PM

22,666 posts, read 36,764,249 times
What's your budget? Acreage isn't going to come cheap within a decent commute to Apex. Apex is a cute, older town with some history so there's that. This area isn't much different than any other sleepy old town that had suburbs spring up around it; I grew up in a town that was settled around the Revolutionary War, but my house wasn't built until 1933 and most of my friends' homes as well as the schools till the 1950s and 60s. Not such an odd scenario.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary