Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Raleigh, more similar to Richmond or Columbia
Richmond 24 80.00%
Columbia 6 20.00%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2015, 06:49 PM

2,823 posts, read 4,488,840 times

Advertisements

Raleigh is about 2 and a half hours from Richmond and 3 and a half hours from Columbia, roughly sitting in the middle. Which one would you say reminds you more of Raleigh?

Last edited by JayJayCB; 01-18-2015 at 07:01 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2015, 07:12 PM

22,665 posts, read 36,764,249 times
Neither.

When we were visiting here, scouting for our move, we stopped in Richmond (DH went to college there). After a ridiculous experience at a restaurant there, I said to my husband "this place is way more southern than where we are moving" and he said "I've been telling you that for years".

IMHO this area is light years ahead of both your choices.

Old 01-18-2015, 07:25 PM

3,669 posts, read 6,571,881 times
Only because I have to pick one, I'd go with Columbia. But I wouldn't say they're alike either.

Old 01-18-2015, 07:25 PM

2,047 posts, read 2,516,308 times
If I had to pick one I'd say Richmond. Raleigh is honestly like neither IMO.

Old 01-18-2015, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
Neither.

When we were visiting here, scouting for our move, we stopped in Richmond (DH went to college there). After a ridiculous experience at a restaurant there, I said to my husband "this place is way more southern than where we are moving" and he said "I've been telling you that for years".

IMHO this area is light years ahead of both your choices.
Really? Raleigh feels a lot more southern than Richmond, even with all the transplants (plenty of transplants in Richmond, too). Coming from Raleigh, I receive a "We're definitely getting up North" vibe whenever I visit Richmond, even though it's still a southern city.

Old 01-18-2015, 07:41 PM

8,159 posts, read 10,918,550 times
I would have to say Columbia only because it's an extra hour drive

Old 01-18-2015, 07:46 PM

22,665 posts, read 36,764,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJayCB View Post
Really? Raleigh feels a lot more southern than Richmond, even with all the transplants (plenty of transplants in Richmond, too). Coming from Raleigh, I receive a "We're definitely getting up North" vibe whenever I visit Richmond, even though it's still a southern city.
Richmond was the capitol of the Confederacy. NC was the last state to grudgingly join the war. To me, you can feel it.

I guess perception is reality, though, right?

Old 01-18-2015, 07:58 PM

9,576 posts, read 7,323,454 times
All three are unique and different in their own way!

Old 01-18-2015, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
Richmond was the capitol of the Confederacy. NC was the last state to grudgingly join the war. To me, you can feel it.

I guess perception is reality, though, right?
If we bring in the whole states of Virginia and North Carolina, NC definitely feels more southern. Only my opinion, though. The secession dates for VA and NC weren't that drastically different, both were among the four Upper South states to secede after Ft. Sumter.

You can feel it in Richmond, for sure. It was the former Capital of the Confederacy (just drive down Monument Avenue) and an old tobacco town like Durham and Winston-Salem. Very historic, and still pretty southern IMO. However, something about it feels a little northern like DC (probably the architecture). Also, apparently it's pretty transplant saturated just like Raleigh/Durham. I get the feeling that Raleigh was more of a "country town" for the longest time, at least up until the RTP boom. The two might be equal in terms of "southerness" but Raleigh still feels a little more southern IMO.

Old 01-18-2015, 08:34 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,273,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJayCB View Post
No way man. I lived in Richmond for 4 years before moving to Raleigh. It feels way more southern in Richmond (not that that is a bad thing).

To answer your original question: NEITHER.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary