U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 01-07-2008, 07:39 PM

4 posts, read 4,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raleigh Native View Post
He wants to raise rates to cover the lose of revenue due to conservation. That is just plain hypocritical.

Stop approving new developments until we have the water to supply them. That might be a good first step.
My biggest bone of contention is that Meeker is wanting to charge us for what we are not using. Seems to be talking out of both sides of his quick talking mouth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 01-07-2008, 07:47 PM

401 posts, read 1,002,894 times
It's funny, I brought the shower/clothes washing issue up over christmas when all of my family was together. We all remember when we were little, not bathing every day, and (we thought anyway) it was normal. We also wore clothes several times before they were washed. Were we the dirty family or do y'all remember this too???
It seems like the idea of washing clothes after every wear is a fairly new one and one that will be hard to get this newer generation of people who have never had to suffer for anything to go back to.
Also, while I don't have anthing against people moving here I do agree that we should stop issuing permits until we have enough services to support them.

Unread 01-07-2008, 07:57 PM

4 posts, read 4,410 times
When we were up in Boone back in October, they were using paper plates/plastic forks and spoons, and styrofoam cups due to the shortage. Whey have we not gone to that?

Unread 01-07-2008, 08:01 PM

7,037 posts, read 12,847,998 times
My kids don't take baths everyday (recommended by our dermatologist years ago). I am a little overboard on the clothes washing though. I need to cut back on that, but if you have seen my 7 year old clothing after one day at school, you'd understand. I have NEVER seen such dirty clothing in my life (and she's a girl!)

It's either wash them or buy disposeable clothing.

Unread 01-07-2008, 08:03 PM

7,037 posts, read 12,847,998 times
Quote:
When we were up in Boone back in October, they were using paper plates/plastic forks and spoons, and styrofoam cups due to the shortage. Whey have we not gone to that?
That may help with the water, but sheesh, can you imagine the landfills after several years of that?

Unread 01-07-2008, 08:07 PM

24 posts, read 95,149 times
I am using plastic cups and syfoam since moving here two months ago. Not gone over to plastic forks yet I might though. We are using bottle water to drink. We not flushing toilets alot. We done to taking 2 shower a week for two people. We done from 6 loads of laundry to 3 a week, dishwasher is used two times a week. We using icecubes out of icemaker to water our inside plant, I keep a dirty pot of water in the sink all day to soak other things, about 5 gallons of water for two dogs. They still want us to cut more. We have no outside water.

Read mayor want to increase the water rate by 50% and 25 gallon person. If you go over that 50%. He says it due to the fat of lost rates and will go away once the drought goes. It going to be like life insurance you hope you never have to cash it in but still cost. Our what about the car inspections that started to help with the roads and would go away. We do not want you to use water due to the drought but you killing us here so we got to get more money some where.

Unread 01-07-2008, 08:10 PM
rfb

1,226 posts, read 2,896,221 times
Quote:
I hope it doesn't come to that. Filling our landfills with disposable products that take centuries (at best) to decompose isn't a very good alternative, IMO.

Unread 01-08-2008, 04:29 AM

5,527 posts, read 5,476,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewUser View Post
Yeah. That cracked me up too. Ah the good ol' days when I was single
I was just amazed at the amount of laundry being none. I never made recommendations about changing the amount of laundry you do for the kids. If you can dry clean the ADULTS clothes then you should (that would cut back) and as far as disposable utensils I think children can use those too

Unread 01-08-2008, 05:38 AM

1,541 posts, read 2,492,172 times
Quote:
So you are saying that we should bring more people in without water to supply them with to keep housing prices down? That makes perfect sense..
Despite the fact that half the people in growing cities don't seem to want new people coming and changing their precious cultures, or increasing traffic, or in this case using water, a city such as Raleigh - as a whole - is benefiting from the influx of people. The suggestions to try to stop growth whether with businesses or housing are first of all not going to happen and secondly will just hurt Raleigh. If anything, there needs to be a plan of how to get more water to the city. They'd be better off building a desalinization plant on the coast and piping the water in, and raising every business and personal state income tax 1%. I'm just making this up, obviously, but the idea of basically trying to turn off a city's growth right as it's starting to boom seems like a bad idea for the future...

Unread 01-08-2008, 05:41 AM

9,771 posts, read 9,416,523 times
The water restrictions should have been more stringent much sooner in the season, and should have applied to everyone. New housing permits should have been limited also. Why don't they spread the surcharge across all the developers who insist on building regardless.

I hear that even now watering lawns by hand is allowed for four hours in the a.m. and four hours in the p.m. Maybe folks could combine that with a shower outdoors.

Sounds like the city's done really poor planning or, rather, little planning and played favorites. How do they plan to use the extra money they will collect with this surcharge?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary