Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2015, 11:44 AM

8 posts, read 9,474 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
That would be comparable to commuting from Fairfax, Virginia to Bethesda, Maryland.
Speaking my language....that definitely puts it into perspective for me. Thanks for all the great advice!

The schools seem confusing though. Do they not have certain school districts within the county? You talk about certain schools "filling up"...what does that mean?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2015, 12:00 PM

2,925 posts, read 3,337,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by captain071412 View Post
Speaking my language....that definitely puts it into perspective for me. Thanks for all the great advice!

The schools seem confusing though. Do they not have certain school districts within the county? You talk about certain schools "filling up"...what does that mean?
No there are no micro districts within the county, it is Wake County Public Schools. When you find a place to live you will find the out what the school assignment is for that address. You will be given a base school and a calendar option. We have both traditional and year round schools. If your base is traditional, you will be given year round options that you can apply for and vice versa.

With regards to schools filling up, the area is experiencing rapid growth. New schools are being built but in the meantime in areas for rapid growth (West Cary, Morrisville for example) some school are capped. They can not accept any more students. If you move mid school year to a home assigned to a capped school, you will be assigned to an overflow school. Cedar Fork in Morrisville was capped, I do not know if it still is. You can go to www.wcpss.net for further details.

There are areas that are relatively built out and they are not experiencing the crowding issues that West Cary is experiencing. Also, bear in mind depending on where you move, when the new schools are built school assignments will change to fill those school and alleviate crowing in other schools.

It is a lot of information to take in, I tried to give you a brief synopsis. Explore the district web site.

Old 01-21-2015, 12:18 PM

1,886 posts, read 4,813,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
Yeah, that is purposefully adding an unnecessary commute unless you just feel a magnetism for WF/Rolesville. It would be better to go south and look at Fuquay-Varina or Holly Springs for areas more similar to Wake Forest/Rolesville that aren't all the way on the other side of Raleigh. The commute through Northern Wake county is going to get nothing but worse over time (of course, the same is true of the commute through western Wake county--which is why there's really no reason to go much farther from Morrisville itself or Cary unless there is a specific reason.)
This.
NO REASON to subject yourself to a long commute. You say you would be OK with 30-40 minutes but in truth you can get what you are describing at 15-20 minutes from work.
That is one of the great things about this area. We have some redundancies in housing types and shopping options-think of a bunch of circles that overlap one another, each offering a self-contained lifestyle.
I have said it before-I gained 10 HOURS of free time per week by relocating and cutting my commute from 1:20 each way to 20 minutes. Think about what you can do with that kind of discretionary time-for me there is no pricetag that can be assigned to it.

Old 01-21-2015, 03:01 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,813,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by captain071412 View Post
The schools seem confusing though. Do they not have certain school districts within the county?
Nope, as stated, in NC, almost every county (with rare exceptions) has ONE school district. Wake County's is currently #16 in the US in enrollment with almost 150K students. One school board with 9 members serves it!

Old 01-21-2015, 03:03 PM

9,775 posts, read 15,776,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
Yes, Morrisville is right in the center of the Triangle. I think the schools are good there, but do realize that NC school districts are by county (Wake county) and so the whole county of 100,000 + students is one system. Many of the better schools fill up, but in the Morrisville area, I think you're going to be fine. If you don't even have kids (yet), you may well end up moving in the 6+ years before you really need to worry about that, anyway. Some could argue for living where the schools are less great (e.g. Durham county) but the COL is a little lower, while you don't have kids. Southwest Durham has lots of new construction and is near a nice fairly new mall, plus close to Chapel Hill but also near Morrisville and Raleigh. There are some cool places to rent in downtown Durham and lots of neat areas there, and growing.

The leisure activities you'd likely take part in would be spread around the Triangle anyway, so no need to live somewhere based on that.
DC area schools are also by county with a few county school districts (Montgomery and Fairfax) the same size as Wake. The one notable difference is that Fairfax and Montgomery generally do not "cap" schools. They may eventually redistrict an address to a different school, but you do not get shut out of a school if it is "full."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary