Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2015, 07:10 PM

9,776 posts, read 15,776,851 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by adams_aj View Post
Had to move everything into storage and stay at my mother-in-law's. She was a great cook and had a hot, bubbling dinner ready every night. When our house was finally finished, I almost hated to move in!
There's your answer! Sell your house and move to adams_aj's mother-in-law's house who will cook you a homemade meal every night.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2015, 11:07 PM

8,583 posts, read 16,003,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adams_aj View Post
Had to move everything into storage and stay at my mother-in-law's. She was a great cook and had a hot, bubbling dinner ready every night.
Thought at first I was reading

"hot bubbling bath ready every night"

Old 02-04-2015, 01:31 PM

1,381 posts, read 2,101,844 times
It's so stressful and scary. Our last move, in 2009 was from Garner to Holly Springs. Our home was on the market for 9 months and when it sold, we could not find something to purchase and ended up moving into a townhome rental for 3 months (we were SO lucky to have that) but it was horrid! 3 kids, 2 dogs in a townhome miles away from their school (2 bedrooms).
So we are thinking about moving again and I"m so worried that we'll be in this boat again! But we don't have a lot of other options....but it does seem to work out for most people..(just not us!!)

Old 02-04-2015, 02:48 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,230,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJKB View Post
It's so stressful and scary. Our last move, in 2009 was from Garner to Holly Springs. Our home was on the market for 9 months and when it sold, we could not find something to purchase and ended up moving into a townhome rental for 3 months (we were SO lucky to have that) but it was horrid! 3 kids, 2 dogs in a townhome miles away from their school (2 bedrooms).
So we are thinking about moving again and I"m so worried that we'll be in this boat again! But we don't have a lot of other options....but it does seem to work out for most people..(just not us!!)
Years and years ago, we sold our home and had to move out as our new home wasn't complete.

We had 3 kids and a dog.

We moved to a 2 bedroom apt. and stored all of our boxes in the dining room. Youngest slept in a closet!

It was winter and the floors were cold. We had a small Christmas tree.

It was HORRIBLE!

I just kept telling myself that in 3 months, we'd be in our beautiful new home and that got me through it.

Old 02-04-2015, 04:34 PM

4,252 posts, read 3,170,586 times
I always tended to sell my house first and then build or purchase another one. Was it a hassle-yes but not nearly as stressful as having one ready to go and your house hasn't sold. Make certain you get a really good agent to guide you through the process. They are familar with the current market and what to expect. By the way, as previously noted, be very careful with moving companies-some are out and out crooks!

Old 02-04-2015, 04:43 PM

43,266 posts, read 77,043,330 times
It is a sellers' market in much of the Triangle. People are swarming good houses.
I would find my next house and move into it, and market a vacant home. I would advise that route to anyone who could qualify for two mortgages and handle two payments for a month or two.

So, you carry two homes for a month or two. There are tons of other expenses that go with selling the roof over your head. Not having a place to go, or "settling," to avoid a couple months of double expenses are both expensive and tremendously stressful in their own right.

Old 02-04-2015, 04:46 PM

189 posts, read 507,537 times
It is very stressful to sell and buy at the same time.
We did that once and listed our house for sale first at the recommendation of our Realtor as it was a buyer's market.
It turned out that our house sold in a day, and we had to scramble to find another home within a month.
Although we ended up finding a nice home, I wonder if we would have bought that house if we were not in a hurry.
It is hard to keep a house show-ready with kids and pets, so lot of people buy and move to their new house before listing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary