Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2008, 06:31 AM

5,524 posts, read 9,935,880 times

Advertisements

I know I said this before....and it was kind of tongue in cheek but why can't they just cut off the water from the source for let's say......18 hours per day and only allow for water usage during certain periods....or make it 4 hours per day or whatever? I mean I understand that showering in the AM is what 90% of people do so make the hours from 4a-8a or something similar. I am just throwing this out there but to tell people who are used to excess and have a history of over use and consumption (Americans in general of which I am one) to all of a sudden have to cut back is tough. Either cut it off or really start busting heads for using water. Don't let people water their lawn, or wash cars, or water driveways and reward those that that rat people out while punishing those that use it "illegally".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2008, 06:33 AM

932 posts, read 3,096,607 times
I'm a Native of Cary, back when the population was around 7,000. Wake county has not done nearly enough in regards to growth and the water problem. This is an issue that's been waiting to explode for years....basically the same thing that's happened to our schools. Wake county used to be the school system you wanted your kids in.

We have a family of 4. I'm a stay at home Mom with 2 kids under 4. None of us bathe everyday, we take "bird baths" in the sink to conserve. I have to wash my kids' clothes, there's no getting around that. I can't afford a low efficiency washer. maybe Meeker could put one in the budget for me. We have a low flow toilet, and we don't water our lawn, flowers, or garden. We've been conserving for months and still can't get to 25 gallons per day per person. I think a mass of people switching to disposable plates is terrible for the environment. We stick to one cup for the day and reuse when we can.

We are getting rain barrels soon. I love to garden and it's so sensible to use them....free water from the sky. Last year I used the kids baby pool to collect rain for my flowers.

Personally, I think there are a ton of people that haven't been conserving that should be.

Old 01-08-2008, 06:43 AM

932 posts, read 1,272,777 times
thank God for my well to the core of the earth! lol

If they would cut OFF water to the offenders- even for 48 hours, maybe people would learn. 2nd offense- water off for a week. THIRD offense - Quadruple their water rates for 6 months? I dont know....

A lot of these offenders can AFFORD to pay a $250 fine. Where's the deterrent if $ is no object to some people?

Old 01-08-2008, 06:52 AM

2,586 posts, read 9,099,725 times
I certainly hope Meeker is not uncontested in the next election! This "plan" is a joke. We use about 100 gallons per day for 2 adults and a 3 year old. We have a front-load washer and do about 4-5 loads per week. We have a brand new energy star dishwasher and load it FULL every time...probaby 3 loads per week. We take short showers each day, and our son gets a bath every other day in just a few inches of water. We don't water outside any more. We let the "yellow" mellow and only flush down the "brown". I'm growing a beard and only shave my neck a couple times per week. Honestly, we can't do much more.

Some things I refuse to do because they are not sustainable and only address one particular short-term situation, which will not help Raleigh deal with the water problem long-term. For example, I will not use paper/plastic/styrofoam dishes and utensils b/c I see no need in overloading the landfills. I will not drink bottled water because an incredible amount of resources goes into each bottle, including extra water to clean the bottles before filling, waste (plastic), fossil fuels (for production and transportation), etc...

Despite Meeker's overlooking of areas "OTB", I think to date he's done a decent job in his tenure as Raleigh's mayor. However, this shows me that he really is not competent to lead an entire city, including areas of phenomenal growth beyond his favored ITB area, and manage its resources accordingly.

Old 01-08-2008, 07:07 AM

959 posts, read 4,492,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tluv00 View Post
I know I said this before....and it was kind of tongue in cheek but why can't they just cut off the water from the source for let's say......18 hours per day and only allow for water usage during certain periods....or make it 4 hours per day or whatever? I mean I understand that showering in the AM is what 90% of people do so make the hours from 4a-8a or something similar. I am just throwing this out there but to tell people who are used to excess and have a history of over use and consumption (Americans in general of which I am one) to all of a sudden have to cut back is tough. Either cut it off or really start busting heads for using water. Don't let people water their lawn, or wash cars, or water driveways and reward those that that rat people out while punishing those that use it "illegally".
I'm at home during the day with three to four small children. We NEED to wash our hands very often

And as for dishes and laundry - we have to do a TON. I mean a TON. And it needs to be done daily. If they are ever going to have gallon restrictions before higher rates kick in in Raleigh they should double it for small children and babies. They eat all day long and make their clothes unwearable daily

Not that it would affect me (I'm in Durham) but I feel for all of you.

Old 01-08-2008, 07:37 AM

5,524 posts, read 9,935,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indigoblue View Post
I'm at home during the day with three to four small children. We NEED to wash our hands very often
What about the waterless hand soap? I mean the hand washing probably does not use that much water but if you do it enough it may. Handy wipes should work too. I don't have kids so I am sure what is healthy for them but if the hand gels are you can always use that. Of course that does cost extra

Old 01-08-2008, 07:50 AM

2,058 posts, read 5,859,938 times
There's no way around it, when you have kids, you need access to water all day.

The thing is is that you just need to make conservation of resources part of your life philosophy, not just a intermediate thing until we get more rain.

Old 01-08-2008, 08:14 AM

3,031 posts, read 9,084,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamishra View Post
I'm not trying to be sarcastic, but how would showering at the gym help reduce consumption? You may not pay for it in your own water bill, but certainly if everyone here did that, the gym membership would have to significantly increase to cover their water expenses too.
It certainly does tick me off a bit that current residents are being asked to pay 50% more for water while new developments are going up daily.
It doesn't help the drought---which is why I added the caveat that we're in MA where there is no drought and a shower is a shower. However, if you're paying 50% more for water, then it would help with the bill!

Old 01-08-2008, 08:17 AM

3,031 posts, read 9,084,943 times
Quote:
It's not really tongue in cheek. Aren't "rolling blackouts/brownouts" sort of the same thing during very hot days when energy usage is hitting all time highs?

I agree that the system should be tiered with the higher rates going to the higher volume of water. BUT water usage should be "assigned" per number of adults/children living in the household. That's how they did it in CA years and years ago when I lived there during a severe drought.

I also agree with some sort of growth restrictions (and I"m a New Englander wanting to relocate!). I think that severely limiting new home permits would help a lot. New homes are overbuilt anyway--I think I read that there's an 11 month supply of them now--so why build any more? If people moving into the area had much less of a selection in new homes and had to look at existing (I'm not a "new home" person so I apologize if my bias is showing here), then that might help the housing market and the water issue!

Old 01-08-2008, 08:20 AM

2,697 posts, read 8,693,412 times
Quote:
What about the waterless hand soap? I mean the hand washing probably does not use that much water but if you do it enough it may. Handy wipes should work too. I don't have kids so I am sure what is healthy for them but if the hand gels are you can always use that. Of course that does cost extra
One week after my daughter was born, we lived in Richmond and Huricane Isabel came through. We washed our hands constantly with a one week old and there was no water so we used Purel. By the time the water came back on the skin on our hands was so dry that it was extremely painful. I don't know if there are other hand gels without alcohol, but you can not use Purel all day long.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary