Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-09-2015, 07:51 AM

178 posts, read 580,407 times

Advertisements

I need some suggestions on retirement neighborhoods for my folks to look at when they are visiting this April.

Their needs are different, as they have an 11 year age gap. (61+72)

My mom needs some sort of community/activities possibly a pool/recreation or activity center, walking trails etc. My dad is older and needs one level living or at least the master bedroom on the first floor.

The would consider a townhouse, but prefer a single family home, with a deck/screened in porch etc, something to sit out and enjoy the outdoors, a garage and a driveway. (no street/parallel parking), no apartment buildings/second floor condo's or anything like that.

It does not need to be 55+, but they wold like it sort of out of the way of major driving/traffic, so some smaller areas. We have looked on line at a few smaller neighborhoods with in 30min-1hour of either Durham or Raleigh. Golden Pond in Creedmoor seemed to fit their bill. The reason for that example is that they are single family homes with not huge lots (.3-.5 acres), but larger and more trees/privacy than a lot of the other cookie cutter neighborhoods that were clear cut. They currently have 1.5 acres to maintain. They are not "in-town" folks, and do not need walking distance than anything other than what the community provides, and a major grocery store with in a few miles (at least 10-15 min) which I don't think would be difficult to find. That area in Creedmoor was also with in their price range with 2-3 bedrooms, 2 baths for $120K-$180K. They don't need a huge house to maintain, but most of the houses in that area were still a good size of 1,200-1,600'. Some of the older community type neighborhoods I looked at were very tiny at 7 to 900sq feet, which is just way too cramped. We also found some nice n'hoods around Holly Springs and Clayton as well. A few in Chapel Hill, but the affordable ones for them seemed to be way out in the woods, too private and less of some sort of community for them to meet new people.

They are coming from a rural town of 12,000 pop, which is the largest of the surrounding towns, and very spread out. So having to get to amentities is not an issue, however I don't want them WAY way out in case they need to go to a hospital etc., and where they currently live they are having a hard time meeting new people and neighbors (when every one is 1-4 acres apart from one another!)

Thanks!!!
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2015, 08:45 AM

13,340 posts, read 26,824,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernNE View Post
My mom needs some sort of community/activities possibly a pool/recreation or activity center, walking trails etc. My dad is older and needs one level living or at least the master bedroom on the first floor.
Fearrington in Pittsboro would fit their needs as it has a pool, walking trails and other recreation. It is adjacent to a Duke wellness center. There's one ranch house at $170K.

Old 02-11-2015, 04:22 PM

178 posts, read 580,407 times
Thank you, I will pass that website along! Do you know if there are a lot of extra fees/taxes/HOA's type stuff? I found the website, but I don't see the house for sale.

Old 02-11-2015, 04:36 PM

19,374 posts, read 27,612,459 times
Fearrington Village Homes for Sale, Chapel Hill NC Residential Real Estate

The one listed for $170K is at the bottom of the list. I'm afraid that their price range is going to be fairly difficult for them.

Old 02-11-2015, 04:40 PM

12,798 posts, read 16,231,471 times
What do you mean by a "retirement community"? That's a pretty broad umbrella and there are a lot of different things that could fall under that — over 55 community, CCRC, etc.

There are tons of neighborhoods around that might work for them. I know there are a lot of retired folks at Falconbridge in Chapel Hill.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary