Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2015, 04:42 AM

43,264 posts, read 77,043,330 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
I'm thinking west of Carrboro might be the sweet spot for the O.P.
Yes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2015, 04:48 AM

22,665 posts, read 36,764,249 times
Western Wake isn't going to have progressive public schools with less than 30 kids per class. The fact that Davis Drive Middle and Mills Park El and Middle are capped are the first clue that he needs to avoid that area.

Old 01-30-2015, 06:37 AM

2,492 posts, read 3,028,419 times
I'm thinking Chatham county. Lots of farmland out there.

Old 01-30-2015, 07:09 AM

Actually, there is land all over the place that would work for the OP.

OP needs to get comfortable with a few schools, and that will narrow things down.

Old 01-30-2015, 07:25 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,231,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Actually, there is land all over the place that would work for the OP.

OP needs to get comfortable with a few schools, and that will narrow things down.
I do think OP needs more than 2 acres if he wants room for a barn and livestock plus privacy from neighbors. The more land OP needs, the more limited the options (given OP's budget) around here for land plus house (including renovation, since OP doesn't like new houses) plus the type of schools OP describes, no?

Old 01-30-2015, 07:44 AM

2,983 posts, read 4,620,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
I do think OP needs more than 2 acres if he wants room for a barn and livestock. The more land OP needs, the more limited the options (given OP's budget) around here for land plus house (including renovation, since OP doesn't like new houses) plus the type of schools OP describes, no?
I'm not sure about the quality of schools, but the Wake Forest area would probably give the OP more acreage for the money. I saw a listing several months ago for a 15 acre property with a decent 3 bedroom house that had a barn and was fenced for horses for < $600k. I'm not sure what county the property was located because it was in the area where Wake, Granville, and Franklin converge.

Edit: I misread the house requirements. I see the OP is looking for 4 bedrooms.

Old 01-30-2015, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
I do think OP needs more than 2 acres if he wants room for a barn and livestock plus privacy from neighbors. The more land OP needs, the more limited the options (given OP's budget) around here for land plus house (including renovation, since OP doesn't like new houses) plus the type of schools OP describes, no?

RE new construction. And, I may be in error. I got the impression the OP just wants to avoid suburban bliss of having the same house across the street and 30 windows looking down on the yard from 6 houses.

The OP's expressed budget makes things easier, much easier than the folks who want 2+ acres and a house for $400,000..
The OP has a LOT to pick from, to build a new house.
$150,000--$300,000 for land leaves enough to toss up a decent little love shack.

Old 01-30-2015, 07:57 AM

2,024 posts, read 5,912,710 times
Ex-Cantabridgian here.

Thankfully, our metro area does **NOT** have places like the Route 2 and 495 corridors -- large-acre lot properties, economically exclusive communities closed to the working poor and minorities, elite school systems, ineffective land use.

Wisely, we choose to grow cities here and the well-off typically live in Raleigh, Cary, Chapel Hill, Durham and the like. Suburbs and exurbs are "familyland" but typically at an affordable price for a middle-class family.

I would be sickened to see the same kind of mis-development that occurred in metro Boston after desegregation take place here. Happily for me (though not the OP!), we don't have "those" kind of communities the OP is seeking in our area.

To get the land you want, you'd have to move to Johnston or Granville or Chatham Co. In the first two of those, you will not... exactly... find progressive communities and neighbors.

Old 01-30-2015, 07:59 AM

8,704 posts, read 10,893,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonis View Post
Considering a move to the area but need direction. Currently live in MA, 30 minutes outside of Boston. Fairly rural area. We Want more property (2 plus acres) the option of having goats and chickens, a barn, etc. Do not want a McMansion or a development. Schools must be good for my middle schooler boys. We enjoy farmers markets, local and organic foods, hiking, plus the arts. Is this an option? What town should I focus on?
Thanks so much!
Unincorporated areas WSW of Raleigh, parts of Fuquay-Varina, Willow Spring, Chatham County, North Durham.

I do not believe in going by just school ratings. Chapel Hill schools are rated excellent, but in reality they are rated well because they have better students attending. Take the SE Raleigh students and plop them into Chapel Hill schools and you will see the ratings drop. Basic point is that a good student will do well in an average rated school. I would visit the schools in the areas you are considering to get a better feel for what is good for your kids.

Old 01-30-2015, 08:05 AM

2,825 posts, read 6,923,274 times
I think Orange County would work well, and I am biased towards Hillsborough. There are definitely areas that can accommodate the land/housing requirement, and I think our schools are good. We have had a good experience so far with the special education program in Orange County Schools, though we are still with the elementary school so don't have experience with the middle school yet. We have two farmer's markets in Hillsborough, Weaver Street Market for organic groceries, River Walk and Occoneechee Mountain for hiking, and the arts. Check out the video on the town's website: Hillsborough: America's Coolest Small Town | The Town of Hillsborough Government, NC
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary