Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2015, 08:09 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,231,960 times

Advertisements

I just wanted to tell you that the title of this thread makes me smile.

Old 02-12-2015, 08:51 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,927,777 times
50% of kids are below average - except in Chapel Hill and Lake Wobegon, where everyone is above average.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2015, 10:53 AM

11,221 posts, read 8,292,938 times
I echo the other answers and don't feel a need to repeat more of the same.

This quote caught my attention, and I agree 100%. Just make it fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamishra View Post
I think creating a love for reading at this age is more important, it's hard to love it when it's a struggle or not fun.
It made me think of Andy Griffith when Opie and the boys rebelled against Ms. Krumpp. I'm not trying to be funny here, there is a good lesson in this clip (as is the case with many of Andy's stories, may he RIP) He made learning fun, and they responded.

Enjoy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5QGe9kfqddQ

Old 02-12-2015, 11:27 AM

9,775 posts, read 15,776,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
50% of kids are below average - except in Chapel Hill and Lake Wobegon, where everyone is above average.
Well, technically, 50% of kids are below the median. Averages can be skewed pretty easily so that most students are above it, as they would be in...ahem...Chapel Hill.

Old 02-12-2015, 12:00 PM

2,541 posts, read 5,473,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
I just wanted to tell you that the title of this thread makes me smile.
I had assumed that the OP didn't mean her thread to be making fun of my earlier thread because she seems very worried about her child. However, the mean-spirited comments like this and others on my thread are completely uncalled for. Anytime a parent is showing concern for their child and seeking help/resources/encouragement I find it just terrible that people, particularly other mothers, should chide and make fun.

I have always loved the people in Raleigh, particularly on this board because of the friendliness, helpfulness and kindness everyone has always shown. Can we please return to regular programming and stop making fun of me??

Last edited by Ellen Pitts; 02-12-2015 at 12:13 PM..

Old 02-12-2015, 12:10 PM

169 posts, read 242,074 times
Would homeschooling him for a time be an option? I did it with mine because I could tell before we even started that he was "unique". It was the right choice. It took him a long time to learn to read-2 years of faithful work. By 8, he could read finally. We did not even start him in kindergarten until he was 6 years old because he was immature. He flourished under homeschooling because I was making choices about his school specifically catered to his needs/weaknesses. There is a TON of help with homeschooling these days and Wake County is full of homeschoolers. If you work, that might not be an option, but just throwing it out there in case it is.

Old 02-12-2015, 12:25 PM

9,196 posts, read 24,927,777 times
Years ago my oldest child was woefully behind in reading skills in early elementary grades. We did Hooked on Phonics (does that age me?) and worked with her on reading. Within a couple of years, she was reading just fine - and I don't think it's because of anything we did particularly; I just think developmentally that's when reading skills kicked in for her.

Old 02-12-2015, 12:47 PM

2,492 posts, read 3,028,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
X2!!

I had to repeat kindergarten too. I scored a paltry 1230 on my SATs.

Fast forward in life and I'm a pilot for a legacy airline.

OP don't worry about him falling behind. Not every one can be super smart . "Ignorance is bliss" is my motto...
Quote:
Originally Posted by pegotty View Post
I had assumed that the OP didn't mean her thread to be making fun of my earlier thread because she seems very worried about her child. However, the mean-spirited comments like this and others on my thread are completely uncalled for. Anytime a parent is showing concern for their child and seeking help/resources/encouragement I find it just terrible that people, particularly other mothers, should chide and make fun.

I have always loved the people in Raleigh, particularly on this board because of the friendliness, helpfulness and kindness everyone has always shown. Can we please return to regular programming and stop making fun of me??
Yep,its a conspiracy all about YOU. Really?

Old 02-12-2015, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pegotty View Post

You think my comment is mean-spirited?

You really misread it.

I think it's nice because the OP is obviously concerned about her child, but she's being so beautifully honest.

I don't know... it's nice. Because we often have people who swear their kids are splitting atoms at age 2 that roll onto the boards here, and let's be serious... that's just not likely. Why is it that every person who moves here has GIFTED kids that require only the top schools? We had one one time that was obsessed with getting a kid into Harvard and that child wasn't even in preschool yet. Good grief. Poor kid will probably have a nervous breakdown before s/he graduates elementary school.

Not all kids are geniuses. And there's nothing wrong with that. The OP's son may well wind up to be a late bloomer and he could go on to cure cancer, for all I know.

I just liked that she was being realistic in her expectations and looking for ways to help her child. That's why the title of this thread makes me smile.

Old 02-12-2015, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
Years ago my oldest child was woefully behind in reading skills in early elementary grades. We did Hooked on Phonics (does that age me?) and worked with her on reading. Within a couple of years, she was reading just fine - and I don't think it's because of anything we did particularly; I just think developmentally that's when reading skills kicked in for her.
Yeah. My middle kid hated reading. That's why he repeated kindy. He only liked nonfiction and there's just not a ton of that aimed at emerging readers. He read every joke book and book about science that they had in the library. And then some. It was when he started memorizing stats about the planets and their moons that his teacher realized that it wasn't that he was slow... it was that there was no content that could entice him and was at his level.

So... she got more selective with the books she offered him, and his reading skills soared. He's quite bright, turns out. Not an all-around genius, but he's got a good deal of talent in many areas and a huge vocabulary. All my kids have huge vocabularies, but this is probably parental influence. They all suck at math, but that's also something I think is my fault, to an extent. I suck at all but finance math for the most part.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary