Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2015, 08:39 AM

16 posts, read 18,024 times

Advertisements

Frankpc, I'd love to go both geothermal and solar for the value of having expensive toys to play with, but trees get in the way and I moved to my neighborhood especially for the trees. The tradeoff is that their branches block sunlight onto the roof and I don't want to tear them out to put in some vertical ground loops.

Of course, the upside is that my cooling bills are reduced in the summer from their leaves ...

Thanks to everyone on here that has freely given me good advice. Much appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2015, 08:57 AM

170 posts, read 345,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beatkay View Post
I just had a great experience with Chuck Coldwell, from Northern Exposure. He came out and checked my old unit and, er, challenging site. (I have a crawl space where you really have to crawl at some points.) Calculated my load, took into account my uber insulation from SunDogs, and made a few suggestions to help with comfort levels.

Came for the install on time, supervised his crew, they were careful, polite, and professional when they were in the house, and ten days or so later, he handled the inspection.

I've never been so comfortable in this 100+ year old house!

Highly recommend; feel free to PM me.
Looking for someone to help with ductwork in my 1981 townhome. Appreciate your posting Northern Exposure. Anyone else have experience with them? Not part of bbb
Thanks!

Old 04-13-2015, 08:22 PM

4,167 posts, read 4,878,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoingBackEast View Post
Looking for someone to help with ductwork in my 1981 townhome. Appreciate your posting Northern Exposure. Anyone else have experience with them? Not part of bbb
Thanks!
There's only three reviews for them on Angie's List but all were 100% positive. They're definitely on my radar now for getting estimates though as they seem to do a lot of duct work for reasonable prices.

Old 04-14-2015, 09:01 AM

1,219 posts, read 3,294,327 times
Saw your post last night and asked my AC guy who was here this morning for our annual AC tune up. He said it sounds like a duct issue with the load calculation being off. Rather than getting a new unit need to take care of the duct work. We've been working with them since we got our house 10 years ago and they're excellent.

Smarter HVAC For Durham NC & The Triangle | Alternative Aire

Old 05-18-2015, 11:09 AM

170 posts, read 345,972 times
Default Thanks to whomever recommended Alternative Aire

We did have them out to inspect ductwork. Like everyone else, they advised (no way to inspect in this older town home) us to put in the mini slip ductless system at 6k believing the duct work was trashed. This is the standard reply. But we explained that we noticed when the heat was on that the upstairs vents blew more air. Bingo! Pushing back a bit helped them turn this into a six hundred dollar solution with a remote sensor system and an adjustment to the fan speed for the air conditioner. They did a great job listening, working with us, and discovering what the real issue was! You must do some investigative work as a home owner. I highly recommend them. No one else cared about anything but making a sale, including ARS. Kudos to Alt. Aire!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary