Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-17-2015, 11:40 AM

5 posts, read 9,738 times

Advertisements

I am being related for work to the Raleigh, NC area March 1, 2014. We just got back from a 3 day house search in the area with no luck.

We focused on the Cary, Apex and Holly Springs area. We were overwelmed with the fact schools are assigned based on specific address and several of the top schools in the area are capped.

Some of the neighborhoods we seemed to like were Lochmere (Cary), Sunset Oaks (Holly Springs), 12 Oaks (Holly Springs), and Scotts Mill (Apex). Problem was we did not see any houses that met our needs (at least of the ones available). Most were at the top of our budget and still needed major work like a major kitchen update. Seems like home inventory is lower than normal per our realtor.

Our needs are a good school as we have one child in Kindergarten and one child in 2nd Grade. We would also like a house with ideally with at least a quarter acre (0.25). Trees in yard are also very important. A neighborhood pool is also a very high priority.

We love the Cary area as the parks and trail system seem to be the best in the area.

So a couple of questions...

What neighborhoods would you recommend for a family of 4 that wants a family friendly neighborhood and great outdoor activities in the area (parks, walking trails, etc).

Any elementary schools in the Apex, Cary or Holly Springs areas that you would steer clear of?

Thanks in advance for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2015, 12:40 PM

22,665 posts, read 36,764,249 times
What's your budget
Where's the job, what kind of commute are you looking for
What are the needs that you reference in your post as far as a house besides .25 acre (and be aware that the newer the construction the smaller the acreage unless your budget is pretty high).
Pretty much no schools in the suburbs that you need to steer clear of

Based on what you are looking for I would recommend houses on the Cary/Apex border but it's hard to give you neighborhoods without knowing what you want to spend.

Old 01-17-2015, 01:16 PM

547 posts, read 774,538 times
I would rent before you buy to get to know the area.

Old 01-17-2015, 01:35 PM

5 posts, read 9,738 times
Budget would be $350k.
Will be commuting to Sanford, NC. So getting to Rt. 1 would be key for my commute
Looking for no more than a 30 min commute

Old 01-17-2015, 01:55 PM

13,368 posts, read 27,015,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Staubi71 View Post
Budget would be $350k.
Will be commuting to Sanford, NC. So getting to Rt. 1 would be key for my commute
Looking for no more than a 30 min commute
The commute will be more than 30 minutes from Lochmere if you are going to the center of Sanford. Perhaps you should stick to Holly Springs or Apex if you are fixed on a 30 minute or less commute.

Old 01-17-2015, 03:29 PM

2,023 posts, read 3,237,998 times
Although Lochmere is a lovely neighborhood, the feeder schools aren't all that great. They are the same schools I went to growing up there. And it's a 45+ minute commute to Sanford. Why put yourself through that? Holly Springs would be more convenient.

Old 01-17-2015, 04:41 PM

22,665 posts, read 36,764,249 times
I'm not familiar with holly springs to recommend a place. In Apex I would also look at Pearson Farms and Dogwood Ridge. In your price range you may have to live with some outdated stuff.

Old 01-17-2015, 05:23 PM

25,118 posts, read 16,198,148 times
I'd reverse map from your work to see how far you can live.

then get rid of your 0.25 acre requirement. you can come very close, and I would bet that would be OK.

some of the schools will be hard to judge because they're new enough. the best place to look for school results is ncreportcards.org

Old 01-17-2015, 07:06 PM

43,264 posts, read 77,043,330 times
Sounds like a new employee at Central Carolina Hospital. If so, I expect the 30 minutes is a fairly strict requirement for on call response.

30 minutes just stretches to Scotts Mill and Whitehall in Apex.
Bella Casa is possible, except for the .25 acre lot for the budget. And no current inventory that fits.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary