Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-06-2015, 03:57 AM

22 posts, read 39,429 times

Advertisements

I am trying to decide whether to move my family to Williamsburg, VA or Clayton, NC. Please provide any positive and negative information you can about either location. Please be honest because it seems as mosts folks on the forum leave positive posts about their experience, then people move and find the negatives the hard way.

Please include any info about crimes, gangs, minority make up, minority and majority behavior (attitudes/tolerance/segregation, etc.), and schools.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2015, 04:31 AM

22,665 posts, read 36,764,249 times
Do you think there is a significant population of people on this board that has lived in both places?

Old 02-06-2015, 06:23 AM

22 posts, read 39,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
Do you think there is a significant population of people on this board that has lived in both places?

I have owned six different homes in six different cities in various states. So yes, there may be someone that may have lived in both towns. Military folks move around a lot. Williamsburg is a big retirement town and from what I have read, quite a few older folks move to the counties outside of Raleigh to retire. So ther maybe someone that has also contemplated the same choices. Thanks

Old 02-06-2015, 08:26 AM

10,728 posts, read 22,813,762 times
Do you have job options in both? It is indeed a curious pairing...

Williamsburg is of course a Historical town, with William and Mary, Colonial Williamsburg, Busch Gardens, etc.

Clayton until a few years ago was a typical "small town" where Friday Night Football was probably the big excitement. In recent years is has exploded with sprawl from the hugh population growth in this area, so there are a lot of new (some might say cookie-cutter) suburbs. But it's not a "Historic" place at all like Williamsburg, and while you can say Williamsburg and people know where you mean, nobody outside this area will know what Clayton is, and with good reason, as ultimately it's one more exurb of a booming metro.

Old 02-06-2015, 09:15 AM

28 posts, read 45,726 times
Williamsburg to Chapel Hill would be a much closer comparison.

Old 02-06-2015, 09:34 AM

9,775 posts, read 15,776,851 times
I think if you give us a bit of your background, we might be better able to assist you. Are you looking for good schools, jobs, an historical setting, etc. I have never lived in either place, but lived in Northern Virginia for 12 years and now live in Chapel Hill. I have only been to Williamsburg as a tourist, admittedly several times. Clayton is a rural suburb really an "exurb" of Raleigh that has been getting built up over the last few years. People seem to be moving out that way for cheaper land/housing and for stable school assignments. I think it is only going to keep growing and become a nondescript suburb (that is, it will look like it can be an Anywhere, USA type of place) with dozens of subdivisions and big box stores.

I don't know anything about living in Williamsburg, but what that area has in spades over this area is the feeling of history. Of course every place has history, but the important events in history are so pronounced in the Williamsburg area that are just not evident in the Triangle. With Williamburg, Yorktown, and Jamestown nearby you can visit any time you want. Plus you are close to Virginia Beach, Norfolk, and Richmond with even more history and attractions, and with DC just 2 1/2 hours away, you have access to dozens of world-class museums. So, if that type of stuff is important to you, you might prefer Williamsburg. Clayton would be more "generic" for lack of a better term, although I am guessing the cost of living is lower.

As for the state overall, I prefer Virginia to North Carolina - a bit more progressive and cheaper taxes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary