Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2015, 12:53 PM

304 posts, read 369,902 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyn7cyn View Post
How expensive can it really be to moderate?
Whatever it costs to pay an employee to do it. How much does it cost to have someone sit at a desk and answer a phone? Same sort of thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2015, 01:15 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,258,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly237 View Post
This is exactly why I would not post comments that were linked to my facebook account..
It's just like this forum..I post opinions that may not be popular or PC ...

Why doesn't WRAL just operate like many forums..Let people be anonymous but
use a moderator to keep the rude posts off..
WRAL DOES MODERATE.

So, imagine what you didn't see?

Old 02-09-2015, 01:16 PM

Quote:
How expensive can it really be to moderate? First they used Golo then they went in house,now FB. I don't read it as much as I used to, but I did always notice that several of my posts and especially my husbands never made it online without reason.If you make any remark that is critical of media it's zilch.
Yes. WRAL doesn't have any free moderators. And the volume is such that moderation is expensive. Another benefit to using FB is that they have less liability. FB has to remove the posts if they violate FB guidelines.

Old 02-09-2015, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdocstr View Post
Whatever it costs to pay an employee to do it. How much does it cost to have someone sit at a desk and answer a phone? Same sort of thing.
Moderating a high-traffic site like WRAL around the clock would cost them good money. And, the moderators take a ton of abuse. I once knew a WRAL moderator. She hated that place after doing that job for awhile.

Old 02-09-2015, 01:20 PM

1,545 posts, read 1,874,561 times
This worked with another site temporarily but it also allows for people to comment by creating a disqus account. For a while ignorant comments were at bay, then people simply signed up via the disqus account with fake generated emails and the ignorance continued.

Old 02-09-2015, 01:34 PM

8,704 posts, read 10,901,046 times
Quote:
How expensive can it really be to moderate? First they used Golo then they went in house,now FB. I don't read it as much as I used to, but I did always notice that several of my posts and especially my husbands never made it online without reason.If you make any remark that is critical of media it's zilch.
Not sure. We volunteer our time and efforts here on C.D.. Not sure if it would be the same with WRAL?????

Old 02-09-2015, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
Moderating a high-traffic site like WRAL around the clock would cost them good money. And, the moderators take a ton of abuse. I once knew a WRAL moderator. She hated that place after doing that job for awhile.
I've always been kind of fascinated at how so many folks perceive the Internet as we know it as something that's just kind of out there, sustaining itself. They don't realize how much money it takes to develop and operate most of the services they use. I guess because so many of them are funded by ads that users don't feel the cost directly.

It's a phenomenon that's a bit like taxation. We seem to just expect the public parks, roads, infrastructure, utilities and stuff to exist through self-sustenance. Everything remotely worthwhile has a price.

Now if we could only figure out a way to replace taxation completely using marketing revenue. Maybe we could give people the option -- instead of paying taxes, we have to go and listen to a couple of condo sales seminars each week

Old 02-09-2015, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Pinellas_Guy View Post
Not sure. We volunteer our time and efforts here on C.D.
Only question is WHY? Time is money. There are a lot of things I would consider volunteering to do, but none of them would feed someone else's revenue machine.

I know as a volunteer you can walk away from it if you get weary. I'm just curious what you get out of it on a personal level?

Old 02-09-2015, 01:41 PM

Let me ask this. How would you feel if C.D. was to make the same change here? Would everyone want their personal FaceBook account required to post here? Would it increase or decrease the input?

Old 02-09-2015, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdocstr View Post
Only question is WHY? Time is money. There are a lot of things I would consider volunteering to do, but none of them would feed someone else's revenue machine.

I know as a volunteer you can walk away from it if you get weary. I'm just curious what you get out of it on a personal level?
I was a go to person for most of my career. For things to get done, they had to go through me. I felt great satisfaction being a part of making sure things worked efficiently. Then my health took an unexpected nosedive and now I am relegated to a recliner, walker, wheelchair, etc. I have very limited amounts of consecutive time that I can even sit up straight. The privilege of being allowed to moderate on C.D. helps me feel like I have a purpose again. I am very thankful for this opportunity. It feels good to matter again and I am able to do it on my limited schedule and according to how bad I feel each day.

I also started a group to help people in need and have 3,000 members there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary