Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2015, 12:46 PM

1,886 posts, read 4,798,749 times

Advertisements

Diversity is relative. Johnston County is far less diverse than Wake/Durham/Orange.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2015, 12:47 PM

2,492 posts, read 3,013,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrtoanomaybe View Post
Are you refering to the meth issue there?
Yes

Old 02-06-2015, 12:52 PM

13,323 posts, read 26,772,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Funky Chicken View Post
Diversity is relative. Johnston County is far less diverse than Wake/Durham/Orange.
If I were a minority, I would be very turned off by the name "Flowers Plantation". Even though it post-dates the slavery era, a plantation has negative connotations. There is history behind the name, and the second story is a positive slant about an African-American man born nearby.

History of Flowers Plantation | Clayton Housing Community
http://www.flowersplantation.com/Por...%206.20.14.pdf

If this helps, the Clayton township is moderately diverse. C-D does not have a separate breakdown on Flowers. This is the ethnic mix of Clayton township:
White Non-Hispanic: 75.3%
Black: 16.9%
American Indian and Alaska Native: 0.3%
Asian: 0.5%
Native Hawaiian and Other Pacific Islander: 0.0%
Hispanic or Latino: 6.1%
Two or more races: 0.8%
Some other race: 0.1%

Read more: http://www.city-data.com/township/Cl...#ixzz3Qzc2kMr6

Old 02-06-2015, 02:37 PM

22 posts, read 39,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
If I were a minority, I would be very turned off by the name "Flowers Plantation". Even though it post-dates the slavery era, a plantation has negative connotations. There is history behind the name, and the second story is a positive slant about an African-American man born nearby.
Yes, this is part of the reason for asking about the diversity. I love the homes in the community and all the amenities, but for "Plantation" to be apart of the name is odd in 2015. I have been questioning if this was a subliminal message to minorities to stay out??

Thoughts??

Old 02-06-2015, 03:29 PM

7 posts, read 18,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
Most of the new home, planned communities are called "Plantation" something or other. Slavery is not the idea behind the name, come on. I think that's stretching it and a little hyper sensitive. I've lived in the south for two years and all races get along great. I saw more racism in liberal "diverse" California for 30 years. If you are going to not buy a house in a community because it's called "Plantation," then you are the one with the issue, not everyone else in the community.

Old 02-06-2015, 03:53 PM

9,337 posts, read 13,912,847 times
A plantation is simply a large estate where one or more agricultural crops is/was grown. In the past, before modern agriculture, there was a lot of hand labor involved. Thus many persons often lived on the estate to work the crops. The families may have been tenant farmers or day laborers. They were paid in either money or product. For a time in the history of the US slaves lived on the plantations and worked under a varied set of conditions, some good and some atrocious. But the term plantation only refers to the 'farm/estate' and not to the people who worked there or the circumstances of their working there. So plantation is a neutral term as far as racial diversity goes.

When a housing development calls itself a plantation, it is probably hoping to convey that it is a well arranged and organized collection of little tenant houses (some of which are quite large and expensive) on an attractive (and otherwise useful) piece of land. The HOA is like the overseer/steward of the community. Yes, a little pretentious. No, not refering to any historical social issues.

Old 02-06-2015, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stringbean16 View Post
Most of the new home, planned communities are called "Plantation" something or other. Slavery is not the idea behind the name, come on. I think that's stretching it and a little hyper sensitive. I've lived in the south for two years and all races get along great. I saw more racism in liberal "diverse" California for 30 years. If you are going to not buy a house in a community because it's called "Plantation," then you are the one with the issue, not everyone else in the community.
Thanks, your comment is reasuring. Funny you mentioned California. Similar with Northern VA that is supposed to be so diverse, but there are areas such as Falls Church that are well known to be not very welcoming to minorities.

Old 02-06-2015, 08:22 PM

9,762 posts, read 15,691,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrtoanomaybe View Post
there are areas such as Falls Church that are well known to be not very welcoming to minorities.
A bit OT, but where in Falls Church is it not welcome to minorities? I've never heard of that.

Old 02-07-2015, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michgc View Post
A bit OT, but where in Falls Church is it not welcome to minorities? I've never heard of that.
Sorry, let me clarify. More specically, Falls Church, McLean and those areas are not welcoming to minorities from an economic class standpoint. Cost of living is so ridiculously high that typically minorities are not in financial position to live in those communities. Because of this, parts of NOVA tend to be segregated. Segregated more so by class, not necessarily because of racism.

Old 02-07-2015, 11:52 AM

289 posts, read 487,003 times
I agree with the other posters that the word "Plantation" is a bit pretentious, especially for the Flowers area, which has more of a reputation for a history of moonshine and bootlegging than as a Plantation (from what I have heard!). It's all in the marketing!

I would also agree that Flowers is moderately diverse. The majority of my neighborhood is white, but off the top of my head, I can think of three African American families and one Asian family near my house. With the influx of transplants to Clayton (upon which I think Flowers is capitalizing), you don't see the "Old South" like you used to, where white families live here, black families live here, etc.

Please remember that residents of Flowers Plantation may attend several different elementary and middle schools, depending on your address. These include East Clayton Elementary, Riverdell Elementary, and Riverwood Elementary, as well as Riverwood Middle and Archer Lodge Middle. I think everyone in Flowers Plantation goes to the new Corinth Holder High.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary