Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-17-2015, 05:15 AM

2,511 posts, read 2,815,689 times

Advertisements

just North of Wake Forest here. Neighborhood streets are glazed with about 3/4 inch of ice. No loss of power in my neighborhood.

How are things/roads looking to the East of Raleigh? Zebulon? Wilson?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2015, 05:58 AM

9,848 posts, read 30,273,258 times
Happy to stay home for an adult snow day.

Old 02-17-2015, 06:22 AM

2,492 posts, read 3,028,204 times
I live on the exit from Hwy 50 unto west 70 . And I can honestly say it's the quitest morning EVER. I don't want it to end. No screeching cars,loud mufflers,loose belts and over done bass amplification. No revving it up for turn unto 70 today Jack****.

Old 02-17-2015, 06:23 AM

2,798 posts, read 2,988,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adams_aj View Post
just North of Wake Forest here. Neighborhood streets are glazed with about 3/4 inch of ice. No loss of power in my neighborhood.

How are things/roads looking to the East of Raleigh? Zebulon? Wilson?
I'm in Garner. Roads in my subdivision are coated with white stuff, which I think is a mixture of snow and sleet. No loss of power. Roads are untouched by plow or other maintenance vehicle. It's supposed to warm up this afternoon but we may not be going anywhere until this weekend if they don't plow the streets at least once before then (I could probably drive short distances in my 4wd but would prefer not to).

Old 02-17-2015, 06:43 AM

9,144 posts, read 14,752,031 times
Plowing is not really effective against this type of precipitation until it warms up. Even then the blade can only stay so close to the surface.

Old 02-17-2015, 06:45 AM

2,798 posts, read 2,988,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherifftruman View Post
Plowing is not really effective against this type of precipitation until it warms up. Even then the blade can only stay so close to the surface.
That's true. But seriously, if they don't do anything and the temps drop into the 20s, it's going to be a skating rink out there. I don't think the brine trucks are going to come through my little subdivision. If they scrape it with a plow, they might remove enough snow and sleet that the rest could melt a little this afternoon (assuming it actually warms up).

Old 02-17-2015, 06:48 AM

2,863 posts, read 4,674,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncrkd View Post
So, we ducked major ice buildup, is this correct?
Depends on how you look at it. Yes, no significant ice related power outages. But, schools will be closed for several days, if not all week.

Last edited by C_Lan; 02-17-2015 at 07:07 AM..

Old 02-17-2015, 07:04 AM

2,925 posts, read 3,337,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scratchie View Post
That's true. But seriously, if they don't do anything and the temps drop into the 20s, it's going to be a skating rink out there. I don't think the brine trucks are going to come through my little subdivision. If they scrape it with a plow, they might remove enough snow and sleet that the rest could melt a little this afternoon (assuming it actually warms up).
What about spreading salt or sand? Do they do that? I realize you can't plow this, it is so little but salting and sanding would help vs having so many businesses shut down for days.

Old 02-17-2015, 07:07 AM

2,983 posts, read 4,620,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scratchie View Post
I thought the brine was only used before the ice or snow.

Old 02-17-2015, 07:09 AM

251 posts, read 514,905 times
My little neighborhood street is covered in ice, as is my driveway. No power outages, thank goodness. I was worried about losing power, since we are on a well and if we lose power, we lose water AND it's going to be COLD the rest of the week. I have a feeling the kids aren't going back to school this week and it looks like we have the potential for another snow event on Monday. I just hope I can clear my driveway later.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary