Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-07-2015, 02:34 PM

27 posts, read 59,647 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone! I've found some previous threads about traveling on Amtrak from here to D.C., but most of them are several years old. So, I wanted to get some more current information.

I am looking to possibly book travel from Raleigh to D.C. on Amtrak for myself, my spouse, and our two kids (4 and 1). The trip looks to be around 6 hours and 20 minutes. Just so you know, the duration itself is not an intimidating thought for me. In fact, it seems more doable than driving, because 1) my husband and I will be able to attend to our kids since we won't be in the front seat of the car, 2) there are snack/dining options, and 3) there are ways to move around inside the train and keep our kids occupied (views, etc.).

Here are my questions:
1. Am I being naive? Is this a crazy idea?
2. Has anyone done this route with kids? What was your experience?
3. There are options on the Carolinian and the Silver Star. Which should we take?
4. Is it worth it to upgrade to Business Class, or would Coach seats be sufficient?
5. Have you experienced delays on this line that resulted in arrivals of an hour or more past the estimate?
6. Do you have anything to share that might add to my decision making?

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2015, 03:22 PM

1,965 posts, read 3,309,124 times
I know you're asking for recent opinions, but there will be a few things that most likely haven't changed.

For the most part, the views are rural farmland or forest.. Passing through dilapidated towns and decaying buildings. There are a few areas that have attractive, well maintained ante-bellum houses. These are in VA. The main stop in DC takes forever as they change over to electric engine from diesel (heading North).

The children would mostly run back and forth screaming in the aisles, but at least the foot room was more than a plane.

I don't know if this is still the case, but freight trains had the right of way and delay travel; sometimes significantly.

Oddly enough, all of this seemed to beat driving during the holidays from NYC to DC to NC. Hopefully it's improved but somehow I doubt it..

Old 02-07-2015, 03:22 PM

2,047 posts, read 2,517,144 times
I've never made the D.C. trip. Only between Raleigh and Charlotte. If you decide to make this trip. Don't depart from Raleigh if possible. Cary's station is much better for quite a few reasons. Most importantly plenty of parking. You will need a parking pass in Raleigh due to the extremely limited parking. Also the waiting area is much larger and nicer. With kids that will a big factor.

Coach has always been fine to me plenty of room. If you can get 4 seats together you should be fine. They have areas the reserve for groups and families. At least they did a year or so ago,on my last trip.

You can get around walking pretty well. Easy bathroom breaks for the little ones. Always positive. The snack bar was kinda pricy but good to gave on a long trip.

I would ride the train to D.C. Avoiding that traffic is reason enough.

Old 02-07-2015, 03:32 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,160,949 times
We tried the Carolinian to DC from Raleigh and back.

Business Class gave a better experience but is only on the Carolinian.

Train takes you to DC Union station with a Metro station in the same building.

Raleigh station is well worn but safe. New station is coming in a few years. Cary might be a better choice,

Old 02-07-2015, 03:52 PM

27 posts, read 59,647 times
Thanks for the responses so far! The information about parking at the Cary vs. Raleigh train station is super helpful. I will plan on booking our tickets from Cary. It's also good to know about Business Class on the Carolinian. We will definitely look into that. Since I've never taken this route, knowing about the views is also helpful. Is there a car that's more of an observation car?

Thanks for taking the time to reply. I am eagerly awaiting any additional information folks can provide. Have a great day!

Old 02-07-2015, 04:06 PM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,383,794 times
I have ridden the Silver Star that runs through Raleigh on it's way to NY. Most times the train runs late by about 15-60 min. Last Sept. we were 4 hrs late getting into DC. ( commuter train ahead broke down and they put those passengers on our train and some were standing)

It is cheaper for me as senior to take the train rather then drive but with my spouse along driving is cheaper and faster.

Like others have said there is not much scenery between Raleigh and DC and if your kids are seen running up and down the aisle I will not be a pleasant trip for you.

IMO put the kids in the car and leave the train to us old folks.

BTW, the seats in coach are just like plane seats but with more leg room and you do have 120 volt outlets for your devices.

Old 02-07-2015, 04:09 PM

2,511 posts, read 2,817,009 times
My brother-in-law has taken the train to and back from DC. He strongly recommends that if you can, you should spend just the little extra for business class. I think he said that they help you with your bags and let you board first, plus the business class waiting areas are a bit nicer. I look forward to doing this myself soon.

Make sure you come back and let us know how your trip went!

Old 02-07-2015, 05:38 PM

286 posts, read 749,655 times
My Mom has taken the Carolinian to DC for years to visit my sister. Coach is usually crowded if not full. Definitely pay the extra for Business Class seats. Also, the train is NEVER on time as someone else mentioned. When she has ridden the train is always 30 min to 1.5 hours late.

Old 02-07-2015, 05:46 PM

5,570 posts, read 7,271,095 times
I've taken the Carolinian Business Class from Cary to Union Station a few times in the last few years, and I will continue to do so on the trips where I don't need my car up in the DC area. It's comfortable and there's plenty of room to move around. Much more civilized than traveling by plane.

It's especially nice during the holidays when traffic on I-95 is atrocious. It can take a little longer, but it's much more relaxing. I would only do it if time were not an issue. If it's crucial that you arrive by a certain time, it's probably not a good choice. When there are delays, they can be substantial.

I typically pack a lunch so that I don't have to pay the atrocious prices in the dining car for microwaved food. (Plus with my food sensitivities, it's just easier to control what I can eat if I bring it with me). Drinks are complimentary in business class.

Like others have said, there's not a lot for scenery, but I still found it nice to just watch the countryside glide by. And there's one town (can't remember the name) that the train goes through very slowly because the homes are very close to the tracks ... the really neat thing is that everyone in the town waved at the train as it went by. A cyclist stopped to wave, a dad and son stopped raking leaves to wave, a little old lady waved from her front porch ... I'm looking forward to my next trip so hopefully I can figure out what town that was!

Old 02-07-2015, 06:20 PM

184 posts, read 311,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apexgds View Post
I've taken the Carolinian Business Class from Cary to Union Station a few times in the last few years, and I will continue to do so on the trips where I don't need my car up in the DC area. It's comfortable and there's plenty of room to move around. Much more civilized than traveling by plane.

It's especially nice during the holidays when traffic on I-95 is atrocious. It can take a little longer, but it's much more relaxing. I would only do it if time were not an issue. If it's crucial that you arrive by a certain time, it's probably not a good choice. When there are delays, they can be substantial.

I typically pack a lunch so that I don't have to pay the atrocious prices in the dining car for microwaved food. (Plus with my food sensitivities, it's just easier to control what I can eat if I bring it with me). Drinks are complimentary in business class.

Like others have said, there's not a lot for scenery, but I still found it nice to just watch the countryside glide by. And there's one town (can't remember the name) that the train goes through very slowly because the homes are very close to the tracks ... the really neat thing is that everyone in the town waved at the train as it went by. A cyclist stopped to wave, a dad and son stopped raking leaves to wave, a little old lady waved from her front porch ... I'm looking forward to my next trip so hopefully I can figure out what town that was!
Was that in Virginia? Most likely it was Ashland, VA just north of Richmond. You also get some nice views of the beautiful Randolph Macon College campus as you are in Ashland.

Business class is the way to go for sure. The outlets at the seat next to the wall are nice to have to keep latops, and Ipads charged on the journey. Also with Business class your car is right next to the snack bar car which is nice to have close by. Pricey but with no other options what are you to do. Plus also the snack bar car has dining tables and outlets are provided there as well. I've taken the Carolinian before from Baltimore to Charlotte via NE direct to Washington, DC. It is very nice. I have noticed that some people frown upon the children being in the business class car during the weekedays but they also have the quiet car so they can go there and sit down if need be (biz travelers). I hope you enjoy the trip on Amtrak. It is a fun time and as a kid, I was thrilled with it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary