Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2015, 10:46 AM

115 posts, read 230,462 times

Advertisements

I currently live in the Bay Area, California (San Jose) and we're considering moving to the North Raleigh/Cary area. I've heard a TON of positive things about it, but one of the cons I've heard is that it can be 'boring' - mountains and beach are hours away, which means you get neither, the suburbs *can* be cookie-cutter, (esp in Cary) etc. I've never been, just things I've heard on different threads.

We are a family of 4. My wife and I are in our early 30s and our kids are 4 and 2. Our main priorities are family-friendly community, with things to do on the weekends, lots of kids. We envision our kids playing with the neighborhood kids in a really safe area. DEFINITELY something that does not exist in San Jose.... While I don't need to go out on the town every weekend, we'd like to be able to have some sort of nightlife every once in a while, or at least have the option to have a fun date night. I suppose what I'm getting at is that some people say that Cary/North Raleigh are 'boring' and there's nothing to do. How valid is this statement?

I realize this is a VERY general question, but what do families who live in Cary or North Raleigh do on the weekends? What are popular parks/hiking trails are around? What attractions are there for families? I know many people will say 'it is what you make it', but I'm looking for specific areas/attractions that families typically do.

Thank you!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2015, 11:11 AM

11,221 posts, read 8,292,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Californian12345 View Post
I currently live in the Bay Area, California (San Jose) and we're considering moving to the North Raleigh/Cary area. I've heard a TON of positive things about it, but one of the cons I've heard is that it can be 'boring' - mountains and beach are hours away, which means you get neither, the suburbs *can* be cookie-cutter, (esp in Cary) etc. I've never been, just things I've heard on different threads.

We are a family of 4. My wife and I are in our early 30s and our kids are 4 and 2. Our main priorities are family-friendly community, with things to do on the weekends, lots of kids. We envision our kids playing with the neighborhood kids in a really safe area. DEFINITELY something that does not exist in San Jose.... While I don't need to go out on the town every weekend, we'd like to be able to have some sort of nightlife every once in a while, or at least have the option to have a fun date night. I suppose what I'm getting at is that some people say that Cary/North Raleigh are 'boring' and there's nothing to do. How valid is this statement?

I realize this is a VERY general question, but what do families who live in Cary or North Raleigh do on the weekends? What are popular parks/hiking trails are around? What attractions are there for families? I know many people will say 'it is what you make it', but I'm looking for specific areas/attractions that families typically do.

Thank you!!!
Yawn. Cary itself has some non-cookie cutter areas, but in general, it's suburbs (I live here and love it). Some neighborhoods are crawling with kids, others are not. Get a good realtor to find what you want.

Cary is 15-20 minutes from Downtown. I can't imagine you wouldn't find something fun for datenight in DT Raleigh. (My GF and I have gone out every Thursday for nearly 2 years and our to-do list keeps growing.)

Mountains: 2-5 hours
Beach: 2-4 hours

what do families who live in Cary or North Raleigh do on the weekends?
Ride my bikes on the greenways, litterally hundreds of miles. Hike in Umstead State Park (Many trails of various lengths. Festivals all summer long, just about every weekend for 9 months a year. One of the many microbreweries or outdoor seating restaurants. Music festival. Food Festival. Yard work. Day trip to one of many places. This isn't S.F., but there is more to do here, and within driving distance than I'll do in my lifetime. (it is what you make of it)

What are popular parks/hiking trails are around? What attractions are there for families?
Google Umstead State Park and Capital Area Greenway system for local answers. Then a bunch of others. A few that come to mind: Eno State Park, Bond Park (Cary), Raven Rock State Park, Falls Lake, Jordan Lake, Harris Lake, San Lee Park.

Bottom line is most people like it, some people don't. I fall into the "like it" catagory.

(Sorry for the directness of my reply. Finishing lunch hour at work and need to get back to the JOB.

Old 01-22-2015, 11:38 AM

644 posts, read 841,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Californian12345 View Post

Thank you!!!
Don't mean to pick on you, but, what beach do you guys go to within the vicinity of the Bay area that is actually at a temperature that is comfortable to swim in? I don't think such a beach exists. So, if were you, I'd add being able to actually swim in the beach a major +. And, Wilmington beaches are two hours or so away. That's the amount of time it takes one to go from SF to San Jose.

Nightlife - I have lived and worked in the NYC area (don't mean to say that it compares to San Jose), and I like the nightlife here a lot more. People are incredibly nice.

Specific weekend attractions - Umstead Park, the dozens of lakes and parks. I love going to the State farmer's market. First friday in Raleigh is a lot of fun too. People are very community oriented here, so there are many social gatherings that are community specific.

Old 01-22-2015, 11:41 AM

2,925 posts, read 3,337,486 times
Have you visited the area. My advice is to test it out for 2 weeks, you determine if there is enough for you to do. IMO, no problem. I am not one of the people saying it is boring. How old are your kids?

I think you need to pick where you are moving wisely. What keeps you entertained? I have kids and love that there are 2 great kids museums within 30min of my house. The park system is terrific and during the milder months there are plenty of festivals and fairs that all have a family friendly component. I am Cary, Raleigh also has a great park system. Take the kids to a Bulls game! Pullen park, with it's paddle boats and carousel are fun. As MyGhost pointed out, your realtor can help you pick a neighborhood with lots of kids. If your kids are in school or activities they will also make lots of friends that way

As far as date night. My neighbors constantly go to the symphony and concerts. I have a long list of restaurants that I want to try (Raleigh, Durham and Chapel Hill). I came from the NYC area and there are some people who will consider a place boring if it not a major city. Some of this depends on where you are at in your life and what you are looking for. For me, I'm not bored.

Old 01-22-2015, 11:42 AM

544 posts, read 851,912 times
There are plenty of things to do for kids and adults. You wouldn’t have any trouble finding a neighborhood with lots of kids. Date Night options are plentiful. I wouldn’t say this area is boring. I think you could possibly call it a little bland, though. It doesn’t really have the distinct identify that some cities do. But I can’t think of anything I would want to do – that I can’t do here.

Indeed the area is spread out, but the growth really started taking off during the era of low-density suburbia and shopping centers. That’s just how this area grew, although higher-density development is increasing.

I love the fact that we are a very reasonable drive from BOTH the ocean and mountains.

As many will tell you, you just have to come check it out for yourself.

Old 01-22-2015, 11:53 AM

115 posts, read 230,462 times
[quote=jaiho;38127874]Don't mean to pick on you, but, what beach do you guys go to within the vicinity of the Bay area that is actually at a temperature that is comfortable to swim in? I don't think such a beach exists.

You are definitely correct. Santa Cruz's water is FREEZING. You need a wet suite to get in. It's semi-tolerable if you just go in knee deep and play with a ball or something, but surfing..you need a wet suite. Not a big deal, honestly. But it's cold.

We like the beach because of the towns around there, the beach atmosphere, really. There's the Boardwalk in Santa Cruz, the Monterey Bay Aquarium, Pebble Beach area is amazing, etc. It's not so much the temperature of the water we care about, it's the fact that we can drive 20 min - 90 min to completely 'get away'. I know Santa Cruz's atmosphere is different, but there's a whole culture around it that's fun to visit every once in a while. That's really what I'm getting at.

Old 01-22-2015, 11:58 AM

2,925 posts, read 3,337,486 times
[quote=Californian12345;38128121]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaiho View Post
Don't mean to pick on you, but, what beach do you guys go to within the vicinity of the Bay area that is actually at a temperature that is comfortable to swim in? I don't think such a beach exists.

You are definitely correct. Santa Cruz's water is FREEZING. You need a wet suite to get in. It's semi-tolerable if you just go in knee deep and play with a ball or something, but surfing..you need a wet suite. Not a big deal, honestly. But it's cold.

We like the beach because of the towns around there, the beach atmosphere, really. There's the Boardwalk in Santa Cruz, the Monterey Bay Aquarium, Pebble Beach area is amazing, etc. It's not so much the temperature of the water we care about, it's the fact that we can drive 20 min - 90 min to completely 'get away'. I know Santa Cruz's atmosphere is different, but there's a whole culture around it that's fun to visit every once in a while. That's really what I'm getting at.
You are not going to find a California vibe on the beaches here. Many people do rent houses or go for long weekends to the beach. Myrtle Beach is also drivable (3 - 3.5 hours). You can also make trips to Charleston and DC. Again, it's not CA it's different, but is that what you are looking for?

Old 01-22-2015, 12:41 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,813,762 times
Cary and most of the Raleigh surrounding towns are most known for being "family friendly", almost "Stepford"-ish to some. Picture Wisteria Lane in "Desperate Housewives"--though I can't promise the drama

Quote:
You are not going to find a California vibe on the beaches here. Many people do rent houses or go for long weekends to the beach. Myrtle Beach is also drivable (3 - 3.5 hours). You can also make trips to Charleston and DC. Again, it's not CA it's different, but is that what you are looking for?
Correct. The beach is 2 hours at a minimum here, though NC beaches are plenty and you can swim there from about May (sometimes) to October. Not a "day trip", however. You might look into South Carolina is there is no specific reason you have to live in North Carolina and want a more "California-like" beach within easier reach.

If you don't specifically have a job lined up in Raleigh per se and are interested in the beach, you might look into Wilmington or the Greenville area such as Winterville. I don't know what your job situation is or what industry you're in but presume a family would not "up and move" without finding a job first.

Anyway, your post title is kind of misleading and if you can change it, you might make it more specific, like "Is Cary/Raleigh boring?". A little searching the forum and you'll also find other threads asking basically the same question. However, no worries on safety and family-friendliness in the myriads of suburbs in this area--but other things your looking for might be better somewhere else.

Have you ever been to this area? If not, why did you pick here to move to? Really nothing but a visit firsthand will tell you whether an area is for you or not, especially West Coast vs East/Southeast.

Old 01-22-2015, 04:13 PM

5,874 posts, read 6,940,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
The beach is 2 hours at a minimum here, though NC beaches are plenty and you can swim there from about May (sometimes) to October. Not a "day trip", however.
From my house in Cary/Apex area, I can get to Wrightsville Beach in just under 2 hours. We have done many, many day trips. I-40 is a boring drive, however.

Old 01-22-2015, 05:40 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,153,963 times
Compared to our time in Los Angeles and Manhattan, Raleigh is boring.

When we lived in LA, we could hop a bus on Olympic Blvd or Wilshire Blvd and be at Santa Monica beach in about 45 minutes.

In Manhattan, the transit system will take you to numerous beaches and cultural activities.

Cary is a place you'll either love or hate. Some compare it to a population solely focused on the holy grail of property values. If that floats your boat....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary