U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2008, 07:07 PM

51 posts, read 357,393 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone, Got a place in Mayfaire Apartments starting in mid February. Wondering what everyone has to say about the area. Nearby places to eat, shop, etc. (When I say nearby, I don't mean Cary, or downtown, etc., but within about 5-10 min of the area, between Strickland and Lynn near Lead Mine)

Also anyone with pets, if anyone has a recommendation for an Animal Hospital nearby. As well as a quick, good place to get oil changes in the area (not a mechanic, I can work on cars and I would do it myself if I had the space).

Thanks!

Jesse
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2008, 07:22 PM

115 posts, read 396,332 times
It's a nice and safe area. I lived in The Village apartments up by strickland and leadmine for a year.

The crabtree mall is just down the street, the greenways and shelley lake are nearby. Tons of chain stores along glenwood ave. North Hills is also less than a 10 minute drive.

Armadale Animal Hospital is probably the closest vet.
Armadale Animal Hospital - Home - Raleigh, NC

Old 01-07-2008, 07:49 PM

906 posts, read 2,069,717 times
Margaux's is a really nice restaurant near the intersection of Creedmoor and Strickland. Pricey, but a good splurge.

At the corner of Six Forks and Strickland you've got Home Depot, KMart, Food Lion and another grocery store, Zest cafe & store, Salsa Fresh (burritos and the like), Borders Books and maybe Linens & Things or Bed Bath & Beyond.

Its a great location. Congrats!

Old 01-07-2008, 08:27 PM
rfb

1,843 posts, read 5,007,571 times
As others have said, this is a nice area. Plenty of shopping and restaurants nearby. Milton's Pizza is a nice family Italian restaurant at the corner of Strickland and Six forks. In the same area, there is Nina's (an upscale Italian restaurant), Zest (a nice, quirky restaurant/store combo which I like a lot), Rio Churrascaria (an all-you-can-eat Brazilian restaurant), and Rudinos (pizza and grinders), Char-Grill (local favorite for burgers), and Goodberry's (great frozen custard).

At Strickland/Glenwood there are additional restaurants, including Margaux (an upscale restaurant) as mentioned above and Briggs (a good breakfast place). At Glenwood/Bridgeport is Wildflour Pizza (serves Boston-stype pizza), Cozumel (Mexican), Crowleys (an American restaurant), Buffalo's (wings and burgers), and an Outback.

For pets, iIn addition to Armadale mentioned above, there is also Bowman Animal Hospital near Strickland/Glenwood which we use and like for our dog.

For car changes, there is a Jiffy Lube near Strickland/Glenwood, and another place (can't remember the name) in a shopping center at the Strickland/Six Forks shopping center (the one with Nina's, Rio Churrascaria, Rudinos and Goodberry's.

Old 01-07-2008, 10:17 PM

982 posts, read 2,144,497 times
You have really lucked out in landing into one of the best areas of Raleigh. How did you manage that? Your apartment complex is in an excellent location, with everything within a short drive.

Safe neighborhood, very nice area. Quiet and low crime.

From where you'll live, you've got a five-minute drive to great grocery stores like Harris Teeter which has a great produce and seafood dept., the Home Depot, Bed Bath & Beyond, Borders, fabulous restaurants, Target on Lynn Road where there is also Lowe's, Linen's & Things. You'll have Crabtree Valley Mall, Kinko's, Office Depot and Tuesday Morning on Creedmoor and Strickland, on and on. And Whole Foods isn't really THAT far of a drive.
Congratulations!
toodie

Old 01-08-2008, 04:58 AM

934 posts, read 932,204 times
been ages since i lived in that area, but Bowman Animal Hospital is right on Creedmore I believe and has an awesome reputation!

Old 01-08-2008, 05:23 AM

1,515 posts, read 6,330,466 times
I think everyone has covered the location highlights really well.

Definately check out Zest! cafe and take a long walk around Lake Lynn (its off of Lynn Road). Also check out Shelley Lake too, they have a great walking path as well. (You can also check out boats!)

The only vet I do NOT recommend is the Six Forks animal hospital. Moderator cut: removed I do recommend Bowman, they are excellent.

Good luck with the move!

Last edited by autumngal; 01-12-2008 at 05:04 PM.. Reason: dm, cannot post unsubstantiated allegations please

Old 01-08-2008, 11:42 AM

445 posts, read 1,654,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rfb View Post
At Strickland/Glenwood there are additional restaurants, including Margaux (an upscale restaurant) as mentioned above and Briggs (a good breakfast place). At Glenwood/Bridgeport is Wildflour Pizza (serves Boston-stype pizza), Cozumel (Mexican), Crowleys (an American restaurant), Buffalo's (wings and burgers), and an Outback.

For pets, iIn addition to Armadale mentioned above, there is also Bowman Animal Hospital near Strickland/Glenwood which we use and like for our dog.

For car changes, there is a Jiffy Lube near Strickland/Glenwood, and another place (can't remember the name) in a shopping center at the Strickland/Six Forks shopping center (the one with Nina's, Rio Churrascaria, Rudinos and Goodberry's.
The poster is a little off on street names, substitute Creedmoor everywhere it says Glenwood.

Old 01-12-2008, 02:22 PM

4 posts, read 6,767 times
Default Strickland and Lynn near Lead Mine

I've lived at Shelley and North Hills for about 6 years. I like the proxcimity to the Green Way, 440/540, and Umstead. Lots of shopping around if you like that stuff. The area is fairly safe, but you gotta be safe. Not so sure about animal hospitals, but there are a few out there. I like Salsa Fresh for quick Mexican grub, and Salomons for Middle Eastern (sp). Oil change, need help on this one, if you find one, pass it on. Thx Rut

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesseschulman View Post
Hey everyone, Got a place in Mayfaire Apartments starting in mid February. Wondering what everyone has to say about the area. Nearby places to eat, shop, etc. (When I say nearby, I don't mean Cary, or downtown, etc., but within about 5-10 min of the area, between Strickland and Lynn near Lead Mine)

Also anyone with pets, if anyone has a recommendation for an Animal Hospital nearby. As well as a quick, good place to get oil changes in the area (not a mechanic, I can work on cars and I would do it myself if I had the space).

Thanks!

Jesse

Old 01-12-2008, 02:34 PM

4 posts, read 9,521 times
I live in that area and absolutely love it. It's a lovely safe area that's close to everything folks have already mentioned. I have a dog and can highly recommend Armadale - it's is a fabulous place for your pet needs. They offer boarding services, grooming, and of course, vet services.

Crabtree Valley Mall has some newly renovated shops, Best Buy, Old Navy, and some other favorites are right there. There's a movie theater nearby, and some good eats too. There are some new restaurants in the Kroger plaza (corner of Creedmoor and Strickland) that are not bad either. And Char-grill has some pretty tasty hamburgers if that's your thing.

Welcome to the area!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary