Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2015, 12:04 PM

68 posts, read 144,230 times

Advertisements

I have lived in the Southwest most of my life. I lived on the West coast for about 4 years. In my own experience there was little difference between the two. I kind of got an, "Everywhere is the same, but different." attitude about it.

The furthest East i have been is Florida, but I was 13, and don't know that my 13 year old was outwardly aware enough to really "see" the culture beyond the entertainment, but it still felt relatively like everywhere else did.

So, lately, I have been reading a good friends blog. She lived in Charlotte at the time the blog was written. She is from NC, and still lives there, but she isn't huge on the Triangle, and so not a great person to ask... BUT anyway, her blog was very vivid and talked about how she spent her time. It made me think... wow... culture shock! Which i wasn't expecting at all.

Anyway, I want to hear from those who transplanted from the land where everything is the same, but different... is it true? Or is the Triangle/North Carolina really very different? And if so, what stood out to you the most?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2015, 08:43 PM

1,965 posts, read 3,299,278 times
This has been asked many times, but everything is different, from the culture, climate, the geography. You should go and visit yourself and see if it's for you.

The rural parts can be very stagnant; with many people whose family roots go back for generations.

Old 02-08-2015, 09:52 PM

34,937 posts, read 36,167,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoaminRebel View Post
This has been asked many times, but everything is different, from the culture, climate, the geography. You should go and visit yourself and see if it's for you.

The rural parts can be very stagnant; with many people whose family roots go back for generations.
This really is the best answer to your question, OP. Rural areas are a culture shock unless you're from a rural area. That said...

I think that, sticking to more urban and less rural areas, the culture shock isn't quite so dramatic no matter where you go here in the US.

Naturally, if you're from a very large city and you move to a very small one (or vice versa) the chances for some degree of culture shock are greater.

But, between cities/geographic areas of similar size/density, I think you find more of that "the same, but different" thing happening.

Old 02-10-2015, 10:49 AM

8 posts, read 61,735 times
Can you link blog? I'd like to see critique of charlotte v triangle.

Old 02-18-2015, 08:27 PM

42 posts, read 58,368 times
Culture shock, where do I begin? We just moved from So Cal to a small, rural town just outside of Raleigh 5 months ago. Both my husband and myself wanted the change - primarily for our young children. It wasn't a move for a job, or any other reason aside from researching a great place to live based off of our 'personal criteria' of wants and needs - and a love affair we have with the South. Also, we were tired of the West Coast lifestyle; the hustle and bustle, the keeping up with the jones's, the high taxes, the inflated real estate, the crime.

We dreamed of owning some land and space for a small hobby farm, So we were prepared (somewhat) for how 'different' things would be. With that said, 'City life' in Southern California vs NC country life - a HUGE difference for two adults in their 40's, who have never lived anywhere else but sunny So cal.

Now most 'normal' people don't do what we did; leave city life on the west coast, for a country life on the east coast (in the south). But fortunately, we are not 'normal' and truly enjoy adventure and change. With that said, I have faced a few 'hiccups' along the way; (still am) and I can share a bit from the trenches, since you asked

Firstly, I want to begin by saying that we had many West coast people who had 'gone before us' try to talk us into moving to 'Cary or Apex' simply because, and i quote; "because that is where we will find people like "US". Ok so they are all well meaning, but to be honest, this move was also about 'getting away' from 'people like us'. There are so many beautiful things about living here! absorbing the culture was what we wanted, and when we visit Cary or Apex, we have only had amazing experiences. But country living has treated well, and given the chance for a do over, we would not change a thing.

As for us, the Culture shock was a bit 'delayed'. We were very pre-occupied with our cross country move; selling our Ca home, buying a home on the other side of the country, selling most of what we could, driving across the state lines with kids and dog in tow, all the excitement! Then the unpacking, the painting, and planting and getting settled in the new house. It was all so novel! Soon after, the holidays arrive, and we rode the waves of that, with out of town family visiting here and there....and then January hit. The dust settles, Crickets chirping, the novelty of the move has worn off, and the day in day out rhythms of life officially begin.

Personally - I have a theory that 'culture shock' is a very individual thing. For me, it's the bugs, the humidity, the weather, and the two lane roads, oh and the random gunshots that go off here and there (that will happen in more of the rural areas). Also, one thing I realized that I wasn't expecting - we spent so much time thinking about all the reasons why we wanted to leave the west coast, now that we are here, we realize that we didn't spend much time enjoying the things we loved about the west coast. I guess that's wasted energy now, but it should be something I bring up to one wanting to leave the West Coast for 'greener pastures'. It's not that one is better than the other, they are both just different. There is no perfect place. It's all a compromise. But with that said, I have my own little list of things that occupy my thoughts in the culture shock box of my mind;

The first thing I had to accept is that a country mile is different than a highway mile. Most of the shops and groceries stores that I like shopping at are at least 20 to 30 miles away via a two lane country road. I get lost everytime I get into my car. Having known So Cal like the back of my hand, this is something that is much harder than I ever anticipated, and to be honest, this aspect caught me off guard. One day my phone died and I was about an hour away from home, and I literally almost had a panic attack. (I had left my charger in my husbands car by accident) I had to drive around aimlessly searching for a walmart or a cvs, just to run in and BUY myself a car charger, so I could plug in and ask Suri to get me home! Even if I had stopped at a gas station to ask for directions, (old school), there is absolutely no way I could have found my way home. The country roads are too confusing and the topography of the trees make it difficult to figure out just where you are. I would have to say this has been the hardest part of my personal 'culture shock' since I am an independant person, and I very much dislike have to rely on technology for much of anything this important.

Now, lets talk bugs. Here in the south they are giant, hungry, evil creatures that lie in wait for some poor, unsuspecting West coast soul to ambush - day or night. Forget laying on a blanket in the park, forget pic-nics and working in your garden and sipping sweet tea on your porch, gone are the west coast days of perfect breezes with the doors open on a summer day; Most of our first summer here was spent googling the best bug repellant and finally drenching ourselves in heaps of skin so soft.

In California I was able to keep my windows open all day long, and probably swat a few flies here and there, but in NC one is swatting necks and legs whiles making a mad dash to run out to ones mail box! And GAWD forbid you leave your front door open for 2 seconds. Once they are in, pray they don't find your bedroom. Buzzing little boogers will keep you up all night. They bite through your clothing, and they love to eat your face! I had never heard of the term 'no see'em's' before moving here. I guess those are the tiny mosquitos that you don't see - yet they take to eating your flesh raw and leaving behind in their wake an itch that will keep you awake all night long. Don't even get me started about the size of the spiders and the huge webs you will find yourself walking right into. Not for the faint of heart or arachnophobics like me. I am outdoorsy and I am a nature lover, but the bug situation here has been a huge hiccup for me.

And then there is the obvious space that separates you from all you have ever known or loved. that 2200 miles between there from here will be felt when you hear a West coast friend or family member is sick or struggling, and you cannot be there ' in a jif' - without moving hell or high water to fly or drive over to be with them. This should go without even saying, but when that phone call comes, it's a toughie. Moving from the Pacific to the Atlantic is no joke.

We are slowly feeling a bit more 'at home' here. The people are wonderful (for the most part) and I love that I know families who own farms that date back to 100 years or more. You never see that in California. It's really beautiful and has existed for me soley in books and conversation. To meet people who have 'land' and farms is a true joy for me to share with our kids. It's just common here, but to this so cal native, it's really cool to hear the stories!

We love that we have real farm stands on almost every corner, but beware, if you are a starbucks lover or coffee snob, better leave that on the west coast. Happily, this is one place where most towns won't see the likes of Starbucks on every corner. The pace of life is slower here. Our neighbors enjoy one another, in CA we didn't really know our neighbors.

It's a great place to be and like I said, if given a do over, we would not change a thing. But 'culture shock' is a real thing and it can throw you a bit if your not prepared.

I apologize for the long winded post here, and thank you if your still reading!

Old 02-18-2015, 09:38 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,068,100 times
OMG... I love the above post! I am
laughing so hard at the bug part and the getting lost and having to find a place to buy a phone charger to get home!!!

I know you weren't necessarily trying to be funny but LOLZ!!!!

Old 02-18-2015, 09:49 PM

17,825 posts, read 15,486,584 times
I moved to NC 13 yrs ago from Northern CA. Yes, big culture shock. I remember driving around and thinking, "there's no there there!" At that time I saw mostly strip malls and big malls. The walkable cute neighborhoods were very limited. Downtown was kind of a big nothing back then, it's gotten better in the years since. There were many times I wondered if I had made a big mistake.

I still have those days, to be honest. This is a great place to raise a family. Not so great if one is single, middle age, no family and no other ties. However, like any place, it is more than a sum of it's parts and it definitely has its charms. But it's vastly different than southwest or CA, so don't come here without spending some time here first to really check it out.

Old 02-19-2015, 12:44 AM

1,965 posts, read 3,299,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsadventure2014 View Post
Culture shock, where do I begin? We just moved from So Cal to a small, rural town just outside of Raleigh 5 months ago. Both my husband and myself wanted the change - primarily for our young children. It wasn't a move for a job, or any other reason aside from researching a great place to live based off of our 'personal criteria' of wants and needs - and a love affair we have with the South. Also, we were tired of the West Coast lifestyle; the hustle and bustle, the keeping up with the jones's, the high taxes, the inflated real estate, the crime.

Regrettably, there's plenty of crime in NC. You'll see. It's just that they don't have the hype culture of the media to draw so much attention to it.

We dreamed of owning some land and space for a small hobby farm, So we were prepared (somewhat) for how 'different' things would be. With that said, 'City life' in Southern California vs NC country life - a HUGE difference for two adults in their 40's, who have never lived anywhere else but sunny So cal.

I really enjoy my little hobby farm. Obviously you'll have different crops and experiences than in SoCal. No citrus and (as you can guess) a perpetual battle with weeds and bugs! But plums, peaches, some pears, watermelons all do well there. I even had some luck with some apples although the Raleigh area is bit too hot for their liking and they will experience fruit drop. Depending on your acreage, you'll probably find you will need to brush mow the field once or twice a year. I usually do it when I come to visit family in December. The grass is dry and dead and easy to cut.

Now most 'normal' people don't do what we did; leave city life on the west coast, for a country life on the east coast (in the south). But fortunately, we are not 'normal' and truly enjoy adventure and change. With that said, I have faced a few 'hiccups' along the way; (still am) and I can share a bit from the trenches, since you asked

Personally - I have a theory that 'culture shock' is a very individual thing. For me, it's the bugs, the humidity, the weather, and the two lane roads, oh and the random gunshots that go off here and there (that will happen in more of the rural areas). Also, one thing I realized that I wasn't expecting - we spent so much time thinking about all the reasons why we wanted to leave the west coast, now that we are here, we realize that we didn't spend much time enjoying the things we loved about the west coast.

You have to be without something to appreciate it. I've met affluent people in L.A. who could never conceive of the outlook of someone living their life in a poor, rural NC town. There's a reason why the COL is so high in L.A.... high demand..

I guess that's wasted energy now, but it should be something I bring up to one wanting to leave the West Coast for 'greener pastures'. It's not that one is better than the other, they are both just different. There is no perfect place. It's all a compromise. But with that said, I have my own little list of things that occupy my thoughts in the culture shock box of my mind;

The first thing I had to accept is that a country mile is different than a highway mile. Most of the shops and groceries stores that I like shopping at are at least 20 to 30 miles away via a two lane country road. I get lost everytime I get into my car.

Those two lane country roads are narrow!! I can still vividly remember some harrowing experiences coming face to face with a passing tractor trailer coming the opposite direction. During harvest time, many an unlucky traveler would get stuck behind a long line tobacco laden trailers drawn on by a slow moving tractor. Little tobacco leaves would be flying off here and there.

Having known So Cal like the back of my hand, this is something that is much harder than I ever anticipated, and to be honest, this aspect caught me off guard. One day my phone died and I was about an hour away from home, and I literally almost had a panic attack. (I had left my charger in my husbands car by accident) I had to drive around aimlessly searching for a walmart or a cvs, just to run in and BUY myself a car charger, so I could plug in and ask Suri to get me home! Even if I had stopped at a gas station to ask for directions, (old school), there is absolutely no way I could have found my way home.

I don't know if they still do, but country boys used to use CB alot before cell phones. If you got stuck in the mud or needed help hauling in some filthy critter you just shot they could call for help.

The country roads are too confusing and the topography of the trees make it difficult to figure out just where you are. I would have to say this has been the hardest part of my personal 'culture shock' since I am an independant person, and I very much dislike have to rely on technology for much of anything this important.

Having the opposite experience, the lack of trees in SoCal got me at first! I could see forever!! At first my mind was vexed.. The sun was so bright and unfiltered!

Now, lets talk bugs. Here in the south they are giant, hungry, evil creatures that lie in wait for some poor, unsuspecting West coast soul to ambush - day or night. Forget laying on a blanket in the park, forget pic-nics and working in your garden and sipping sweet tea on your porch, gone are the west coast days of perfect breezes with the doors open on a summer day; Most of our first summer here was spent googling the best bug repellant and finally drenching ourselves in heaps of skin so soft.

In California I was able to keep my windows open all day long, and probably swat a few flies here and there, but in NC one is swatting necks and legs whiles making a mad dash to run out to ones mail box! And GAWD forbid you leave your front door open for 2 seconds. Once they are in, pray they don't find your bedroom. Buzzing little boogers will keep you up all night. They bite through your clothing, and they love to eat your face! I had never heard of the term 'no see'em's' before moving here. I guess those are the tiny mosquitos that you don't see - yet they take to eating your flesh raw and leaving behind in their wake an itch that will keep you awake all night long. Don't even get me started about the size of the spiders and the huge webs you will find yourself walking right into. Not for the faint of heart or arachnophobics like me. I am outdoorsy and I am a nature lover, but the bug situation here has been a huge hiccup for me.

This is why completely organic farming on a large scale is infeasible in places like NC. You go back a few days later and bugs have ravaged the plants! Don't forget biting flies, they like to hang around deer trails and suck your blood. You've only been here 5 months, just wait till next June-August. You won't be outside much then..

And then there is the obvious space that separates you from all you have ever known or loved. that 2200 miles between there from here will be felt when you hear a West coast friend or family member is sick or struggling, and you cannot be there ' in a jif' - without moving hell or high water to fly or drive over to be with them. This should go without even saying, but when that phone call comes, it's a toughie. Moving from the Pacific to the Atlantic is no joke.

I don't know how much you flew before, but this is something you can definitely get used to. I come at least twice a year to NC and sometimes piggy back it on a business trip somewhere else. With laptops you can even be productive nowadays on the plane. Depending on where you are I-540 can make getting to RDU pretty easy. Before I was farther from LAX though, and always dreaded the drive in L.A. once returned..

We are slowly feeling a bit more 'at home' here. The people are wonderful (for the most part) and I love that I know families who own farms that date back to 100 years or more. You never see that in California. It's really beautiful and has existed for me soley in books and conversation. To meet people who have 'land' and farms is a true joy for me to share with our kids. It's just common here, but to this so cal native, it's really cool to hear the stories!

We love that we have real farm stands on almost every corner, but beware, if you are a starbucks lover or coffee snob, better leave that on the west coast. Happily, this is one place where most towns won't see the likes of Starbucks on every corner. The pace of life is slower here. Our neighbors enjoy one another, in CA we didn't really know our neighbors.

That's interesting, I used to see alot more farm stands in Ventura county than I did in NC. Even thinking back to NC 40 years ago..

It's a great place to be and like I said, if given a do over, we would not change a thing. But 'culture shock' is a real thing and it can throw you a bit if your not prepared.

I apologize for the long winded post here, and thank you if your still reading!
Great Post! Enjoy your adventure. -RR

Old 02-19-2015, 06:41 AM

9,355 posts, read 14,014,289 times
It would be impossible for me to compare my California childhood to what CA must be like now, so culture shock in Raleigh is a moot point. What cannot have changed is the bug issue, and it is not THAT bad here. The big diff is the mosquitos. In SoCal the mosquitos only came out a half hour in the morning and a half hour in the evening. Avoid those exposures and you were home free! But as for spiders, we had black widows, and they came inside the house. Very scary if you had children. Here we just have the writing spiders, big and scary, but they stay put in their fascinating webs outdoors and they are only obvious maybe for a month. Both places have snakes from time to time, but I never saw any anywhere unless I went looking for them.

California soils seemed much more fertile than here, all you needed to add was water. But take for example raising tomatoes. Not much trouble in NC, but in CA you had to constantly prevent attacks of tobacco budworm/hornworm. Daily! Horse farms: Much larger in NC, tiny in CA. Color: NC is mostly green, green, green. Lots of pine trees trying to take over.

People: religion is discussed more here in NC. CA has some colorful cultural enclaves live Olivera St. in LA, while in NC not so much. Places to visit: lots of magnificent beauty in CA, beauty in NC is seen on a smaller scale, doesn't necessarily 'knock your socks off' but it is everywhere.

Old 02-19-2015, 03:13 PM

13,661 posts, read 12,344,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsadventure2014 View Post
I get lost everytime I get into my car. Having known So Cal like the back of my hand, this is something that is much harder than I ever anticipated, and to be honest, this aspect caught me off guard. One day my phone died and I was about an hour away from home, and I literally almost had a panic attack. (I had left my charger in my husbands car by accident) I had to drive around aimlessly searching for a walmart or a cvs, just to run in and BUY myself a car charger, so I could plug in and ask Suri to get me home! Even if I had stopped at a gas station to ask for directions, (old school), there is absolutely no way I could have found my way home. The country roads are too confusing and the topography of the trees make it difficult to figure out just where you are. I would have to say this has been the hardest part of my personal 'culture shock' since I am an independant person, and I very much dislike have to rely on technology for much of anything this important.
I agree with you about how difficult it is not knowing how to get places. The city I was in previously I had a grid that stretched the entire county (and then some) that allowed you to know where you were. It didn't take but a week to figure it out. When I came to Raleigh it seemed like two months before I figured out how to get to my Harris Teeter from anywhere else but my apartment. It does get better though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary